Earphone with volume control and dedicated track skip for generic Android?

Found 16th Feb 2016
I'm struggling to find earphones or an adapter for earphones to plug into with volume control and dedicated track skip buttons rew/previous and fwd/next.

I use the multi click shortcuts for track skipping on a cheap old Nokia pair of earphones with my Sony Xperia but really want dedicated buttons to press just once. I can only find a few that specify compatibility only with certain Samsung models, is this not universally possible on an Adroid? Is bluetooth my only option?
Community Updates
13 Comments
What's wrong with bluetooth?
I have a pair of Aldi or Lidl £16.99 (I think) that connects to my Moto G or my PC or my Sony Home Cinema. On the Moto G if I'm not interested in a particular track it's right hand to headphones a simple click of a button and the next track starts.

I'm not saying my bluetooth headphones are top quality for audiophiles but they do for me and if a call comes through it's just another click to answer.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
I think some of the samsung headphones can do that. They're usually a few quid on ebay. I'll take a look and get back to you.
You could also try something like this if not a new set of headphones.

play.google.com/sto…rol
Really depends how much you are willing to spend.

degausslabs.com/ear…ale Around £40 They do loads of others also in higher price ranges.

SENNHEISER Momentum 2.0 IEG (IEi is the apple model number version) Didn't check different retailers for prices but Currys came up at £80
currys.co.uk/gbu…tml?srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!51335381375!!!g!87734829935!&ef_id=U@v4-wAABYaEV9nJ:20160216235540:s

Bose Soundsport cira £110.
amazon.co.uk/Bos…ort

cecilmcroberts

Really depends how much you are willing to spend. … Really depends how much you are willing to spend. http://degausslabs.com/earphones/sabotageroyale Around £40 They do loads of others also in higher price ranges. SENNHEISER Momentum 2.0 IEG (IEi is the apple model number version) Didn't check different retailers for prices but Currys came up at £80http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/headphones/headphones/sennheiser-momentum-2-0-ieg-headphones-black-red-10071799-pdt.html?srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!51335381375!!!g!87734829935!&ef_id=U@v4-wAABYaEV9nJ:20160216235540:sBose Soundsport cira £110.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bose-SoundSport-Headphones-Samsung-Android/dp/B0117RFPCC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455667505&sr=8-2&keywords=bose+soundsport

They are still multiclick. Op seems to be after some kind of earphone with dedicated volume up and down , track fwd and rwd and track skip fwd and rwd buttons . Can't say i have ever seen any with 6 buttons and quite rightly too oO .
I use Xiaomi piston 3 with my Sony Xperia Z3c. You can buy them for around £10. 1 tap pause/unpause, 2 taps next track and 3 taps previous track + volume control.
Also buy the app Poweramp from the play store for £2.99 (miles better than Sony music player). If you don't want to spend £2.99 on an app you can buy a EE payg sim card for 99p from ebay which comes loaded with £5 credit that can be used in the Google play store. ebay.co.uk/itm…rue
There is currently no wired headphone that will work with Android music features apart from play/pause. I previously spent years waiting for a pair to surface and tried many apps in the Play store to no avail.

So, in answer to your question, you can either:
Buy a pair of SBH80 bluetooth headphones. I have some, they're excellent.
- or -
Buy the SBH20 which will let you plug your own headphones into it and control the music via the bluetooth buttons.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Regarding phil's question 'what's wrong with bluetooth?', my main issue is battery. It is not something I use everyday but need it to work for 5 hours when i pick up once in a while. Audio quality isn't too important and neither is additional size.

chocci has got it.The links all have a single button which works the way dragon explains. I don't want to press 3 times to go back or do short click long click combinations. Once is fine but when you have to go back 5 songs timing and clicking 15 times is no fun.

Not sure why "quite rightly too" and weird face, it would basically be this but also with an input to physically connect to the device. amazon.co.uk/Blu…L6/

Dragon, the pistons are nice I hear and one I would consider in that design but I'm really after the skip buttons.

Is this technologically not possible on the Android does anyone know? (There are plenty with this design for iphone). Or is it because everybody prefers wireless when they want more control options?
My bt earphones have one click for forward and backwards and battery lasts 5+ hours easily and only take an hour to fully charge

pcadvisor.co.uk/rev…19/
dkl_uk

There is currently no wired headphone that will work with Android music … There is currently no wired headphone that will work with Android music features apart from play/pause. I previously spent years waiting for a pair to surface and tried many apps in the Play store to no avail.So, in answer to your question, you can either:Buy a pair of SBH80 bluetooth headphones. I have some, they're excellent.- or -Buy the SBH20 which will let you plug your own headphones into it and control the music via the bluetooth buttons.

You are correct, I searched further into various forums and the dedicated buttons apparently only work on some high end samsungs like galaxy which similar to apple have some non-standard connector.

The SBH20 or similar Nokia are good buys but the battery life won't work for me, both standby and run are too short. The SBH50 series is better but just too expensive with features I don't need. Rather than such an adapter, a bluetooth remote would probably be better for me and continue using regular wired earphones. amazon.co.uk/Cke…AS/

There is one last option I need to investigate in more detail before this which is using the volume buttons to skip tracks. It seems some audio apps already accept long click (hold) on volume to skip. The apps I found that allow general customizing of clicks only do it for the main button not volume, need to investigate.
faxmax

You are correct, I searched further into various forums and the dedicated … You are correct, I searched further into various forums and the dedicated buttons apparently only work on some high end samsungs like galaxy which similar to apple have some non-standard connector.The SBH20 or similar Nokia are good buys but the battery life won't work for me, both standby and run are too short. The SBH50 series is better but just too expensive with features I don't need. Rather than such an adapter, a bluetooth remote would probably be better for me and continue using regular wired earphones. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ckeyin-Bluetooth-Wireless-Control-Smartphone/dp/B00VV4TRAS/There is one last option I need to investigate in more detail before this which is using the volume buttons to skip tracks. It seems some audio apps already accept long click (hold) on volume to skip. The apps I found that allow general customizing of clicks only do it for the main button not volume, need to investigate.

my headphones above do exactly that

power button = long hold for power on / off, short for pause track
volume up = long hold for next track, short repetitions for volume up
volume down = long hold for previous track, short repetitions for volume down

easily last 5+ hours and often available for around £10-£12. Has mic facility too for phone calls. I use the andrid app POWERAMP as its excellent.
Edited by: "chocci" 19th Feb 2016
chocci

my headphones above do exactly thatpower button = long hold for power on … my headphones above do exactly thatpower button = long hold for power on / off, short for pause trackvolume up = long hold for next track, short repetitions for volume upvolume down = long hold for previous track, short repetitions for volume downeasily last 5+ hours and often available for around £10-£12. Has mic facility too for phone calls. I use the andrid app POWERAMP as its excellent.

Yes, but they are bt, I meant using volume to skip on wired. The other bt options discussed have longer battery, both run and standby, for similar price. Anyway if going bt I would prefer the adapter route because it gives better flexibility. In my case, I need 8-10 hour run and 300 standby battery which are too expensive so if I can't do wired I will buy a small remote.
Just so you know, if you use a smartphone, you can, if you're up for it, download one of the modified operating systems found on xda-developers.com which include the volume key track skipping modifications. I found that no app in the play store could replicate the command properly.

CyanogenMod comes with it as standard, sometimes you've got to turn the option on, but it works flawlessly within PowerAmp which has already been recommended in this thread. It was the first app I ever paid for and it's well worth it five years later.

If you tell me what the exact model & year your phone is then I could have a look for the correct download(s) for you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants