Dyson vs Shark

Posted 8th Oct
So my missus has been harping on about how amazing one of the Shark cordless vac’s are because some of her family members have it. We currently have a Dyson (not sure what model) it’s a corded one with the yellow ball. It’s done alright for years but might be on its last legs. Do i go for another Dyson or are Sharks really up there with Dysons now? They dont come cheap though, so might wait until Black Friday to see if any deals about. What are peoples thoughts on Shark vac’s??
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
I have had 3 Dyson corded vacuums over the years and recently got a cordless Shark (IF130UKTH) on Prime Day and am very impressed with it (well as much as you can be with a vacuum cleaner). The AC adapter used for charging broke a couple of weeks ago and when I contacted support they sent a new one out next day which also impressed me.

On another note my parents have the Dyson V10 which is also very good so I would just get whats cheapest in all honesty
Edited by: "Gormond" 8th Oct
Had Dyson and hated it. Supposed to be great but they arent.

Put a camelcamelcamel watch on a Shark and got what I wanted at a good price. Works better than the dyson. Not so elegant (I cant believe I just said that!). Easier to clean out. does all the hoovering we need (4 bed house) on one charge. no charging dock/wall mount so it leans against things in the utility room. who cares

Other friends have shark and I have yet to hear a bad word
Your asking a discount forum about a product... expect rave reviews about the cheapest one. It's like asking what car to buy on here... you'll get people saying that their Nissan Juke is better than a Mercedes.
Get a Miele.
ashuk08/10/2019 16:26

Your asking a discount forum about a product... expect rave reviews about …Your asking a discount forum about a product... expect rave reviews about the cheapest one. It's like asking what car to buy on here... you'll get people saying that their Nissan Juke is better than a Mercedes.

Thanks for your response but i think the first two responses are great and dont mention anything about price. Dysons and Sharks are similarly priced.
sir78608/10/2019 16:55

Thanks for your response but i think the first two responses are great and …Thanks for your response but i think the first two responses are great and dont mention anything about price. Dysons and Sharks are similarly priced.

No problem, but I would advise you to try them both. 14 days distant selling, send the one you don't like back.
ashuk08/10/2019 16:57

No problem, but I would advise you to try them both. 14 days distant …No problem, but I would advise you to try them both. 14 days distant selling, send the one you don't like back.

Good shout! Wasnt aware they did that.
Shark, I’ve never had a Vac as powerful, the carpets looked new after the first vac, it’s amazing what they pick up. I got the one with the larger bin so it doesn’t need emptying as much
Watchdog did some reviews last week. Download it have a look.
Just moved over to sharks

I had a dyson hand held. Not sure which one either the pet one from about 5 years ago. Served us well, but the shark handheld we’ve just bought feels much better quality. Far superior cleaning for a handheld almost comparable to the corded heavy vacuum cleaner.

We also replaced our upright from a dyson ball dc thingy to the shark corded power cleaner. Once again better quality but heavy and a bit clunkier to use. Defo improvement on the dyson but not quite as an impressive upgrade as the handheld.

Bought them both from ao.com in ebays 20% off days so got them at a reasonable price. But have since gone cheaper than with the more recent discount day.
38629322-07gkl.jpg

Seriously considered sending back the corded one as the handheld is that good but decided for ease and deeper carpet the corded is better so kept it.
Probably not a popular opinion but shark are just well marketed cheaply made vacuums. The bloody hose split often and getting spare parts was difficult. I would avoid
+1 for Shark. Always had Henry but needed a lighter cleaner. Brilliant suction. Well recommended.
deleted1410297
cant have a vacuum if its not a miele or henry
We bought the Shark nv801uk and its brilliant, can't believe the dust it hoovered up compared to our old Henry.

They'd definitely be my first point of call when we need a hoover again.

Just one thing to bare in mind which I found out recently, others might know though, the 5 year guarantee is ony valid if you buy direct from them or their eBay shop
They tried out a Shark, dyson and a Vax cordless vac on last weeks Watchdog, so should be available on iplayer.

Shark was the unanimous favourite with their families that were testing them, but also the worst of the three at actually cleaning.
Edited by: "melted" 8th Oct
Worth looking up the YouTube channel Vacuum Wars

Went from a Dyson DC39 Animal or something to a Shark cordless one, can't remember the model but it's purple. Love it, only reason went with it was cos it was much cheaper at the time than any comparable Dyson. Have used similar cordless dysons but I prefer the shark for the most part, feels reasonably well made. So did my Dyson but it broke a fare bit over the years and had maybe 3 broken parts in the end, but still just about worked. The shark is almost like it is self propelled, it pulls you along so you don't notice that it's maybe a little heavier than a Dyson varient. All in all for the money spent I am happy with the Shark so far. The charge last ages as well. Could do with a dock tho imo but minor gripe.
Look at a Henry, Don't be put off by having a Bag...way better than the Shark's and Dyson's. Bag takes ages to fill and they are very cheap to replace.
I've had various vacuums over the years (resisted the urge to type "hoover"!) but they've always been corded. Electrolux was my usual brand (are they not even a contender nowadays?), most recent was a Vax U88-AMM-B Air Max which I gave to my niece when she got a new flat at the beginning of 2019.

Now have the NV800UKT (bought the Pet brush myself separately) - apparently it's more or less the same as the 801 but the 800 has a higher wattage rating (something to do with EU regulations).

It's built like a tank. The LED lights on the front feel like a gimmick but they're actually very handy, especially with my dodgy eyesight. Getting into the brush head is easy, just a click of the button (boyf vacuumed quite recently and somehow managed to wrap one of my socks around the brush).

Emptying the dust bin is a breeze, as is removing the wand and attaching tools. And it picks up everything effortlessly. Powered Lift-Away (didn't realise there were powered and unpowered Lift-Away versions till after purchase, d'oh) is really good for high-up places or doing mattresses, tricky to get to areas. I love it.

I did a Deal for a Sebo a few months ago (albeit from Amazon Warehouse) and Youtube vacuum obsessive/reviewer ibaisaic (who is a UK reviewer, not US) much prefers bagged vacs, his absolute favourite brand being Sebo. The perceived wisdom is that bagged vacs don't lose suction as much as bagless and don't need filters cleaned/changed as often - I think.

Edit: My sister has a corded Vax Air Reach (can't remember the model) though the purpley older version was replaced with a newer one (6 Year Vax Guarantee) as it kept breaking. She also has a 32V Vax Blade cordless (version 1) which she uses for a quick scoot around and is very happy with it - but she uses the corded vacuum for a "proper" clean.

Another Edit: My mum has a super-light Dyson corded machine and I HATE it. I'd have to ask her which model, but it's a good 4-5 years old now. It was the lightest corded vac available at the time.

Feels like a toy and not well made at all. You have to press down on some kickstand/bar to get the brush/wheels to "engage" and it's very hit and miss. Definitely not robust and mum has a Dyson guy give it a good overhaul once or twice a year. Suppose their warranty is good (from what mum tells me), at least!
Edited by: "louiselouise" 9th Oct
Shark in my opinion is the best now. Dyson used to be really good but not great anymore
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants