Dyson announces cordless future with end of plug-in vacuums - The Guardian

Found 7th Mar
theguardian.com/tec…ums

Quote:
"Sir James Dyson says company is investing in smaller, lighter, battery-powered cleaners.

Dyson has halted the development of plug-in vacuum cleaners in order to focus on improving and expanding its range of cordless battery-powered machines.

Sir James Dyson, the company’s founder and inventor who revolutionised the vacuum cleaner, announced the change of tack on Tuesday as he unveiled a new cordless model, the Dyson Cyclone V10.

In a move that could signal the end of consumers becoming tangled in vacuum cleaner cord, Dyson said the company is now investing in making its cordless range smaller, lighter and more efficient.

The Cyclone V10’s charge time – a common consumer gripe about cordless devices – has been increased to 60 minutes from 45 minutes compared to the current V8 model.

“A strong performing machine starts with an efficient motor,” Sir James Dyson said. “The Dyson digital motor V10 is Dyson’s most advanced … It is the reason why I’ve stopped developing full-size vacuums.”
Community Updates
MiscElectronics
Top comments
Personally I would like Sir James Dyson’s Company to invest in making CHEAPER, smaller, lighter, battery-powered cleaners. Until he does, I’m out.
Predikuesi12 m ago

Dyson would not be on my list of vacuum cleaners if I needed a new one.

eslick5 m ago

Would be at the top of my list.

Would be about half way up mine.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals7 m ago

Can't see why anyone would but anything other than a cordless Dyson. …Can't see why anyone would but anything other than a cordless Dyson. Fantastic bits of kit

Mines utter junk, spend more time cleaning out the filters. Not got a problem with battery life, just all the faffing about unblocking the thing.

Edit; It's the wife's Dyson.
Edited by: "OldEnglish" 7th Mar
33 Comments
Personally I would like Sir James Dyson’s Company to invest in making CHEAPER, smaller, lighter, battery-powered cleaners. Until he does, I’m out.
I think I would be worried about how often the battery would need replacing. My Dyson is 10 years old. I doubt one of those would last so long. Also, some power must be lost from charging a battery needlessly, it can't be 100% efficent.
Sounds good charge your Dyson then cable free cleaning
Edited by: "_Enzo_" 7th Mar
Can't see why anyone would but anything other than a cordless Dyson. Fantastic bits of kit
Wongy11033 m ago

Yeah great if own a mansion or at least for your 'servants'

You have servants? Flippin heck!!
Sounds great, I love it when vacuums are cordless.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals7 m ago

Can't see why anyone would but anything other than a cordless Dyson. …Can't see why anyone would but anything other than a cordless Dyson. Fantastic bits of kit

Mines utter junk, spend more time cleaning out the filters. Not got a problem with battery life, just all the faffing about unblocking the thing.

Edit; It's the wife's Dyson.
Edited by: "OldEnglish" 7th Mar
OldEnglish5 m ago

Mines utter junk, spend more time cleaning out the filters. Not got a …Mines utter junk, spend more time cleaning out the filters. Not got a problem with battery life, just all the faffing about unblocking the thing.Edit; It's the wife's Dyson.

My first vacuum cleaner (that I found on a skip) twenty years ago
just had a bag that you emptied worked great
until it blew up after a year
I have 2 cats and would be emptying this thing constantly.
Predikuesi7 m ago

Predikuesi12 m ago

eslick5 m ago

deeky1 m ago

I've had quite a few cordless ones, they are going to have to make it super dooper to make me change from my corded one, all the cordless ones start off great, then they lose power, well in my experience anyway
Wongy11036 m ago

My first vacuum cleaner (that I found on a skip) twenty years agojust had …My first vacuum cleaner (that I found on a skip) twenty years agojust had a bag that you emptied worked greatuntil it blew up after a year

Skip diving for hoovers Wongy, great stuff.
OldEnglish10 m ago

Skip diving for hoovers Wongy, great stuff.

Might have been a hoover in fact
Got a V6 mattress from Watt bros for 70 quid in sale. And managed to get the long tube and powered head from Amazon for about 45.

For a small flat there is no need for a mains powered hoover/dyson
catbeans51 m ago

I have 2 cats and would be emptying this thing constantly.

Why you sucking them up by accident?
deeky46 m ago

Too much information!
I love dyson “hoover”
Probably means a bunch of important patents for his corded models are about to expire and it's not worth trying to compete with all the cheap copies that will flood onto the market.
You still need a plug and socket on the wall to charge the thing up.... I just don't get it...with cordless vacuum cleaners

How many plug sockets do you have in your home?
Are they all in constant use all the time?
How difficult is it to remove the plug from the upstairs socket and take it downstairs to finish off the stairs?
Some homes have far less carpet in them these days (wood/laminate flooring) - do you still vacuum this and if yes why and is sweeping just too much for you just like swapping the plug socket on a corded vacuum.

Hey I'm all for innovation etc but at what cost? any guesses why the UK are more at risk of becoming obese?
philphil6113 m ago

......Hey I'm all for innovation etc but at what cost? any guesses why …......Hey I'm all for innovation etc but at what cost? any guesses why the UK are more at risk of becoming obese?

Relax, phil'. I'm sure no one on here could accuse you of being a social or technological dinosaur, now.
deleted579598th Mar

I suppose its when the device is capable of performing at the level equal …I suppose its when the device is capable of performing at the level equal or greater than corded then it becomes superior when it can be cord free.Its like uses a mower with a cable and one with out, I know which is easier to use.

A petrol mower (cordless) I can understand

And agree that there's probably some issues between power/action between corded and cordless

But my point is there's little time saving and physical energy between corded and cordless and in fact people using cordless would need less physical input and yet we are in an era where obesity and lack of exercise is a major health issue - people should do more not less physical activity IMO

And as HUKD is a deal site and the cost of cordless is far more expensive than corded... I just don't get it
philphil619 h, 3 m ago

You still need a plug and socket on the wall to charge the thing up.... I …You still need a plug and socket on the wall to charge the thing up.... I just don't get it...with cordless vacuum cleanersHow many plug sockets do you have in your home?Are they all in constant use all the time?How difficult is it to remove the plug from the upstairs socket and take it downstairs to finish off the stairs?Some homes have far less carpet in them these days (wood/laminate flooring) - do you still vacuum this and if yes why and is sweeping just too much for you just like swapping the plug socket on a corded vacuum.Hey I'm all for innovation etc but at what cost? any guesses why the UK are more at risk of becoming obese?

The bracket that comes with it also charges it. Store it in a cupboard and it charges at the same time. Also has a head for hardwood floors.

The point is that it's more manoeuvrable than a corded one. Simple.
philphil617 h, 11 m ago

A petrol mower (cordless) I can understandAnd agree that there's probably …A petrol mower (cordless) I can understandAnd agree that there's probably some issues between power/action between corded and cordlessBut my point is there's little time saving and physical energy between corded and cordless and in fact people using cordless would need less physical input and yet we are in an era where obesity and lack of exercise is a major health issue - people should do more not less physical activity IMOAnd as HUKD is a deal site and the cost of cordless is far more expensive than corded... I just don't get it

I know, next you'll be telling me the hoovers at the gym are going to go cordless.
philphil6113 h, 36 m ago

How difficult is it to remove the plug from the upstairs socket and take …How difficult is it to remove the plug from the upstairs socket and take it downstairs to finish off the stairs?

You have to unplug your vacuum to reach the top of the stairs? You should buy one with a longer cable, mine has a 9m cable and 12.5m reach from the socket, so it will reach up the stairs and into the bedrooms.
melted1 m ago

You have to unplug your vacuum to reach the top of the stairs? You should …You have to unplug your vacuum to reach the top of the stairs? You should buy one with a longer cable, mine has a 9m cable and 12.5m reach from the socket, so it will reach up the stairs and into the bedrooms.

Or just use an extension lead.
deleted579598th Mar

I suppose its when the device is capable of performing at the level equal …I suppose its when the device is capable of performing at the level equal or greater than corded then it becomes superior when it can be cord free.Its like uses a mower with a cable and one with out, I know which is easier to use.

I suppose the performance difference between corded and cordless vacuums is much less significant than it was, thanks to the EU mandated, continued reduction in power of vacuum cleaner motors.
m00head8 m ago

Or just use an extension lead.

No cable rewind and a plug/socket to get caught on the stairs is not very convenient.
melted16 h, 54 m ago

You have to unplug your vacuum to reach the top of the stairs? You should …You have to unplug your vacuum to reach the top of the stairs? You should buy one with a longer cable, mine has a 9m cable and 12.5m reach from the socket, so it will reach up the stairs and into the bedrooms.

I don't have to unplug my vacuum as the cable is plenty long enough - I was going on the general understanding...

although I have to unplug to reach the living room (everything else downstairs is laminated flooring)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions