Earplugs ??@@!! AAARRRGGGHHH

Found 5th Jan
So next door have had the tv on all night !!!! it's not that loud but I'm such a terrible sleeper I can still hear it.

What earplugs would you recommend? I've had ones for festivals before and the foam ones always seemed to do very little to block sound. had some silicone ones before too but found them really uncomfortable, would wake up in the morning with ear pains...

is something like this just a con ??

ear-plugs.co.uk/pro…wcB
Community Updates
Ask
28 Comments
did you speak with the neighbours?
Couldn't hear a word they were saying due to the telly!
mattsk1 h, 7 m ago

did you speak with the neighbours?

Honestly I don't think they are being that loud I think it's just thin walls and elderly people so it's probably on as quiet as they could have it for them. We probably make much worse noise during the day time with our music so looking at it as a bit of give and take. Hopefully some good quality ear plugs will sort it out without any confrontation
I use wax earplugs from boots. They last for ages and are really comfortable.
32993467-0aJ97.jpg
I put them in a little container next to my bed.
32993467-DJ4sT.jpg
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 5th Jan
I just buy a pack of laser lite ear plugs from ebay every so often and they seem just fine.
chrisredmayne48 m ago

Honestly I don't think they are being that loud I think it's just thin …Honestly I don't think they are being that loud I think it's just thin walls and elderly people so it's probably on as quiet as they could have it for them. We probably make much worse noise during the day time with our music so looking at it as a bit of give and take. Hopefully some good quality ear plugs will sort it out without any confrontation

Is it normal they leave it on all night? Are they ok?
Maybe one is deaf and went to bed. While the other stayed up and fell asleep in front of the TV. Do you have a spare socket timer you could setup and give them. Set it to say turn off between 1am and 6am. Guaranteed TV off time
chrisredmayne56 m ago

Honestly I don't think they are being that loud I think it's just thin …Honestly I don't think they are being that loud I think it's just thin walls and elderly people so it's probably on as quiet as they could have it for them. We probably make much worse noise during the day time with our music so looking at it as a bit of give and take. Hopefully some good quality ear plugs will sort it out without any confrontation

Nothing stopping your from discussing that with them .
Try a 'white noise for sleep' app. Takes a little getting used to, annoying for the first ten minutes then it fades into the background. Helps to mask other noise too.
We have a noise generator I got free from Amazon in a glitch (off this site), it has white noise, brown noise, sea, storm, rain (Makes me want to pee ) plus other sounds. The white noise works the best.
Maybe this plus ear plugs (phone changed it to rear plugs - glad I spotted that before posting) would do the trick?
Edited by: "mrty" 5th Jan
RiverDragon81 h, 14 m ago

I use wax earplugs from boots. They last for ages and are really …I use wax earplugs from boots. They last for ages and are really comfortable.[Image] I put them in a little container next to my bed.[Image]

These are truly awful! The soft silicone ones are ten times better, I use them when I go out on my motorbike.

@chrisredmayne I am the same, I would recommend using an app like Relax meditation, it has numerous different sounds to help you sleep, like rain, waterfalls, storms, birds, flute music etc etc., you can set a timer to turn it off after a set time too.
You could try these from amazon - amazon.co.uk/Mol…ion
Basically a selection of 10 different pairs so you can try them and see which ones work best for you, only £3.19 delivered.
Skaman2 m ago

You could try these from amazon - …You could try these from amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moldex-Howard-Leight-Honeywell-Variety/dp/B01N4VPCCV/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1515146802&sr=8-5&keywords=ear+plugs+selectionBasically a selection of 10 different pairs so you can try them and see which ones work best for you, only £3.19 delivered.

They're cr@p, I've already tried them.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 5th Jan
I find these really good and comfy, just remember you probably won't hear your alarm in the morning!
amazon.co.uk/Plu…ugs
You may get the cheaper on ebay or elsewhere.
Another thing I find useful is to listen to audiobooks till I fall asleep. The phone app from my local library gives really good, free books and has a built in sleep timer.
i have very sensitive hearing so i have always had to wear earplugs to sleep since i was very young. It is deadly quiet outside our house but i can still hear things at night and can't get to sleep if i don't have the earplugs in.

i find that 3M foam earplugs are the best at blocking out noise and is comfortable inside the ears all night. they fit tightly as they are easily moulded. they are re-useable but they have to be replaced regularly as they lose their elasticity after a while.

i recently bought a box of 20 pairs from ebay quite cheaply. i used to buy a box of 3 pairs from boots, which is a lot more expensive.
My mrs uses a fan as white noise to help her sleep, even used a fan noise on youtube on my phone while on holiday
Edited by: "ding" 5th Jan
Have you looked at other things affecting your sleep? It may be that your mattress is worn out or your pillows are the wrong height.
Try some cotton wool in your ears with a little bit of vaseline on it. works for my Mr's when next door has his tv on all night.
webtrawler3 m ago

Try some cotton wool in your ears with a little bit of vaseline on it. …Try some cotton wool in your ears with a little bit of vaseline on it. works for my Mr's when next door has his tv on all night.

my dad's gp told me never put cotton buds in your ears as they can damage your ears.
mutley116 m ago

my dad's gp told me never put cotton buds in your ears as they can damage …my dad's gp told me never put cotton buds in your ears as they can damage your ears.

They are not cotton buds just balls of cotton wool.
RiverDragon84 h, 17 m ago

I use wax earplugs from boots. They last for ages and are really …I use wax earplugs from boots. They last for ages and are really comfortable.[Image] I put them in a little container next to my bed.[Image]

I second these.
webtrawler39 m ago

They are not cotton buds just balls of cotton wool.

the gp told me, in no circumstance put any cotton buds inside your ear, whether they be cotton balls or cotton buds. i told him that i am surprised he has advised this as they sell them in the shops especially for your ears! he said nonetheless don't do it.
Look into having some custom mould ones made to suit your ears. They will cost £50-100 but will work well, fit better, be more comfy to sleep in, washable and last for years. I have tried and failed to sleep normal disposable ear plugs loads of times.
RiverDragon85 h, 30 m ago

These are great. You need to shape the ends to make them comfortable to wear otherwise they're not.
I had this issue with a family next door. First they were really loud that I had to complain. That stopped and started constantly.

Then they finally turned off their bass box after 11pm then I would hear vibrating through the wall and the sound of a TV and bass.

After trying to bang on the wall and speak to them I got no where.

One night I spoke to them again, and actually explained the problem to a different member of the house hold (shared house) and turns out that their TV is mounted to the wall next to mine, so they weren't aware off the noise.

I can still hear it but it's no where near as loud. But I have sensitive hearing.

So some nights I use foam ear plugs, used to use the silicone ones but they'd end up on the floor and tangled with dog hair. Or the small dog would take them out my ear and eat them (poxy mut).

But I did use some ear phones and some calming rain drop sounds. Worked a while but some nights I'd have ear pains from the buds.

Now it seems cold air has helped calm me into a restful sleep but this doesn't work every night.

I'd suggest speaking g to the neighbor, then trying masking the sound with soothing noises (wind, rain, waves etc) from your phone.
aninginaneana6 h, 14 m ago

I find these really good and comfy, just remember you probably won't hear …I find these really good and comfy, just remember you probably won't hear your alarm in the morning! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugz-Silicone-Earplugs-Pairs-inclusive/dp/B00CEZYK4G/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515147676&sr=8-2&keywords=silicon+earplugsYou may get the cheaper on ebay or elsewhere. Another thing I find useful is to listen to audiobooks till I fall asleep. The phone app from my local library gives really good, free books and has a built in sleep timer.

I believe these are £1.99 in savers. I remember seeing them for around £5 online and my next visit into town I spotted them much cheaper.

It's either these or a similar brand.
mutley14 h, 28 m ago

the gp told me, in no circumstance put any cotton buds inside your ear, …the gp told me, in no circumstance put any cotton buds inside your ear, whether they be cotton balls or cotton buds. i told him that i am surprised he has advised this as they sell them in the shops especially for your ears! he said nonetheless don't do it.

The reason people buy cotton buds is to clean their ears and that was what the gp was referring to.
Yep....i use the 3m ones and you can bulk buy from amazon....they really work.....
i got a pair from spec savers, as i thought i didn't want any old pair that would be pushed deeper if i slept on them and safer if i got them from a place that sells earing aids, handy when you have thin walls, or when u go in hotels
chrisredmayne16 h, 41 m ago

is something like this just a con ?? ear-plugs.co.uk/pro…wcB

It does seem to be lots of marketing fluff and such (if you compare that site to niftyaudio.com its apparent how much of it is influenced by Richards design and input etc) but Andrew does seem to be a long standing sound engineer. I would probably get in touch with him through the niftyaudio FB page and ask him some questions there if I was interested in them
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants