Expired

DWP Dress Code ..

Found 3rd Feb 2015
What would the ever knowledgeable Hukkers suggest is best dress code for a civil service interview ?.

Many thanks .

1. Ask
  2. Dress
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Dress
28 Comments

suit and tie

I've never worn anything othe than a suit to any interview...

What else would you wear for an office job?

Original Poster

Hmm. So defo a suit ?. Does colour matter .. ?

Suited & booted; formal shirt, formal trousers, & formal shoes.

Tie optional.
Socks & underwear to your own preference, but dark socks with dark trousers.

v5535

What suit colours do you already own?

Original Poster

Looking to buy a grey one and have brown shoes ..

v5535

No, they're quite a diverse company employing all different races

All joking aside, as long as you look smart that's all they are looking for. If you opt for a suit, make sure the jacket matches the trousers. If not, I'd still go for dress trousers with a shirt and tie and a smart coat of some kind. It's cold out, they'll expect a warm coat. Don't spoil it all by wearing trainers...

v5535

Which of those two colours is influencing your choice of the other?

My first reaction was 'urgh'!

Banned

Is this for a job interview for a career with the DWP? or is this some kind of interview to do with benefits and helping you find a job?

Villa

Is this for a job interview for a career with the DWP? or is this some … Is this for a job interview for a career with the DWP? or is this some kind of interview to do with benefits and helping you find a job?

Either way the same dress code applies.

Original Poster

Villa

Is this for a job interview for a career with the DWP? or is this some … Is this for a job interview for a career with the DWP? or is this some kind of interview to do with benefits and helping you find a job?

contact centre

Banned

fanpages

Either way the same dress code applies.

Really? I always assumed a 'return to work' interview or whatever it is called did not get influenced by dress code. Surely, it is in their interest to find you a job.

Villa

Really? I always assumed a 'return to work' interview or whatever it is … Really? I always assumed a 'return to work' interview or whatever it is called did not get influenced by dress code. Surely, it is in their interest to find you a job.

The right attitude to seeking employment is the first hurdle.

Dress accordingly to secure a valuable first impression.

v5535

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/03/disgust-gif-12.gif

Original Poster

Villa

Really? I always assumed a 'return to work' interview or whatever it is … Really? I always assumed a 'return to work' interview or whatever it is called did not get influenced by dress code. Surely, it is in their interest to find you a job.

its a job interview !

Is this for a job interview for a career with the DWP

Then it's advisable to wear a Hazmat suit.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZJpoCxkCL.jpg

Original Poster

So .. Plain black suit guys ?.

v5535

Or a grey one, but get black shoes. Brown shoes are rarely a good option with a suit imo.

Good luck with the interview

v5535

yes ignore what anyone says about other colours black suit and black shoes, and wear a tie even if they don't wear them in the office you should still wear one.

First Impressions do count - the problem is you do not know who you are trying to impress! Some interviewers will only care that you are clean, tidy and presentable. Others wont give a damn and others will insist on fully colour co-ordinated brand new 3 piece suit with white shirt and plain contrasting tie. You cannot really win by guessing! So - if possible ask the people who sent you the invitation to interview - usually they will only be too happy to give some guidance. Bear in mind, it sounds as if you are going for a back office job so they should only expect you to wear what they would expect you to wear on a day to day basis. - But not jeans for the interview - although I suspect once you get the job they will be fine. Get the smartest haircut you can afford. And although first impressions do count - its the content and presentation of your answers which count even more although in the worst case scenario even the slickest answers cannot overcome a bad impression if you turn up in a onesie just off the dump.

Never worn a suite to an interview in my life. As long as your clean and presentable thats all that counts

Original Poster

AStonedRaichu

Never worn a suite to an interview in my life. As long as your clean and … Never worn a suite to an interview in my life. As long as your clean and presentable thats all that counts

but .. Did yku get the job and where was it.

Comment

Villa

Just seen this, but here is your answer....
When attending any appointment at a Jobcentre plus office, even if it is just "signing on" you are expected to be dressed for interview as employers often attend jobcentres looking for staff or in the old days employers could be called & an instant interview booked.
As for "it's in their interest to find you a job" sorry to disappoint you, but it isn't up to DWP staff to find you a job, it's to help the claimant find a job by making sure they have the necessary skills & requirements to find a job themselves. The "Claimant Commitment" was introduced to make customers more self reliant. It is a full time job finding a job when you are out of work, do you think a DWP employee stands a better chance of finding a client a job in 10/20 mins a week/fortnight appointment or someone undertaking the recommended 35 hours a week job search?

Original Poster

Went with instinct and got this job .. Cheers guys.

v5535

Went with instinct and got this job .. Cheers guys.

so did you wear the suit then.

Original Poster

eslick

so did you wear the suit then.

No ..

Thought this was for a Jobseekers Allowance interview when I read the title.
Post a comment
@
    Text