Groups

E-Petitions. The use of 084 telephone numbers in the NHS

The use of 084 telephone numbers in the NHS

Launch date: 16 December 2008
    Deadline to sign up by: 28 November 2009

Please sign the E-Petitions if you are in favor..

Link in next post..

17 Comments

signed. It says novemer 2009 is deadline though

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to prevent local health … We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to prevent local health centres and hospitals from using 08 numbers such as 0844, 0845 or 0870. More detailsSubmitted by Guy Mayhew – Deadline to sign up by: 28 November 2009 – Signatures: 11,504

I'm all for them in the NHS... and they are included in BT call plans...

Original Poster

bazzaric;4791713

I'm all for them in the NHS... and they are included in BT call plans...

Yeah but not every one has the BT plan and most have free mins on there mobile..

i'm still all for it. The functionality it gives and the fact it's still less than a penny a minute from landlines makes it worth it.

Can you tell e what you know about them please, so I can make a more informed decision?

Original Poster

How much does it cost to call an 084 number?
    The cost of calls made from landlines to 084 numbers varies according to the supplier of the 084 number, the tariff and the bundle package used by the caller. The average call to an 084 number is more expensive than the equivalent call to a local rate landline.
    The cost of calls made from mobiles also varies depending on the supplier and the tariff. On average, calls to 084 numbers are more expensive.

Original Poster

The charge of a call to an 084 number is made up of three elements:

the standard line charge from the supplier;

the cost of the call (which depends on how long the call lasts); and

the cost of renting equipment needed to run an 084 number with extra functions.
    On average, calls to 084 numbers last marginally longer, not only because the extra functions can mean that a caller may be held in a queue before their call is rerouted or they talk to a receptionist, but also because they can undertake certain tasks, such as booking appointments and ordering repeat prescriptions, via an automated system.

0844 and 0845 numbers can still be charged up to 25p a minute from mobile phones, and companies are starting to migrate to make that little bit of extra dosh. Which? research showed that the DVLA raised almost £2.5m from 08 numbers in 2006 alone, so it’s definitely a cunning money maker for the evil corporations.

Credit to Vince Wong

So is the NHS making a 'profit'?

Signed.
    My GP now uses an 0844 number and a) it costs me more to phone them compared to a local number, especially when using a mobile b) the phonecall seems to take longer, the connection and then the queues. It was much better on the local number.

There is a higher probability that someone phoning an NHS line will be on a reduced income to to be being ill or having to care for somebody who is ill. If you think it is morally right to gain extra income from people in this bracket, then I guess this will not make you wince.
    I think its wrong Ito implement 084 numbers for the health service IMO

Original Poster

dontasciime;4791696

signed. It says novemer 2009 is deadline though

Yeah your right the-
    Deadline to sign up by: 28 November 2009

Original Poster

WoolyM;4795257

There is a higher probability that someone phoning an NHS line will be on … There is a higher probability that someone phoning an NHS line will be on a reduced income to to be being ill or having to care for somebody who is ill. If you think it is morally right to gain extra income from people in this bracket, then I guess this will not make you wince. I think its wrong Ito implement 084 numbers for the health service IMO

Spot on..:thumbsup:

Is there not also a higher connection charge for 08 numbers usually (6p for BT I think)

Original Poster

Signatures so far 11,607

bazzaric;4792200

So is the NHS making a 'profit'?

lol no not at all they use Siemens equipment and have to rent the lines from BT, the same as N3 the NHS backbone for the data network, its rented and the NHS gets spanked by any company it needs to use to carry out it job. Too many companies use the NHS as a lucrative cash cow to suck dry of money, ultimately we pay for it, so its not the NHS.

Original Poster

+Bump+
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. New a camera to keep track of my Demintina Mother67
      2. What laptop to choose?11
      3. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??33
      4. Laptop screen backlight issue23

See more discussions