Easyjet charging £4 for your 1 free cabin bag at the desk

Found 2nd May 2017
Hi All

why charge us £4 per person each side for dropping off our 1 free allowed cabin bag at the desk? By not taking cabin bag we are making it easy for EasyJet.

EasyJet are about to charge £4 per bag or £10 per family each way to drop 1 free cabin bag at the desk. I think it's unfair as they are benefiting from reduced congestion in overhead storage inside the aircraft.

Not rolled out across the country but I experienced this in Bristol airport on my way back to Edinburgh. This is not fair on families with children who would like to check in their hand luggage at the desk to avoid security issues. Corporate greed has made easyJet to charge us for this convenience. Any ideas on consumer activism?
Community Updates
28 Comments
There now charging for passengers to put free cabin bags in the luggage hold, thus the cabin bag now becomes luggage?

Seems fair to me, unless I've missed something?
we werent charged they took all of ours on the way back from malaga last week. If they charge then take it onboard? it is after all hand luggage!
andynicol

There now charging for passengers to put free cabin bags in the luggage … There now charging for passengers to put free cabin bags in the luggage hold, thus the cabin bag now becomes luggage?Seems fair to me, unless I've missed something?

me too..as its around £50 for a case its good value lol X)
I can't see your case at all.
Seems odd, I always thought i was doing the airline a favor for not carrying it onboard

Seems a fair handling charge to me.
*plane
I'm confused. You want to check in your hand baggage? Doesn't that make it hold baggage? It is either one or the other. It is free if you put it in the overhead locker and do all that yourself. I'm obviously missing something here. Can you give them your hand baggage and they put it in the hold?
xtremedell

...Any ideas on consumer activism?

I would post it as a deal on HUKD as the minimum charge for the smallest / lightest item to be carried as hold luggage on Easyjet is £12, so the charge of only £4 is an absolute bargain. Heat.
I'm all in favour of it. Well worth it if you have small children, and flights are cheap enough so can't wait for the roll out...
psychobitchfromhell

I'm confused. You want to check in your hand baggage? Doesn't that make … I'm confused. You want to check in your hand baggage? Doesn't that make it hold baggage? It is either one or the other. It is free if you put it in the overhead locker and do all that yourself. I'm obviously missing something here. Can you give them your hand baggage and they put it in the hold?

Budget airlines will only let x amount of passengers take hand luggage on board as the amount of overhead lockers is insufficient for the amount of passengers wanting to take hand luggage after x amount of passengers the remaining passengers are made to check in their hand luggage usually free but it seems easy jet want to cash in on the free hand luggage
For anybody that's doesn't understand.... this doesn't make it 'hold luggage' because it still has to be hand luggage size and doesn't mean you can take this item plus another item as hand luggage so you don't really benefit from this other than you don't have to carry your hand luggage around the airport with you. As already mentioned airlines usually appreciate you doing this as there quite often isn't room for all hand luggage in the over head storage. So basically what the op is saying is you're doing easyJet a favour and having to pay for the privilege
ding

Budget airlines will only let x amount of passengers take hand luggage on … Budget airlines will only let x amount of passengers take hand luggage on board as the amount of overhead lockers is insufficient for the amount of passengers wanting to take hand luggage after x amount of passengers the remaining passengers are made to check in their hand luggage usually free but it seems easy jet want to cash in on the free hand luggage

Well I never knew this. It would never have occurred to me. I'll go to t'foot of our stairs
If this is the case, would they be better off allowing free smaller hold luggage or maybe one free piece of hold luggage per family group ? I never knew about this and regularly see people trying to cram things into the overhead lockers which clearly are way too big and heavy
I don't see your point. Nothing wrong with them charging for checking in your hand luggage to the hold like they do for hold luggage. As others have said, they have to deal with administering and handling of the hold luggage so costs them money, which they are passing on. It is a budget airline after all.
howarth3

For anybody that's doesn't understand.... this doesn't make it 'hold … For anybody that's doesn't understand.... this doesn't make it 'hold luggage' because it still has to be hand luggage size and doesn't mean you can take this item plus another item as hand luggage so you don't really benefit from this other than you don't have to carry your hand luggage around the airport with you. As already mentioned airlines usually appreciate you doing this as there quite often isn't room for all hand luggage in the over head storage. So basically what the op is saying is you're doing easyJet a favour and having to pay for the privilege

If it's going on hold easyJet will have to pay both airports baggage handling fees hence why they are passing it onto the customer directly rather than putting prices up for all
whatyadoinsucka

If it's going on hold easyJet will have to pay both airports baggage … If it's going on hold easyJet will have to pay both airports baggage handling fees hence why they are passing it onto the customer directly rather than putting prices up for all

The point is some hand luggage usually has to be checked in anyway so if people are offering why are they being charged? If people are offering it means easyJet don't have to force people to do it resulting in less angry customers
howarth3

The point is some hand luggage usually has to be checked in anyway so if … The point is some hand luggage usually has to be checked in anyway so if people are offering why are they being charged? If people are offering it means easyJet don't have to force people to do it resulting in less angry customers

Because checked luggage before security incurs a fee from the airport baggage handlers. Checked luggage at the gate doesn't.
Edited by: "chocci" 3rd May 2017
If you don't like their terms don't use them? Plenty of other airlines to fly with? Never understand people grumbling about this type of thing.
I flew from Manchester a few weeks ago, I was over weight limits (40kg), they let me put some in hand luggage then checked it in to hold free. I took a small rucksack out of hand luggage out laptop headphones in it so still have a cabin luggage bag too
I can't complain at their service and would happily have paid £4 if needed too

Had similar with Ryan air but their handluggage is limited to 10kg
Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 3rd May 2017
Why on earth would you want to check in hand luggage?
Do you enjoy queuing the extra 20 minutes at the carousel instead of just heading off out of the airport instantly?
The mind boggles.
howarth3

For anybody that's doesn't understand.... this doesn't make it 'hold … For anybody that's doesn't understand.... this doesn't make it 'hold luggage' because it still has to be hand luggage size and doesn't mean you can take this item plus another item as hand luggage so you don't really benefit from this other than you don't have to carry your hand luggage around the airport with you. As already mentioned airlines usually appreciate you doing this as there quite often isn't room for all hand luggage in the over head storage. So basically what the op is saying is you're doing easyJet a favour and having to pay for the privilege

Any form of bag/suitcase/rucksack regardless of size becomes hold luggage when its put in the hold.

A bag/suitcase/rucksack of the correct size taken on board is hand luggage.

Its not hard to understand.
You won't be able to claim on your insurance if you let hand luggage go in the hold.
termite

You won't be able to claim on your insurance if you let hand luggage go … You won't be able to claim on your insurance if you let hand luggage go in the hold.

why not? its tagged just like hold luggage..
termite

You won't be able to claim on your insurance if you let hand luggage go … You won't be able to claim on your insurance if you let hand luggage go in the hold.

Of course you will.

Once you surrender any luggage to be taken as hold luggage, initially intended for cabin or not, to the check-in desk, they will apply the necessary labels, this then becomes hold luggage, and will thus be insured as such.

Edited by: "andynicol" 8th May 2017
andynicol

Of course you will.Once you surrender any luggage to be taken as hold … Of course you will.Once you surrender any luggage to be taken as hold luggage, initially intended for cabin or not, to the check-in desk, they will apply the necessary labels, this then becomes hold luggage, and will thus be insured as such.

yep i do get sick of seeing mis-information......
plumberman01

plumberman01

You tell that to the people it has happened to.
termite

You tell that to the people it has happened to.

you're telling me if you put hand luggage in the hold, tagged, you have no claim on insurance? i cant see how this is different from hold luggage?
£4? Vueling want to charge me £20 for a put in the hold bag before check-in, probably want to charge me more at the desk.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants