Groups

Easy way to back up a whole drive?

I'm trying to back up a whole drive before wiping it and reinstalling Windows, I'm currently transferring the whole hard drive to a usb hard drive but I get the occassional error where it can't transfer a file or a folder for some reason and it just stops there. Then I have to go through and manually copy the whole tree isolating the file/folder that it had a problem copying.

Is there an easier solution to what I'm trying to do, maybe a backup program that will copy everything and won't have a problem with a few files/folders?

Thanks!

8 Comments

Acronis True Image.

As mentioned earlier... something like Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost will do the job. I believe both have free trial versions available...

I tend to do this, (Win XP):

Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Command prompt

then just use XCOPY:

XCOPY source destination /E /V /C /H /R /K /Y /Z

Where;

/E Copies directories and subdirectories, including empty … /E Copies directories and subdirectories, including empty ones. Same as /S /E. May be used to modify /T. /V Verifies each new file. /C Continues copying even if errors occur. /H Copies hidden and system files also. /R Overwrites read-only files. /K Copies attributes. Normal Xcopy will reset read-only attributes. /Y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an existing destination file. /Z Copies networked files in restartable mode.

:thumbsup:

Original Poster

I like the look of that one, forgot about xcopy, used to love dos! Ironic that it's a better solution to this than Windows!

Microsoft SyncToy (Free download):

]http//ww…=en

anooobist;7717922

As mentioned earlier... something like Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost … As mentioned earlier... something like Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost will do the job. I believe both have free trial versions available...

+1. :thumbsup:

Banned

whatever you do, dont use acronis true image 2010 (buggy as hell - 2 separate backups from 2 pcs both failed on me!). Amazon reviews say it all.

read here for alternative free stuff

hotukdeals.com/ite…kup
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3321185
      2. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…33
      3. New Nintendo 3DS XL – SNES Edition available in UK from October1326
      4. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?1525

See more discussions