Dyson wireless vacuums to wired?

Posted 20th Oct
Does anybody know of any adapters or way that I could easily convert my wireless vacuum to wired?

Basically I got a good deal on the wireless a year back, but the battery doesn’t last enough to clean a floor of my house (which isn’t exactly big).

I have contacted dyson as the previous battery was faulty and they replaced it, but even the new one is awful!

Rather than shelling out on a new hoover, is there anyway I can keep it plugged in to the mains?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
No sorry, you went with a battery model so no converting back.

better off selling and then buy a wired version
Buy another battery and charger. Then it’ll do your house
what a bizarre idea.

you can't hoover your house in 30-40mins??
AMaky20/10/2019 13:07

what a bizarre idea.you can't hoover your house in 30-40mins??

If he got a good deal on it then it may have faulty cells in the battery
Doesn't sound very practical to me. You would need a switch mode power supply capable of supplying the required voltage and current.
If it is 21V, it may be 5 or 6 li-ion cells, if it is 6 cells, you may get away with using a 24V supply. Without knowing the specs I'd guess it will be at least 10 amp and could be 20amp or more.

If you wanted to run low voltage DC to the vac to keep the weight down, then you'd need fairly thick wire to minimise voltage drop, otherwise you'd need to attach your bulky PSU to an old battery pack.

Then you've got the problem of the motor duty cycle - it probably won't be designed to be run for much longer than the capacity of its battery would allow. If you exceed the duty cycle the motor will get too hot and even though it will have thermal protection, it can degrade a motor if it is overheated too often.

Either buy a second battery, you ought to be able to find a good value compatible one made of high quality cells,if you can find a reputable battery manufacturer, or buy a budget mains vacuum that will probably have far more suck and clean your carpets more effectively and quicker, even with the eu restrictions on power.
Edited by: "melted" 20th Oct

Try less than 10mins.

This is after a replacement battery. I also have to use the max setting (despite having kept the whole thing clean) as the default setting isn’t strong enough
Jordztar20/10/2019 14:12

Try less than 10mins. This is after a replacement battery. I also have to …Try less than 10mins. This is after a replacement battery. I also have to use the max setting (despite having kept the whole thing clean) as the default setting isn’t strong enough

very odd.
max setting will drain your battery.
AMaky20/10/2019 14:21

very odd.max setting will drain your battery.

Medium just doesn’t have enough power to pick things up. For example I did the kitchen floor earlier (dry cat food everywhere from messy cats) and medium wasn’t picking it up
Jordztar20/10/2019 14:12

Try less than 10mins. This is after a replacement battery. I also have to …Try less than 10mins. This is after a replacement battery. I also have to use the max setting (despite having kept the whole thing clean) as the default setting isn’t strong enough

That's why then, I think I have read one of their cordless models was about 28 airwatts on the standard setting and something like 100aw on max. Before the EU ban the best cylinder corded vacs were as much as 400 airwatts, and even now with the ban you should still be able to find mains vacs with around 280 airwatts suction. Some of the very best wet n dry ones, which are exempt from the ban, are around 300 airwatts.
Edited by: "melted" 20th Oct
Basic spec of random Dyson 965874-02 battery is 21.6V 2100mAh 350W. An experimenter could easily achive this with three new £10 120W laptop power bricks give or take a few volts, although the mechnism to combine all three outputs (with suitable electrical protection) and arrange a viable connection/plug/socket with the vac & through to the control circuit may require some ingenuity. Likely completely do-able, especially if a suitable power supply is easily available, but likely only of challenge-value for die-hard experimenters.

Dyson last that long that would be bizarre
MR112320/10/2019 15:41

Dyson last that long that would be bizarre

mine does.
whole large house properly hoovered on 1 charge.
it is a year old to.
previous v6 model was fine too.
Jordztar20/10/2019 14:22

Medium just doesn’t have enough power to pick things up. For example I did …Medium just doesn’t have enough power to pick things up. For example I did the kitchen floor earlier (dry cat food everywhere from messy cats) and medium wasn’t picking it up

We had the same problem with dry cat food going everywhere, then I got one of the 3.99 boot mats from Aldi, it has a lip so good stays in one area and is easy to clean for wet food spills. Been a complete game changer. Can be easily rinsed in the shower.
AndyRoyd20/10/2019 15:26

Basic spec of random Dyson 965874-02 battery is 21.6V 2100mAh 350W.

350W from a 21.6V battery which can deliver 2100mAh ? That sounds fishy. Could be the max power for a very short period of time ? With this being said, that unit doesn't seem to need more than 50W of power at max.

"Does anybody know of any adapters or way that I could easily convert my wireless vacuum to wired?"
I have two such units (one Philips using the old Ni-MH tech while the other is a Vax using a Li-Ion battery pack) and I'm planing to modify them but sometimes you have to prioritize more important things, so I let these projects aside.
Keep in mind that you may not need 24 or 25 V PSU as mentioned here as the motor itself may require less than the total voltage of the battery pack.
So where to start ? it depends on the design of your unit and the requirements of the motor your system have, but I'll go for 2 rules:
- make it very professional
- recycle as many parts as you can (especially some 240V to DC voltage PSU, from laptops or other devices you have) and don't spend more than £7-£10 for diodes, DC-DC converters, connectors. Otherwise you can buy a new one.

The final result should not weight more than the current device because:
1) the PSU brick will remain on the floor (think about a laptop PSU)
2) the case which contained the Li-Ion batteries, now contains only a DC-DC convertor + radiator + other parts if necessary, and it is way lighter.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 20th Oct
TobyZ20/10/2019 19:24

350W from a 21.6V battery which can deliver 2100mAh ? That sounds fishy. …350W from a 21.6V battery which can deliver 2100mAh ? That sounds fishy. Could be the max power for a very short period of time ?

Sounds about right to me, that works out at just under 8 minutes on full power, not allowing for voltage and current dropping as the battery discharges. Googling suggests the run time for the V6 is actually 6 minutes on max. That 350 watt might also be the peak power with a fully charged battery, which would presumably be at just over 25 volts, or the motor may well be regulated to keep the wattage constant as the voltage falls off.

Some specs here:- spotlessvacuum.co.uk/cor…v8/
Edited by: "melted" 21st Oct
melted21/10/2019 02:28

Sounds about right to me, that works out at just under 8 minutes on full …Sounds about right to me, that works out at just under 8 minutes on full power, not allowing for voltage and current dropping as the battery discharges. Googling suggests the run time for the V6 is actually 6 minutes on max. That 350 watt might also be the peak power with a fully charged battery, which would presumably be at just over 25 volts, or the motor may well be regulated to keep the wattage constant as the voltage falls off.Some specs here:- https://spotlessvacuum.co.uk/cordless-vacuum-cleaners/dyson-v6-vs-v8/

That's why in my message I mentioned about the time component. What I didn't know (maybe I should have searched) that someone is willing to pay £150-200 or more for only 6 minutes.
TobyZ21/10/2019 19:08

That's why in my message I mentioned about the time component. What I …That's why in my message I mentioned about the time component. What I didn't know (maybe I should have searched) that someone is willing to pay £150-200 or more for only 6 minutes.

Yep, I wasn't being critical, I was just confirming the run time is indeed very short on max power. I would think it is just a boost mode and not intended to be used continuously. The run time on Normal power is supposed to be a more respectable 20 minutes, or 14 minutes with the motorised brush head, which you'd need on carpets with only 24 airwatts of suction.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants