Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Earth connection on plastic back box

Posted 10th May
I have replaced an external socket in the garden and I noticed that the back box has an earth connection, like shown in the photo below.

This is also on the old back box but it was never connected.

I saw a youtube video and the guy says that this connector on the back of the box is to stop the switch being pulled off the back box as the earth cable runs from the switch to this back box.

Is this its purpose and do I need to connect this second earth as it wasn't connected before.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Did you not want to ask the electrician that came the other day all these kind of questions?
Haircut_10010/05/2020 15:21

Did you not want to ask the electrician that came the other day all these …Did you not want to ask the electrician that came the other day all these kind of questions?

Much better to ask random people on the internet and then take the poor advice given and use it to carry out unqualified electrical work.
mutley110/05/2020 15:51

no need to lecture.

Well you never listen so, somethings do need to be said constantly.
I sincerely hope this is at your own home and not one of your rental properties, as if anything was to go wrong somebody will be sueing you for a lot of money should they be electrocuted due to your incompetence.
24 Comments
Did you not want to ask the electrician that came the other day all these kind of questions?

Did you not want to ask the electrician that came the other day all these …Did you not want to ask the electrician that came the other day all these kind of questions?

Much better to ask random people on the internet and then take the poor advice given and use it to carry out unqualified electrical work.

no, better to ask on here as i get free advice on here
"external socket in the garden"
joyf453610/05/2020 15:28

yes, lots of people have them
if you use the back box like the one shown for a light switch ,it is some where to connect the earth to.as the earth still has to be connected even if not required at the light switch to protect the cable.
I hope the photo is an example and not the one you used externally.
mutley110/05/2020 15:29

yes, lots of people have them

So do I, a waterproof one.
I sincerely hope this is at your own home and not one of your rental properties, as if anything was to go wrong somebody will be sueing you for a lot of money should they be electrocuted due to your incompetence.
1850maggie10/05/2020 15:36

if you use the back box like the one shown for a light switch ,it is some …if you use the back box like the one shown for a light switch ,it is some where to connect the earth to.as the earth still has to be connected even if not required at the light switch to protect the cable.I hope the photo is an example and not the one you used externally.

that is a photo i found on the internet which clearly shows the earth connector. the socket is a proper external socket.

it is already earthed on the switch connections itself, which is quite standard. i was just puzzled to see this extra earth connector on a plastic back box as i haven't seen this before. it is meant to be connected to the earth connector on the socket if you do use it. it wasn't used in the old socket that i replaced as the plastic lid had become damaged.

not connecting this extra earth connection never did any harm to the old switch, which have been working for years and is still working fine.
Edited by: "mutley1" 10th May
Dyslexic_Dog10/05/2020 15:48

I sincerely hope this is at your own home and not one of your rental …I sincerely hope this is at your own home and not one of your rental properties, as if anything was to go wrong somebody will be sueing you for a lot of money should they be electrocuted due to your incompetence.

no need to lecture.
joyf453610/05/2020 15:36

So do I, a waterproof one.

so is mine, like this

no need to lecture.

It wasn't a lecture it is a genuine concern, if it is one of your rental properties you shouldn't be messing around with electrical items that you have no real understanding of.
The idiot on YouTube needs a slap. The earth terminal is not there to stop the socket front from falling on the floor.

As 1850maggie explained, you don’t need to use that terminal.

no need to lecture.

Well you never listen so, somethings do need to be said constantly.
Dyslexic_Dog10/05/2020 15:55

It wasn't a lecture it is a genuine concern, if it is one of your rental …It wasn't a lecture it is a genuine concern, if it is one of your rental properties you shouldn't be messing around with electrical items that you have no real understanding of.

The rules are changing from 1st Jul 2020, (1st Apr 2021 if existing tenant) and covid is not an excuse. It's a good thing as quite frankly the likes of mutley1 will no longer be able to casually do 'as little as possible' to get by.

EICR
Edited by: "OllieSt" 10th May
Doug_10/05/2020 16:30

The idiot on YouTube needs a slap. The earth terminal is not there to stop …The idiot on YouTube needs a slap. The earth terminal is not there to stop the socket front from falling on the floor. As 1850maggie explained, you don’t need to use that terminal.

that wasn't what 1850maggie said. he is referring to the standard earth terminal which i am fully aware of. this is an extra earth terminal which doesn't seem to be needed on a plastic back box. the youtube video states that this extra connection is to stop someone pulling the socket away from the wall / back box, at time 11.42 on the video

it does sound a bit strange to use an earth terminal as a stay for the socket.

youtube.com/wat…QY0
joyf453610/05/2020 15:28

Yes a waterproof one, I have one in the garden so does everyone on my road.
rimalpatel00710/05/2020 18:51

Yes a waterproof one, I have one in the garden so does everyone on my road.

A proper waterproof one is OK.
mutley110/05/2020 17:34

that wasn't what 1850maggie said. he is referring to the standard earth …that wasn't what 1850maggie said. he is referring to the standard earth terminal which i am fully aware of. this is an extra earth terminal which doesn't seem to be needed on a plastic back box. the youtube video states that this extra connection is to stop someone pulling the socket away from the wall / back box, at time 11.42 on the video it does sound a bit strange to use an earth terminal as a stay for the socket.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYyGpte8QY0

The earth terminal in a plastic back box is spare. Plastic light switches and blanking plates often have no earth terminal so the terminal in the enclosure is a useful way to connect the earth wires together. Sometimes it’s convenient to terminate the earths in the back box with a link to the front. Just ensure the earth wires are linked together and to the earth terminal on a socket and to any metal casing.
I know people are bored but have we seriously resorted to unscrewing all our sockets and switches for a giggle.
Doug_10/05/2020 19:43

The earth terminal in a plastic back box is spare. Plastic light switches …The earth terminal in a plastic back box is spare. Plastic light switches and blanking plates often have no earth terminal so the terminal in the enclosure is a useful way to connect the earth wires together. Sometimes it’s convenient to terminate the earths in the back box with a link to the front. Just ensure the earth wires are linked together and to the earth terminal on a socket and to any metal casing.

thanks for clearing that up, that makes perfect sense
Edited by: "mutley1" 11th May
You are required to earth all external sockets.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions