E3 2020 officially cancelled

Deal editor18
Posted 11th Mar

Rumours have been circulating over the past 24 hours of a possible cancellation of this year's E3 expo due to concerns over public safety relating to COVID-19, the official word has now been released and the conference will not take place this year.

3420801.jpg
"After careful consultation with our member companies regarding the health and safety of everyone in our industry--our fans, our employees, our exhibitors and our longtime E3 partners--we have made the difficult decision to cancel E3 2020, scheduled for June 9-11 in Los Angeles,"

"Following increased and overwhelming concerns about the COVID-19 virus, we felt this was the best way to proceed during such an unprecedented global situation. We are very disappointed that we are unable to hold this event for our fans and supporters. But we know it’s the right decision based on the information we have today."

They're not ruling out anything happening this year, though. The ESA have stated that they are - "exploring options with our members to coordinate an online experience to showcase industry announcements and news in June 2020."

3420801-wQaBi.jpg
Gutted, to say the least.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
And nothing of value was lost.
18 Comments
Hasn't been the same for some years now, shame really but I can't see an online experience being the same.
And nothing of value was lost.
Sony need to bring back Playstation Home....anyone remember the virtual booth they had a few years ago
They should turn it back into a press show like it used to be.
40086577-uHeLq.jpg
Sad to say but I think it was going to be pretty poor anyway so this cancellation has probably done the ESA a favour.
WHAAAATTTTT!
Wasn't good when sony stopped attending.
Microsoft will probs hold a private one
As a primarily Nintendo gamer is no big deal. Things like a proper new MK game or Odyssey 2 seem a long time away anyway.
Nothing is gonna be missed as MS are gonna hold an event on the 14th at 4PM... hopefully we get some series x news. Sony and Nintendo dont show anyway nowadays because they have nothing new to show.
Snakeyes64612/03/2020 10:14

Sony and Nintendo dont show anyway nowadays because they have nothing new …Sony and Nintendo dont show anyway nowadays because they have nothing new to show.

Nothing new to show? well that's simply not true.
Gormond12/03/2020 10:26

Nothing new to show? well that's simply not true.

Really? So what would sony have shown us if they were to attend? More drawn out videos of ghosts of tsushima or TLOU2? Nintendo some dlc for smash bros ?
Snakeyes64612/03/2020 10:37

Really? So what would sony have shown us if they were to attend? More …Really? So what would sony have shown us if they were to attend? More drawn out videos of ghosts of tsushima or TLOU2? Nintendo some dlc for smash bros ?

Sony would probably show us more about the PS5 and what their first party studios are working on, studios such as Japan Studio, Polyphony Digital, Guerrilla Game, Insomniac Games, San Diego Studio, Santa Monica Studio...

As for Nintendo we have no release schedule for 2020 beyond Animal Crossing (out this month) so they will no doubt have a huge list of titles coming out in the next 12 month we dont yet know about.

The reason both them don't show is that they have enough content to have their own events, no need to share the limelight with others when you don't need too.
Edited by: "Gormond" 12th Mar
Whilst not technically speaking geared towards the same audience, I haven’t bothered with anything like this since I went to GamesMaster @ Birmingham NEC in 1992. Not sure why everyone cares so much, given that we have t’internet now, I’m sure these companies will still get their message across...
Edited by: "joeydeacon" 12th Mar
Gormond12/03/2020 10:48

Sony would probably show us more about the PS5 and what their first party …Sony would probably show us more about the PS5 and what their first party studios are working on, studios such as Japan Studio, Polyphony Digital, Guerrilla Game, Insomniac Games, San Diego Studio, Santa Monica Studio...As for Nintendo we have no release schedule for 2020 beyond Animal Crossing (out this month) so they will no doubt have a huge list of titles coming out in the next 12 month we dont yet know about.The reason both them don't show is that they have enough content to have their own events, no need to share the limelight with others when you don't need too.

What event did sony have that showed anything new? When it comes to the PS5 they have nothing new to share yet and that was from sony themselves about 2 week ago, late feb.
Snakeyes64612/03/2020 11:19

What event did sony have that showed anything new? When it comes to the …What event did sony have that showed anything new? When it comes to the PS5 they have nothing new to share yet and that was from sony themselves about 2 week ago, late feb.

Just because Sony have nothing to share in February doesn't mean that will be the case in June. Expect to see many new unannounced games from Sony this year from the studios I have previously mentioned and many more.
Gormond12/03/2020 11:27

Just because Sony have nothing to share in February doesn't mean that will …Just because Sony have nothing to share in February doesn't mean that will be the case in June. Expect to see many new unannounced games from Sony this year from the studios I have previously mentioned and many more.

I'd be surprised that's all.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants