EASYJET help!! Cancelled a holiday before they have taken money

Found 1st Aug 2011
hi

i am such a wally. i booked a holiday to majorca for all of 15 mins!
i luckily noticed that the hotel i book was not what i thought. a similar named hotel had ace reviews on trip advisor, but the real hotel i actually booked had terrible reviews.

easyjet hadnt actually taken any money by this time as it was still showing in my balance in nationwide.
so i transfered this back to my holiday savings asap, in the hope they cant request it.

i rung nationwide to make sure i wont be liable for any charges if they actually request the money in the near furture - so she cancelled my card stating that i cannot be liable for any charges now from nationwide.

my worry now is what will happen from easyjet? i have gone through their cancel section on the online booking form.

will they just email sayin cancellation confirmed and no charges from them?

any advice is much apreciated

ta
Community Updates
46 Comments
Stelios will turn up at your door with some 'friends'
Well if the money didnt go out and your card is cancelled they cant do much
Banned
No. They will still want they money and thank you for donating your seats back so they can sell on to someone else.
Original Poster
what will they do then?
Just ignore their emails, if you get any emails and want to reply say it was a fraudulent transaction and you have cancelled the card.
Usually they charge you to cancel but if your money is still there and card cancelled you should be ok, but rebooking maybe interesting for you
Time for a big rick visit
If they e-mailed you to confirm the booking then your are liable and they can chase you for the debt. Surely your bank should have told you that (_;)
pinkleponkle

Time for a big rick visit

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa9/ville_valo_luv/jackedup-1.gif

Stelios debt collection
Edited by: "simplex" 1st Aug 2011
Banned
choc1969

If they e-mailed you to confirm the booking then your are liable and they … If they e-mailed you to confirm the booking then your are liable and they can chase you for the debt. Surely your bank should have told you that (_;)

No apparently because he said a big boy did it and ran away, Easy Jet decided they were in fact not a money grabbing airline and everybody lived happily ever after.

The end.
Original Poster
jus re checked my bank and its now -£600, they have taken the money and i am liable to pay as my bank have just said. i need to cancel it with easyjet - who are now closed :-(. im going to get charged. does anyone know how much the charge is?
djmalone1985

jus re checked my bank and its now -£600, they have taken the money and i … jus re checked my bank and its now -£600, they have taken the money and i am liable to pay as my bank have just said. i need to cancel it with easyjet - who are now closed :-(. im going to get charged. does anyone know how much the charge is?

100%
You may cancel your booking within 24 hours of making the original booking. Please note a cancellation can only be processed up to two (2) hours prior to the flight's scheduled departure time. You will receive a refund (including APD but excluding any credit card, transfer, speedy boarding, sports equipment, or other administrative fees). A cancellation fee per passenger per journey will be charged in accordance with the table below. Cancellation must be made via our call centre (for other telephone numbers visit the contact us section). Refunds will be made to the credit or debit card used to make your booking.

easyJet regrets that it is unable to offer refunds in the event of passengers being unable to fly owing to any change in personal circumstances, including but not limited to medical grounds, with the exception of the application of the 24 hour cancellation policy.

In exceptional circumstances, however, easyJet will consider issuing a credit in the event of the bereavement of an immediate family member (mother, father, brother, sister, grandparent or child) provided that the claim and a copy of the death certificate are submitted by post to the easyJet Customer Services Department.

All claims will be assessed entirely at the discretion of easyJet. This credit will be to the value of the original fare paid, per passenger per journey, and can be used against any future flights on easyJet within the following six month period.

easyJet strongly recommends passengers obtain adequate travel insurance to cover them in such circumstances.
Currency Cancellation fee
GBP 30.00

link

simplex

You may cancel your booking within 24 hours of making the original … You may cancel your booking within 24 hours of making the original booking. Please note a cancellation can only be processed up to two (2) hours prior to the flight's scheduled departure time. You will receive a refund (including APD but excluding any credit card, transfer, speedy boarding, sports equipment, or other administrative fees). A cancellation fee per passenger per journey will be charged in accordance with the table below. Cancellation must be made via our call centre (for other telephone numbers visit the contact us section). Refunds will be made to the credit or debit card used to make your booking.easyJet regrets that it is unable to offer refunds in the event of passengers being unable to fly owing to any change in personal circumstances, including but not limited to medical grounds, with the exception of the application of the 24 hour cancellation policy.In exceptional circumstances, however, easyJet will consider issuing a credit in the event of the bereavement of an immediate family member (mother, father, brother, sister, grandparent or child) provided that the claim and a copy of the death certificate are submitted by post to the easyJet Customer Services Department.All claims will be assessed entirely at the discretion of easyJet. This credit will be to the value of the original fare paid, per passenger per journey, and can be used against any future flights on easyJet within the following six month period.easyJet strongly recommends passengers obtain adequate travel insurance to cover them in such circumstances.Currency Cancellation feeGBP 30.00link

lucky its not more
Original Poster
so is it just a £30 cancellation fee?
djmalone1985

And a good kicking from Stelios
djmalone1985

is it not per passenger
Original Poster
per passanger per journey so £30 x 2 x 2?

even in the 24hr cancellation policy?

omg
choc1969

is it not per passenger

Per passenger, and there are other terms thrown in
Why not just book the other hotel?
Jetpac

Why not just book the other hotel?

Rooms need hoovering and stuff

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/13464/building-collapse-o.gif

djmalone1985

per passanger per journey so £30 x 2 x 2?even in the 24hr cancellation … per passanger per journey so £30 x 2 x 2?even in the 24hr cancellation policy?omg

ouch oO
Banned

i rung nationwide to make sure i wont be liable for any charges if they … i rung nationwide to make sure i wont be liable for any charges if they actually request the money in the near furture - so she cancelled my card stating that i cannot be liable for any charges now from nationwide.

djmalone1985

jus re checked my bank and its now -£600, they have taken the money and i … jus re checked my bank and its now -£600, they have taken the money and i am liable to pay as my bank have just said. i need to cancel it with easyjet - who are now closed :-(. im going to get charged. does anyone know how much the charge is?

Surely if you cancelled the card before they took the payment then the payment should have been declined?
What did the bank say when you called them back and asked them how someone managed to charge your card after it was cancelled?
Banned
Who cares what the bank said? It's not their error or problem the op isnt quite with it
Banned
Banned
simplex

Per passenger, and there are other terms thrown in

yep, such as any increase in the flights since you booked.
Banned
simplex

You may cancel your booking within 24 hours of making the original … You may cancel your booking within 24 hours of making the original booking. Please note a cancellation can only be processed up to two (2) hours prior to the flight's scheduled departure time. You will receive a refund (including APD but excluding any credit card, transfer, speedy boarding, sports equipment, or other administrative fees). A cancellation fee per passenger per journey will be charged in accordance with the table below. Cancellation must be made via our call centre (for other telephone numbers visit the contact us section). Refunds will be made to the credit or debit card used to make your booking.easyJet regrets that it is unable to offer refunds in the event of passengers being unable to fly owing to any change in personal circumstances, including but not limited to medical grounds, with the exception of the application of the 24 hour cancellation policy.In exceptional circumstances, however, easyJet will consider issuing a credit in the event of the bereavement of an immediate family member (mother, father, brother, sister, grandparent or child) provided that the claim and a copy of the death certificate are submitted by post to the easyJet Customer Services Department.All claims will be assessed entirely at the discretion of easyJet. This credit will be to the value of the original fare paid, per passenger per journey, and can be used against any future flights on easyJet within the following six month period.easyJet strongly recommends passengers obtain adequate travel insurance to cover them in such circumstances.Currency Cancellation feeGBP 30.00link

isnt this just the policy for flights?

i thought the op booked a holiday....with a hotel for 600 quids?

completely different trying to get a refund for a hotel room in my experience, especially booked through another agent like errr easyjet.

i attempted to get a refund for a crap secret hotel from last minute....got the runaround but did eventually get a full refund from the hotel themselves after a letter to their head office
You're screwed. Most likely will have to pay the cancellation fee per person.
I don't understand how people can book holidays just like that - these things take hours and research and scrutiny of T&C's. Especially when you were booking with EasyJet - extra research and time is needed.
Edited by: "texan" 2nd Aug 2011
or go through a proper ABTA approved dealer next time...

Is Easyjet ABTA approved?

i rung nationwide to make sure i wont be liable for any charges if they … i rung nationwide to make sure i wont be liable for any charges if they actually request the money in the near furture - so she cancelled my card stating that i cannot be liable for any charges now from nationwide.

djmalone1985

jus re checked my bank and its now -£600, they have taken the money and … jus re checked my bank and its now -£600, they have taken the money and i am liable to pay as my bank have just said. i need to cancel it with easyjet - who are now closed :-(. im going to get charged. does anyone know how much the charge is?

No.. When the OP press the buy button on the website he entered the contract.

Payments can take upto 24 hours to come out of a bank account.

OP - you would of been best to try and swap hotels.

Banned
RickT

No.. When the OP press the buy button on the website he entered the … No.. When the OP press the buy button on the website he entered the contract.Payments can take upto 24 hours to come out of a bank account. OP - you would of been best to try and swap hotels.

I didn't mean he wouldn't have entered a contract (although I'm not sure he would have without payment being taken), I'm wondering how they took the money from an already cancelled card. It should have been declined, unless it had already been taken and the bank told him wrong information.

djmalone1985

Just because you have cancelled your card doesn’t mean that any transactions done prior to the cancellation are not valid. Plenty of people seem to think that cancelling your card gets you out of any authorised payments you have requested which is not the case.

OP if your bank account is in the minus, do you have an authorised overdraft in place? If not, you may find you have bank charges to add to your list of charges.
djmalone1985

per passanger per journey so £30 x 2 x 2?even in the 24hr cancellation … per passanger per journey so £30 x 2 x 2?even in the 24hr cancellation policy?omg

Better than £600... Don't know why you didn't just call them in the first place.
Banned
OP just been thinking about it. You should be able to transfer the tickets to another flight for less than the cost of cancelling, give them a buzz.

Just checked another thread apparently it's £15 per flight to transfer.

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho…231
Banned
fluffyundacrakas

Just because you have cancelled your card doesn’t mean that any t … Just because you have cancelled your card doesn’t mean that any transactions done prior to the cancellation are not valid. Plenty of people seem to think that cancelling your card gets you out of any authorised payments you have requested which is not the case. OP if your bank account is in the minus, do you have an authorised overdraft in place? If not, you may find you have bank charges to add to your list of charges.

Thats my point, if it was authorised before the card was cancelled then the available balance should have shown as £600 less than it was and the bank should have seen the authorisation and told the OP that the payment had already been authorised so it would come out regardless of cancelling the card.
If it wasn't already authorised then it should have been declined surely?

Thats my point, if it was authorised before the card was cancelled then … Thats my point, if it was authorised before the card was cancelled then the available balance should have shown as £600 less than it was and the bank should have seen the authorisation and told the OP that the payment had already been authorised so it would come out regardless of cancelling the card.If it wasn't already authorised then it should have been declined surely?

When companies ringfence money, they don’t always do it within minutes of the payment being authorised.

Also since I’m guessing the OP never told the bank clerk the reason he was cancelling the card was to get out of paying Easyjet because of a mistake he made, am guessing he said it was because he lost his card, the bank clerk would have assumed that any payments made prior to the point of contact were legit.

If the payment was not authorised then yes the money would not have been take. However it was authorised.
choc1969

If they e-mailed you to confirm the booking then your are liable and they … If they e-mailed you to confirm the booking then your are liable and they can chase you for the debt. Surely your bank should have told you that (_;)

Don't the DSR apply with these cases? Not saying they do, just asking.
Banned
deek72

Don't the DSR apply with these cases? Not saying they do, just asking.

Nope. DSR doesn't come into it for flights.

Lol.... I just learnt our friends in Switzerland went to meet our Easyjet flight this morning in Geneva. Oops..... That's a day early! I don't think she is best pleased with us...... But hardly our fault if they didn't read the details right!

Edited by: "guv" 2nd Aug 2011
My dad just book a holiday through teletext which was on the same basis and he cancelled the card with the bank before the money was withdrawn. Next Day the money had come of the card.

He rung goverment help line/trading standards and they told him that because he made the agreement and given them his card details he was breaking the contract by stopping the payment by cancelling the card. When he told them the money had been taken they advsied him that was good because they could prosicute him for breach of contract if they could not get the money.

Also DSR does not apply to flights or holidays strangly enough.
I think you need to make a

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/loisfoxus/gif/animev7.gif

for it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions