DVLA query

Found 24th Mar 2007
Well, almost 3 weeks later and im still waiting for the v5 to arrive to get my new car on the road.

So, since ive got its service history i rang the old owner of the car to do a big of hunting around to see if i could chase the v5 up.

I already knew shed sold it to a dealership as when i bought the car in the windscreen it had "part exchange from carcraft", so i rang her to find out which carcraft shed sold it to to ring them for it.

Turns out she didnt sell it to carcraft at all - just a local dealer, but she was really nice and gave me there details anyway - so i rang them - to be told they sent the v5 off to the auction house - now there reckoning they didnt have it, and i cant even ring them as there shut today to chase them up.

I dont hold out much hope though for monday - as the day after i picked the new car up - they rang me asking if ANOTHER DIFFERENT cars keys were in it!

So, ive gotta hang on tight, and wait for the 6-8 weeks the dvla quoted me But that last dealer reckonded itll probably be longer due to all the new cars being registered.

So, anyway, what happens if 8 weeks comes, and ive still got no log book? Do i ring the DVLA up and complain or something?

They definatly said 8 weeks at the most.

I just wanna get my new car on the road!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
15 Comments

Why cant you drive it now????

Original Poster

As its got no v5 hence i cant tax it

Try the DVLA Website. You may be able to Tax the car online. Most MOT's are now held online, you are insured for the car?

Banned

as long as the MOT is the new style one

Original Poster

dinosteveus

Try the DVLA Website. You may be able to Tax the car online. Most MOT's … Try the DVLA Website. You may be able to Tax the car online. Most MOT's are now held online, you are insured for the car?

I cant as im not the registered keeper of the vechile, it will get sent to the person whos the car is still registered to.

Joshanna

I cant as im not the registered keeper of the vechile, it will get sent … I cant as im not the registered keeper of the vechile, it will get sent to the person whos the car is still registered to.

Can't you register the Car in your name online?
Have you got any part of the old V5?

Original Poster

dinosteveus

Can't you register the Car in your name online?Have you got any part of … Can't you register the Car in your name online?Have you got any part of the old V5?

You cant register a car to yourself at all online, it has to be done either in person at your local dvla office(which i did almost 3 weeks ago) they only send it to swansea for you.

Or you can do it over the phone - still takes time though, as in either case they have to write to the old owner to check theyve sold it, bit of a pain in the ass, i love the car, but the grief its giving me - sometimes i wish id never bought it.

Nope, i have no part of the log book at all - but ive got all its service history and mots etc.

In the meantime, ive rang the DVLA anyway, to be told, theyve sent the letter out to the old owner, and it will now be a maximum of 14 days until i get my documents, yay

could ask the previous owner whether she had a renewal letter through the post. if so could renew online using her details.

It actually states up to 6 weeks for your new V5 to arrive, give it chance. If after that it still hasnt arrived you have 2 choices, 1. take your green slip (assuming you have it, which you should, as this is the only proof that the vehicle is yours) along with MOT and insurance to the post office and they can tax the car as a "change of details" 2. if you dont have the green slip and/or the new V5 hasnt come...looks like your paying £19 for a new one at the local tax office.

just noticed u said u dont have the green slip...give it time and if no luck 19 quid it is!

Original Poster

Lulu'sMammy

It actually states up to 6 weeks for your new V5 to arrive, give it … It actually states up to 6 weeks for your new V5 to arrive, give it chance. If after that it still hasnt arrived you have 2 choices, 1. take your green slip (assuming you have it, which you should, as this is the only proof that the vehicle is yours) along with MOT and insurance to the post office and they can tax the car as a "change of details" 2. if you dont have the green slip and/or the new V5 hasnt come...looks like your paying £19 for a new one at the local tax office.

Ive got proof i own the car - a slip of paper stating payment from the auction house, with my details, and the car details on it.....
And, i havent moaned about the time scale, ive tried to speed it up myself.
Also, i was merely asking what to do if it hadnt arrived AFTER that time scale.

Original Poster

Lulu'sMammy

just noticed u said u dont have the green slip...give it time and if no … just noticed u said u dont have the green slip...give it time and if no luck 19 quid it is!

Ive also paid my £19 - hence ME stating the 6-8 week time scale.

Joshanna

Ive also paid my £19 - hence ME stating the 6-8 week time scale.

No need to get snotty now is there! .....Noone mentioned you had moaned, but am glad you stated that yourself, so deep down u obviously were moaning!

Original Poster

Lulu'sMammy

No need to get snotty now is there! .....Noone mentioned you had moaned, … No need to get snotty now is there! .....Noone mentioned you had moaned, but am glad you stated that yourself, so deep down u obviously were moaning!

:lazy: if i was moaning, id have posted there rubbish etc - and not tried to do something about it.
TBH im a bit fed up this week of arguments on here, and when i logged on, it looked asif youd rushed in and not read the facts.

Appreciate you took the time to reply, and sorry if it appeared i was being snooty.

People post their comments to help you,dont shoot people down, it gets their back up...apology accepted.
Post a comment
@
    Text