DVLA Summons - Unpaid Tax, Min - Max penalties?

Found 31st May 2011
As above, (it's a colleague, not me)

Unpaid tax, bike was seized, fined, paid fine, now summoned to Court, any one know the penalties?

o dear
- Nailez
Community Updates
Misc
15 Comments
Seems a little harsh considering the tax on a bike is so low.
Neighbour got fined £500 by the courts as well as paying the initial fine ( that was a car though ) .
Ouch

If your self employed sign on a week before you go to court will limit the fine you get.
If employed i hope you have huge out goings.
IE
My friend owed his dad thousands of pounds from his house deposit he gave him and his wedding ring etc so did not have much to pay for fines.
Hope it helps its best to be prepaired for the worst and hope for the best.
Does your "friend" not already know the possible consequences? Id have thought the summons would have outlined these. Making you nothing more than nosey!
Hi Dimebars thanks for your comment.

No advise or help just what we all need on here.

My friend got done for speeding not bike tax.
It just limits te fines you get.
Damage limitation is in order.
Look at this site it states
Car and vehicle tax

All motor vehicles must be taxed in order to be eligible for use on the road. Insurance and a valid MOT are required to tax a vehicle. The maximum penalty for not displaying a new tax disc in a car windscreen is £200. If a motor vehicle is not taxed there is an immediate £80 fine and the possibility of a County Court Judgement, which holds a minimum £1000 fine. The DVLA checks its tax database monthly and carries out wheel-clamping in conjunction with partner firms. Owners must pay a release fee of £100 and produce a tax disc within 24 hours or the vehicle will be impounded. If no tax disc is available the owner must pay a deposit of £160 for cars and motorcycles, rising up to £700 for other vehicles. The deposit will be refunded if a tax disc is produced within 2 weeks. If not, the deposit will be lost and the vehicle re-clamped. Release of an impounded vehicle costs £200 and a £21 per day storage fee — prosecution and fines of £1000 plus tax arrears could also be imposed upon offenders.

Exemption from tax is only available for persons on the higher rate of Disability Living Allowance, or War Pensioners Mobility Supplement.

lawontheweb.co.uk/Roa…MOT

Hope this helps
His outgoing are pretty high, it's probably on par with income to be fair,

Well he's thinking about telling the FD, and whether it would be good wise to or not, seeing if it could be a jail sentence? Or just a fine. I think that's more the worry than my curiosity.
whatsThePoint

I take it he chose not to tax it in the first place because he's been … I take it he chose not to tax it in the first place because he's been doing it for years and thought he'd never get caught

I believe he thought it was declared SORN, but apparently not.
bigwheels

Hi Dimebars thanks for your comment.No advise or help just what we all … Hi Dimebars thanks for your comment.No advise or help just what we all need on here.My friend got done for speeding not bike tax.It just limits te fines you get.Damage limitation is in order.Look at this site it statesCar and vehicle taxCheers Bigwheels, basically it's a get saving job. I'll pass it on :DAll motor vehicles must be taxed in order to be eligible for use on the road. Insurance and a valid MOT are required to tax a vehicle. The maximum penalty for not displaying a new tax disc in a car windscreen is £200. If a motor vehicle is not taxed there is an immediate £80 fine and the possibility of a County Court Judgement, which holds a minimum £1000 fine. The DVLA checks its tax database monthly and carries out wheel-clamping in conjunction with partner firms. Owners must pay a release fee of £100 and produce a tax disc within 24 hours or the vehicle will be impounded. If no tax disc is available the owner must pay a deposit of £160 for cars and motorcycles, rising up to £700 for other vehicles. The deposit will be refunded if a tax disc is produced within 2 weeks. If not, the deposit will be lost and the vehicle re-clamped. Release of an impounded vehicle costs £200 and a £21 per day storage fee — prosecution and fines of £1000 plus tax arrears could also be imposed upon offenders.Exemption from tax is only available for persons on the higher rate of Disability Living Allowance, or War Pensioners Mobility Supplement.http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/Road_Traffic_Law/Road_Tax_and_MOTHope this helps

profet

Seems a little harsh considering the tax on a bike is so low.

Less excuse not to pay then.
whatsThePoint

So he was out riding it, but believed it to be sorn

No wasn't riding it, I should know I was driving him to work and back for the last 6 months.
whatsThePoint

Sorry my mistake i forgot bikes are only use as a way to get to work and … Sorry my mistake i forgot bikes are only use as a way to get to work and back, oh wait..

Oh sorry that's right, you know everything, you'd also know that it has no starter, or exhaust for that matter yes?
So it it's SORN as claimed, then there's no case to answer. If it's SORN and driven that's another matter

And hi bigwheels. In sure the OP is aware of the DVLA website and doesn't need it quoted verbatim.
Adds this to the "not ending well" list
sorry, why did he assume it was SORN if he applied online would he not have acknowledgement from the dvla in the way of an email to prove he had applied for it to be SORN and if he did it on the phone I think they send a letter out up to 4 weeks after applying and if you'd been driving him to work for 6 months i assume he thought it was SORN all that time so would have received that letter again he would have proof of the SORN so should have no trouble sorting this out.

i know he is your friend but as a driver yourself you should have no sympathy for people who do not pay road tax.
Edited by: "dtaylor21184" 31st May 2011
OPs "friend" now pwned by DVLA
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants