Earache remedies!!

Found 13th Mar 2009
Anyone know of any that are useful, had earache for the past couple of days and nothing seems to be shifting it. Cheers

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
32 Comments

chop it off ?

An old 'cure' from my Gran, it works for me! Just gently heat a few drops of olive oil and put then in the sore ear. Place some cotton wool in afterwards to keep it in. Please do not heat the oil up too much! Just enough so it is warm. It's very soothing.

depends whats causing it. aspirin can work if its from inflamation from infection, olive oil off a warm teaspoon if its wax deep down. Also a hot water bottle held to ear ( in a blanket or something) helps too.

I'm always getting earache...... i find if i actually DO the washing up, she tends to shut up

Best to get it checked out by the local Nurse....Could be inflammation if symptoms have persisted for such time....or could be an obstruction e.g. wax or something else, you'll be surprised by what people can find in their ears sometimes! lol

Olive oil will help for melting the wax as others have said....

Can you get someone to look to see if it is inflamed? If it is red on the ear canal you might need some medication.

Of course it could be red where you can't see too! Always see the Dr. If symptoms persist.

I suffer with sore ears alot... MIne tend to need to be kept warm - sometimes I put some cotton wool in my ear to keep the draft out, and I have a hot cup of tea. Usually after an hour it goes!

Original Poster

Never heard of the oil thing, but I shall give it a go. I have an ear infection, was prescribed Amoxycillon from my doctor but as yet it hasn't made a difference to the aching pain. If all else fails I shall chop it off, cheers for the advice Thomas!

Original Poster

I suffer a lot with my ears, its quite irritating actually. Its always the same one too.

Ah you've already been prescribed Antibiotics......I guess it was 250mg of Amoxycillin and depends on how far you are into the course of antibiotics.....Best to see the Doctor tho, they can exactly tell you whats wrong...lol...We can only speculate

Do you find if you sleep on one side all night that you get earache? You might have to programme yourself to roll over.

Also I have to avoid open windows!

ClaireG;4628308

I suffer a lot with my ears, its quite irritating actually. Its always … I suffer a lot with my ears, its quite irritating actually. Its always the same one too.

I have been using the Olive Oil trick since I was a kid, if it dousnt cure it, it will relieve it for a while... only toothache worse than ear ache!

If I were you I would get to the Dr's asap, if it's a build up of wax or an infection it will need a prescription! >>>>>>>>> go on then .. off with you!

ClaireG;4628296

Never heard of the oil thing, but I shall give it a go. I have an ear … Never heard of the oil thing, but I shall give it a go. I have an ear infection, was prescribed Amoxycillon from my doctor but as yet it hasn't made a difference to the aching pain. If all else fails I shall chop it off, cheers for the advice Thomas!

How long have you already been taking it? Take some anti inflammatory's and keep the affected side warm. I usually rest my head on a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel.

Original Poster

Haha I've been to the doctors, I'm just guessing I'm not far enough into the course of drugs I've bee prescribed with. Dunno if I'm just weird but the thought of putting warm oil in my ear gives me the eebeegeebees!!

Banana79;4628261

An old 'cure' from my Gran, it works for me! Just gently heat a few drops … An old 'cure' from my Gran, it works for me! Just gently heat a few drops of olive oil and put then in the sore ear. Place some cotton wool in afterwards to keep it in. Please do not heat the oil up too much! Just enough so it is warm. It's very soothing.

I'm doing this for my son at the moment:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Since Wednesday so only a couple of days. I do the hot water bottle thing but it only eases it for so long.

ClaireG;4628375

Since Wednesday so only a couple of days. I do the hot water bottle thing … Since Wednesday so only a couple of days. I do the hot water bottle thing but it only eases it for so long.

it's difficult....I'd say they will probably have kicked in enough for you to notice by tonight or tomorrow morning. But then again it's a long wait over the weekend if your in pain. I'd personally try and persevere until tomorrow and if it's not starting to feel a little better you could always get to an NHS walk in centre.

Banana79;4628261

An old 'cure' from my Gran, it works for me! Just gently heat a few drops … An old 'cure' from my Gran, it works for me! Just gently heat a few drops of olive oil and put then in the sore ear. Place some cotton wool in afterwards to keep it in. Please do not heat the oil up too much! Just enough so it is warm. It's very soothing.

Same here, the doctor actually told me to do this last time I had earache (although I just put it in straight from the bottle) and have been doing it ever since, even with the kids, at the first sign of earache and it's always cleared up within 24 hours.

Original Poster

I'll try the oil thing in a bit then and see how that works out. Cheers guys, I've left you all rep!

Divorce

Original Poster

I'm not married :roll:

ClaireG;4628550

I'm not married :roll:

Some earth shattering love making then. I'm free. I mean I'm doing nothing but charge £100 an hour.

Just make sure you got a good magazine for the other 59 minutes.

Original Poster

Haha! Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind for when this pain gets worse :thumbsup:

I've heard garlic is an old home remedy - did a search and this came up

Crush a garlic clove and wrap in kitchen towel, then squeeze the juice … Crush a garlic clove and wrap in kitchen towel, then squeeze the juice into the ear, wrap a small amount of the crushed garlic in a little bit more kitchen towel and place gently in the ear and leave for 30mins or so. Will produce a cooling effect, although it smells, it works

Banana79;4628261

I always do this, usually just before I go to bed, feels really weird but tends to do the trick! Hope ur ear ache goes away soon, I hate getting sore ears!

Original Poster

Its the worst pain ever! Not sure about putting garlic in my ears, I'll be stinking lol thanks for the advice though

cud try putting selotape in your ear ?

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

Never put anything into ears, until you know what the problem is.

Have seen far too many things made a lot worse because people have assumed it's wax blockage etc. Don't need GP appt, lots of Walk in Centres can sort these problems out.

If you are having repeated ear problems, you should ask for referral to ENT specilaist.

:

iglimpse;4633581

Never put anything into ears, until you know what the problem is. Have … Never put anything into ears, until you know what the problem is. Have seen far too many things made a lot worse because people have assumed it's wax blockage etc. Don't need GP appt, lots of Walk in Centres can sort these problems out.If you are having repeated ear problems, you should ask for referral to ENT specilaist.

:thumbsup:

Maybe its old age.

Original Poster

Faiza;4634565

Maybe its old age.

Shut up
Post a comment
@
    Text