Groups

Easter Eggs

Happy Easter!! I was wondering, in todays society where we have to pay for carrier bags in some shops why are we still selling Easter Eggs with the plastic moldings inside?? We have managed to do some really cool stuff, but we still cant cme up with a more biodegradable way of packaging eggs. The average child will get 6-7 eggs and the cardboard can be re-cycled, but the plastic will sit on a waste dump for eons.!!!!

29 Comments

The problem with Easter Eggs is that presentation is everything, so the egg inside the box needs to be displayed.

Without the plastic, you will find eggs where people have pushed their finger through just to damage the egg. I remember this happening all the time before they started using the plastic inners.

not only chocolate egss, its every childs toy, more plastic on them then there is on the toy!!

Original Poster

masterruckus;1764025

not only chocolate egss, its every childs toy, more plastic on them then … not only chocolate egss, its every childs toy, more plastic on them then there is on the toy!!

There are certain girls dolls that are particularly bad, I just think it is a shame!

Original Poster

Joff;1764012

The problem with Easter Eggs is that presentation is everything, so the … The problem with Easter Eggs is that presentation is everything, so the egg inside the box needs to be displayed.Without the plastic, you will find eggs where people have pushed their finger through just to damage the egg. I remember this happening all the time before they started using the plastic inners.

Really?? I didnt know that they ever did them without the plastic??? I guess people would poke them then.

I hate the packaging on kids toys, they look great in the box but when one eventually gets the plastic and cardboard off, the toy is tiny and looks lame.
    There is actually a chocolate chick by cadburys just covered in foil, on sale this year but let's face it, most of us are going to buy the £1 tesco or asda eggs.

emmaelise;1764037

Really?? I didnt know that they ever did them without the plastic??? I … Really?? I didnt know that they ever did them without the plastic??? I guess people would poke them then.

I didn't know they did them with the plastic. Shows the last time I had an egg. :oops:

Original Poster

nightswimmer;1764046

I didn't know they did them with the plastic. Shows the last time I had … I didn't know they did them with the plastic. Shows the last time I had an egg. :oops:

AHHHHHH!! That makes me sad?? Did no-one get you one????

Original Poster

sophie***;1764043

I hate the packaging on kids toys, they look great in the box but when … I hate the packaging on kids toys, they look great in the box but when one eventually gets the plastic and cardboard off, the toy is tiny and looks lame.There is actually a chocolate chick by cadburys just covered in foil, on sale this year but let's face it, most of us are going to buy the £1 tesco or asda eggs.

I have to say, I got the Tescos ones and I feel a bit bad about it, but they were so cheap this year. It is a shame that they have to put the plastic on to stop the "pokers"!!

I Agree The Plastic Ties And Pacaging On Toys Is A Pain

We gave money instead of eggs because kids get too many eggs, but cost us 5x as much

Cadburys did an egg (as well as the chick) without a box/plastic this year - although I havent seen them - read about it, and dad has seen them in asda

Banned

What county do you live in? Plastic gets put in a big vat heated so it melts into a nice liquid then made into other plastic mouldings.

Banned

kelly_o_fanatic;1764067

We gave money instead of eggs because kids get too many eggs, but cost us … We gave money instead of eggs because kids get too many eggs, but cost us 5x as muchCadburys did an egg (as well as the chick) without a box/plastic this year - although I havent seen them - read about it, and dad has seen them in asda

I saw them in Tesco but when the medium sized eggs were same 99p with two packets of something else it was better value to buy the bigger packaged one.

Joff;1764012

The problem with Easter Eggs is that presentation is everything, so the … The problem with Easter Eggs is that presentation is everything, so the egg inside the box needs to be displayed.Without the plastic, you will find eggs where people have pushed their finger through just to damage the egg. I remember this happening all the time before they started using the plastic inners.

sophie***;1764043

I hate the packaging on kids toys, they look great in the box but when … I hate the packaging on kids toys, they look great in the box but when one eventually gets the plastic and cardboard off, the toy is tiny and looks lame.There is actually a chocolate chick by cadburys just covered in foil, on sale this year but let's face it, most of us are going to buy the £1 tesco or asda eggs.

Why do some people have to open, poke, break and steal bits? Without said packaging , customer service/returns would be a lot busier. Sad but true.

emmaelise;1764049

AHHHHHH!! That makes me sad?? Did no-one get you one????

hehehe...Don't be sad. I come from a family where Easter Eggs were always just for the kids, so haven't had a big egg for years (nor wanted one).

our local council recycles plastic!

bitseylango;1764081

Ours doesnt, we recycle our plastic bottles (and cardboard) ourselves but nowhere to recycle other plastics

We got 2 eggs this year, one for mum and one for dad.

Kids got money

I got an hours driving lesson (Dont eat chocolate - still got an egg from last year, and I only got that 1!)

Original Poster

kelly_o_fanatic;1764089

Ours doesnt, we recycle our plastic bottles (and cardboard) ourselves but … Ours doesnt, we recycle our plastic bottles (and cardboard) ourselves but nowhere to recycle other plasticsWe got 2 eggs this year, one for mum and one for dKids got moneyI got an hours driving lesson (Dont eat chocolate - still got an egg from last year, and I only got that 1!)

I asked the family to give my daughter a bar of choc or similar this year as she got 17 eggs last year and I ended up melting them down and making crispy cakes. Ridiculous.

Original Poster

bitseylango;1764081

Our council is only just got the hang of this recycling thing. We have a box for cardboard and a huge bin for plastic bottles and aerosol tins, nothing else. So the box gets really full and the bin has haadly anything in it fortnightly.

emmaelise;1764105

I asked the family to give my daughter a bar of choc or similar this year … I asked the family to give my daughter a bar of choc or similar this year as she got 17 eggs last year and I ended up melting them down and making crispy cakes. Ridiculous.

Good idea, we used to melt ours down when we were kids (now we just dont get them)

We gave money, but I'm not surprised few people do this - cost us 5x as much. Not sure why but giving a £1 egg is fine, but giving £1 is not. :?

Original Poster

kelly_o_fanatic;1764114

Good idea, we used to melt ours down when we were kids (now we just dont … Good idea, we used to melt ours down when we were kids (now we just dont get them)We gave money, but I'm not surprised few people do this - cost us 5x as much. Not sure why but giving a £1 egg is fine, but giving £1 is not. :?

Yes you are right. But I suppose if everyone gave a pound they would soon mount up,

emmaelise;1764144

Yes you are right. But I suppose if everyone gave a pound they would … Yes you are right. But I suppose if everyone gave a pound they would soon mount up,

I would of been happy with £1 when I was younger, but now it seems that you cant give coins, has to be notes

kelly_o_fanatic;1764150

I would of been happy with £1 when I was younger, but now it seems that … I would of been happy with £1 when I was younger, but now it seems that you cant give coins, has to be notes

They should bring back the £1 note - it would solve that problem. :thumbsup:

I just wait until after and get em when they nigh on giving them away

pinkleponkle;1764174

I just wait until after and get em when they nigh on giving them away

My sister tried to buy an adult size egg from Tesco on Friday morning, but they didn't have any. You can bet your bottom dollar that they'll have them out on the shelves next week though at half price or whatever. It's crazy .

My tesco is all sold out so they may genuinely have none. My local sainsburys isn't that popular and they always gash up on their stock levels. I also don't care what they have as long as it's cheap. Chocolate is chocolate afterall

Banned

dcx_badass;1764256

Took us ages to find some yesterday. Checked Morrisons, Woolworths and a … Took us ages to find some yesterday. Checked Morrisons, Woolworths and a few other stores in the end got the last two from Superdrug.Morrisons and Woolworths both only had the same kit kat one left.Also Morrisons sold an egg with no packaging just the foil. It was about £1-2 I think I didn't check.

Checked five shops near us none in stock, it seems Tesco and such selling them for £1 before Easter got rid of them before they were even halved in price.

kelly_o_fanatic;1764089

(Dont eat chocolate - still got an egg from last year, and I only got … (Dont eat chocolate - still got an egg from last year, and I only got that 1!)

Think it's about time you passed that egg onto your Mum and Dad to scoof Julia!

Novel idea:-

spend the tenner for a easter egg on DECENT chocolate and make your own with the kids.

ps, effort and family time required.

Cadburys done some Easter Eggs this yr without the packaging cos 1 of my kids Nans got them 1 each,they were mini egg ones,just foil on them,no box,no plastic,the mini eggs were inside the egg shell.
    My Mum thinks they waste of cash and she give them a tenner each instead which I'll bank tomorrow for them.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Find out how good your GP surgery is1010
      2. Did you know?2951
      3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2336
      4. word association Game72744169

See more discussions