EA shuts down Visceral Games.

Found 17th Oct 2017
EA has come out and said they are closing Visceral Games. The Amy Hennig Star Wars title will now be focused on by other EA studios whilst Visceral closes.

In an EA blog by Patrick Söderlund, he wrote ''In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game''. The test game was tested to a select audience and listened to the feedback that was received. He goes on to state ''We will maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore''.

The development of the Star Wars title will be taken over by EA Worldwide Studios, led by an EA Vancouver team.
The release date has also been pushed from the 2019 fiscal year, to an unannounced date, which will be revealed at a later date.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
13 Comments

Seems like Visceral Games is now dead somewhere in the space...
Edited by: "mixmixi" 17th Oct 2017

Sad news. Hope they can all land somewhere. Maybe an independant 'Dead Space' spiritual successor...

Amy Henning wrote "a story-based, linear adventure game" and they are surprised? That's pretty much her wheel house, why even hire her.

What was the "focus tested" response, "this isn't KOTOR!"

And nothing of value was lost.

catbeans34 m ago

What was the "focus tested" response, "this isn't KOTOR!"

I think it'd have been more along the lines of; "where are the loot boxes?"

On the above picture there is a fine line between try to save and killed.

EA are always made out to be villians and Ubisoft, 2k etc are all as bad to be honest.

EA if anything is better behaved now than many of its competitors...

joanddan74 h, 33 m ago

On the above picture there is a fine line between try to save and …On the above picture there is a fine line between try to save and killed.EA are always made out to be villians and Ubisoft, 2k etc are all as bad to be honest.EA if anything is better behaved now than many of its competitors...

Which above company was in trouble and 'saved' by EA.

Projects were saved and game franchises. They didn't go out and kill successful game developers that were standing on their own two feet and if they did its someone elses greed that let them in the front door...

You let a big multinational in the front door of your company you can expect things to change...

You believe they would still be going if EA hadn't got involved?

joanddan711 m ago

Projects were saved and game franchises. They didn't go out and kill …Projects were saved and game franchises. They didn't go out and kill successful game developers that were standing on their own two feet and if they did its someone elses greed that let them in the front door...You let a big multinational in the front door of your company you can expect things to change...You believe they would still be going if EA hadn't got involved?

Yes, I do. Look at the list of franchises those companies had, they are either still making money or a new game would do really well.

I don't really get your point either, because that's exactly what they did, they took over Devs standing on their own two feet, acid striped the companies for resources, IP and staff.

joanddan76 h, 33 m ago

On the above picture there is a fine line between try to save and …On the above picture there is a fine line between try to save and killed.EA are always made out to be villians and Ubisoft, 2k etc are all as bad to be honest.EA if anything is better behaved now than many of its competitors...

The were improving, but the BF2 gameplay-influencing loot box thing put me right off them again.

catbeans2 h, 59 m ago

Yes, I do. Look at the list of franchises those companies had, they are …Yes, I do. Look at the list of franchises those companies had, they are either still making money or a new game would do really well.I don't really get your point either, because that's exactly what they did, they took over Devs standing on their own two feet, acid striped the companies for resources, IP and staff.

Not sure you know what "took over" entails.

greedy people sold up to the "devil."

If they were fianacially sound or wanted to keep going you don't let EA in the door.

EA can't just turn up and strip down your company.

copperspock1 h, 50 m ago

The were improving, but the BF2 gameplay-influencing loot box thing put me …The were improving, but the BF2 gameplay-influencing loot box thing put me right off them again.

They are far far far from perfect but not the pantomime villains people make out.

joanddan715 m ago

Not sure you know what "took over" entails.greedy people sold up to the …Not sure you know what "took over" entails.greedy people sold up to the "devil."If they were fianacially sound or wanted to keep going you don't let EA in the door. EA can't just turn up and strip down your company.

When they bought out those companies it was a completely different time and I don't think you know what business entails. Of course the owners sell off the company, it's a great investment opportunity and it gives the company a chance to grow as well as the agreed amounts were always massive. Pretty much all those companies were doing quite well and solid before they sold for investment, you can read up about each company, there is no guess work.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions