E-Bike/Electric Bike/Pedelec Advice

Found 18th Sep 2017
My fiancée and I have been thinking about getting an e-bike each in order to get us out and about more but there’s loads and loads of information kicking about but it’s not clear what the best source(es) is/are.

Any tips? Looking to spend as little as possible, but still have decent bikes for the weekends! Not much, if any off-roading but prefer the styling of mountain bikes.

Cheers! 😁
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
My opinion is to first google and rent one each for a day, there is probs somewhere near you who can rent one out of test ride for bout 20-30£, considering you would be spending what,800-1000£ each for them I think just giving one a go first would be sensible to see if its something you can see doing/ if you like them compared to just a good bike

Second, it's getting cold and not sure about you but i'll definitly won't be going out biking in the cold no matter how many layers, so maybe it be wise waiting for early next year, I only say this because by then there be the new models which should be 'better'

for a tip you can get 10% halfords if you get a membership to 'https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts' cost 25£ for the year, so if buying 2 bikes 1600-2000£ for 2, thats a good chunk off discount, also maybe buy vouchers for extra few percent off zeek, or other sites, maybe cashback? quidco ect...

hope that helps, not bought one myself yet been thinking about it and if I can find a job more local I will buy one and use to commute until then I don't think i'll get money worth out of it just for excercising purposes, is it something you and your wife can use to commute? if so you can sorta say to yourself its saving money on petrol, time, ect
Cycle to work scheme that’s about 20 to 40% off
puddles999913 m ago

Cycle to work scheme that’s about 20 to 40% off

+1 great way to buy a bike with good discount
mattmerch32 m ago

+1 great way to buy a bike with good discount

I agree to!
Carefully check the law regarding electric bikes. You don't need insurance or tax if it is a PAC (pedal assisted cycle) but if it is a twisty & go then I believe the law is different. Also there is more a maximum weight, and maximum power (watts) and maximum speed of 15mph.

It is possible to buy new cycles that will do 45mph, but these are for off-road use only, illegal on public roads.
These changes in the rules, other than the speed, only apply to new cycles.
My wife doesn't drive, except from the back seat, so I bought her a second hand electric bike. 25 mile range, on the twist and go power setting, double that if she uses the assisted setting. She loves it.
Edited by: "mrty" 18th Sep 2017
As long as it has pedals and under 15mph it will be road legal.
If you want twist and go you will have to get a second hand bike or old new stock as the twist and go has been fazed out by legalisations.
It is still legal to ride an old style at this time.

Watch the weight as some can be very heavy and avoid lead acid batterys. Go for a lithium battery.
The bike will also need to be used regular as leaving it in a grarage etc over winter will kill the battery.

Lithium batteries are £290 + to replace.

They are great to get around on.

I worked in a company that supplied and fixed Ebikes so have some knowledge
You don't need to hire - evans/halfords/cycle republic will all let you test drive to get a good feel with a refundable deposit.

This post sets the scene quite well
expertreviews.co.uk/out…rom

If not offroading would question if you wanted/needed to fork that adds weight and maintenance! - sounds hybrid to me.

Mark Virgo is also right on battery that is best kept between 25 to 85 percent charge for lifespan although think his pricing is a little conservative and closer to what he might get in trade;)

Also a curve ball - another option is to buy a decent hybrid and then replace the front wheel with the imortor solution - down side is small battery albeit idea is to have more than one and cheaper to replace.

Good luck.
I did a little basic research a few years ago.

Most "official"/"legal" E-bikes will be pedal assist (and if for some reason you cannot pedal then you aren't going to be moving).

There are so twist&go type E-bikes that are illegal (according to current law) but the question remains how many police officers have stopped and seized these? how many police officers would know the difference? - so long as you don't ride like a Pawel Zietowski (ooops I meant idiot - darn autocorrect) along city roads/cyclepaths at full throttle (use common sense) then I doubt the local police officer would take their eyes off their mobile/cream donut.

When I was searching new twist&go E-bikes on fleabay were £750 - £1250.
Original Poster
I think renting or test riding one would be a good idea, and that is a good point about it coming up to winter. Maybe it will be better to leave it until early next year. Plenty of stuff to think about.

With the cycle to work scheme, it says that 50% of trips have to be work related and I don’t plan to commute on the bike once, so I guess that’s out of the window then!
toninhopapoose11 h, 0 m ago

I think renting or test riding one would be a good idea, and that is a …I think renting or test riding one would be a good idea, and that is a good point about it coming up to winter. Maybe it will be better to leave it until early next year. Plenty of stuff to think about.With the cycle to work scheme, it says that 50% of trips have to be work related and I don’t plan to commute on the bike once, so I guess that’s out of the window then!

Cycle to work isn't exactly heavily policed so whilst there are guidelines in the spirit of its intent I have never seen anything enforced including a home office worker who used it.
Also as coming up to winter (end of season) it is now until January where the manufacturers will release next seasons models and if hunting traditionally when you will get good discounts on last seasons models - not too sure if that applies as much to ebikes though.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants