E Class e220 common faults

Found 19th May
Planning on purchasing a e class coupe, 14 reg. just wondering what to pay specific attention to at the test drive and when viewing the car. It’s a diesel automatic.
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Check all doors unlock and open properly. Mine stopped working on passenger side. Was a pain to fix as door was locked there was no access. Apparently quite common.
Thanks Adam. There is a one year warranty included too since it’s purchased from a dealer but I will definitely look out for that
The 2.2 engine has been in use for a while. Can be a bit gutless in the heavy coupe but it's a relaxing coupe rather than a sports car.
It's only my opinion but as the 2014 shape has been replaced by the newer shape , values will drop quite quickly.
Have you considered BMW 420d , it's the current shape.
Newer more fuel efficient engines. The eclass coupe was in my opinion far more desirable than its competitor the 3 series coupe e92 shape.
But for a 2014 eclass coupe you could buy the latest shape 4 series coupe.
One thing I'd say is buy a different engine....the Merc v6 diesels are lovely....you'll never want to go back to a 4 pot
Uridium38 m ago

One thing I'd say is buy a different engine....the Merc v6 diesels are …One thing I'd say is buy a different engine....the Merc v6 diesels are lovely....you'll never want to go back to a 4 pot

I wouldn’t be able to afford a V6 unfortunately. My budget is 15k. I am only 20 so Insurance for a v6 engine will be much higher.
adamderak48 m ago

The 2.2 engine has been in use for a while. Can be a bit gutless in the …The 2.2 engine has been in use for a while. Can be a bit gutless in the heavy coupe but it's a relaxing coupe rather than a sports car.It's only my opinion but as the 2014 shape has been replaced by the newer shape , values will drop quite quickly.Have you considered BMW 420d , it's the current shape. Newer more fuel efficient engines. The eclass coupe was in my opinion far more desirable than its competitor the 3 series coupe e92 shape. But for a 2014 eclass coupe you could buy the latest shape 4 series coupe.

I have done some research between the 2. Personally I prefer the exterior and interior dashboard design on the E class coupe. The bmw 4 series is a bit more expensive. The E class that I am looking at has 41000 on the clock, for £14k. It’s a bit expensive than the market value however the dealers do give 1 year warranty and it’s a reputable dealer.
TheRatedSeller7 h, 10 m ago

I wouldn’t be able to afford a V6 unfortunately. My budget is 15k. I am o …I wouldn’t be able to afford a V6 unfortunately. My budget is 15k. I am only 20 so Insurance for a v6 engine will be much higher.

Am surprised an insurance company will insure you for a reasonable price on a 2.2!If you haven’t already get an actual quote on it using a reg off a car off on a forecourt with your address and everything else to see what the quote would be, that way you won’t get a big shock when they quote you £3k a year with about £600 excess. Also when you answer the question about how long you have owned the car, it’ll really affect the policy if you haven’t owned it long, it’ll come down over time though, also think about car tax it’ll probably be pretty high (high co2)

Merc engines are pretty good in general but are prone to injector problems, some models can develop issues with transmissions if transmission oil/filters aren’t changed every 40k (often overlooked in servicing) and they have poor fuel economy compared to other manufacturers cars in same range. Aside from that pretty solid.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 20th May
cmdr_elito1 h, 57 m ago

Am surprised an insurance company will insure you for a reasonable price …Am surprised an insurance company will insure you for a reasonable price on a 2.2!If you haven’t already get an actual quote on it using a reg off a car off on a forecourt with your address and everything else to see what the quote would be, that way you won’t get a big shock when they quote you £3k a year with about £600 excess. Also when you answer the question about how long you have owned the car, it’ll really affect the policy if you haven’t owned it long, it’ll come down over time though, also think about car tax it’ll probably be pretty high (high co2)Merc engines are pretty good in general but are prone to injector problems, some models can develop issues with transmissions if transmission oil/filters aren’t changed every 40k (often overlooked in servicing) and they have poor fuel economy compared to other manufacturers cars in same range. Aside from that pretty solid.

The E220 for that model year has very low CO2 emission (126 I think) so £120 a year. I see so so many E220 saloons on the motorway. 0-60 is around 8 seconds depending on which exact one, which is around the BMW 418d auto so not too bad really.
cmdr_elito4 h, 56 m ago

Am surprised an insurance company will insure you for a reasonable price …Am surprised an insurance company will insure you for a reasonable price on a 2.2!If you haven’t already get an actual quote on it using a reg off a car off on a forecourt with your address and everything else to see what the quote would be, that way you won’t get a big shock when they quote you £3k a year with about £600 excess. Also when you answer the question about how long you have owned the car, it’ll really affect the policy if you haven’t owned it long, it’ll come down over time though, also think about car tax it’ll probably be pretty high (high co2)Merc engines are pretty good in general but are prone to injector problems, some models can develop issues with transmissions if transmission oil/filters aren’t changed every 40k (often overlooked in servicing) and they have poor fuel economy compared to other manufacturers cars in same range. Aside from that pretty solid.

Hey there. I have obtained a quote from insurance comparison websites for 2k. The Fuel economy is approximately 40mpg in urban areas. What are good ways to negotiate freebies or the price?
Trading in an existing car can help sometimes, in terms of getting a good deal it depends a lot on the make model and time of year, right now is prime time for buying open tops and dealers know this, so may not discount much knowing a better sale may be round the corner, stock levels may also affect price offers, if they have a lot of one type of car they maybe more keen to sell rather and offer a lower price than if it’s the last one of something, ask if they can do any deals on servicing they may throw in free servicing or reduced servicing when bought with the car, if buying on finance gap insurance is a must but it’s often cheaper to buy it elsewhere rather than from them, most dealers don’t come down all that much unless they have already inflated the price already so knowing what the model is worth vs the stickers price can help you understand room for negotiation. Floor mats/air fresheners can often be given away as freebies etc. Another thing is seem a bit interested but don’t seem too keen, if your keen they will know it and probably offer you less discount. It’s often helpful to take a parent with you as they can pick fault with the car.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 20th May
Meant to add also be prepared to walk away if the deal isn’t good (or not what you want), you can always come back and they make take you more seriously or you may lose the vehicle but there will be others.
Try to get a service package
cmdr_elito8 h, 6 m ago

Poor fuel economy?
That's incorrect , the om651 engine is great on fuel
dezbo88883 m ago

Poor fuel economy? That's incorrect , the om651 engine is great on fuel

Great when compared against other merc engines bad compared to others from other manufacturers.
cmdr_elito1 h, 9 m ago

Great when compared against other merc engines bad compared to others from …Great when compared against other merc engines bad compared to others from other manufacturers.

Not really. The BMW 4-series is more efficient, but most of the other comparably priced big 2 doors on the market are less efficient, sometimes substantially. Infiniti Q60, Ford Mustang, Audi A5 Coupe, Kia Stinger.
Meh
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants