Eating After Exercise when losing weight, how long do you wait?

Found 14th Sep 2009
If your trying to lose weight and you do a cardio workout say 1 hour, how long do you wait before eating again, and what do you eat?

14 Comments

Your thinking about it all wrong,

Some research has shown that even the smallest amount of cardio can lead to your body burning fat at an increased rate for up to 12 hours later.

I really wouldn't worry about when you eat more consider what it is you eat, as if you consider it you body won't be able to use the nutrients in the food for at least a hour after you have eaten in due to the speed you digests food.

Another tip that worked wonders for me, i did a 40 min cardio workout 4-5 times a week so that my body was consistently burning. This leads to a change in lifestyle which helps keep the weight off, i am now doing 3-4 *30 mins and i can really relax what i eat

hope this helps

moulez;6295171

Your thinking about it all wrong, Some research has shown that even the … Your thinking about it all wrong, Some research has shown that even the smallest amount of cardio can lead to your body burning fat at an increased rate for up to 12 hours later. I really wouldn't worry about when you eat more consider what it is you eat, as if you consider it you body won't be able to use the nutrients in the food for at least a hour after you have eaten in due to the speed you digests food. Another tip that worked wonders for me, i did a 40 min cardio workout 4-5 times a week so that my body was consistently burning. This leads to a change in lifestyle which helps keep the weight off, i am now doing 3-4 *30 mins and i can really relax what i eat hope this helps

I know its wrong but I used to go mad on the exercise bike and burn like 800 calories in a hour then use a rowing machine for 30 minutes and treadmill for 10, then come home and be so starving I downed a whole bottle of 2 litre Pepsi and/or ate something like a whole pack of biscuits or a naan bread salad with chilli sauce or a small pizza and gained weight.

I just assumed it was because I pigged out after the workout.

ryouga;6295205

I know its wrong but I used to go mad on the exercise bike and burn like … I know its wrong but I used to go mad on the exercise bike and burn like 800 calories in a hour then use a rowing machine for 30 minutes and treadmill for 10, then come home and be so starving I downed a whole bottle of 2 litre Pepsi and/or ate something like a whole pack of biscuits or a naan bread salad with chilli sauce or a small pizza and gained weight.I just assumed it was because I pigged out after the workout.

try eating slow releasing carbs a couple of hours before a workout ie pasta, oats, things like that. Then working upto and during your workout ensure your well hydrated (throughtout the whole day ideally) and then after your work out eat something with plenty of protein but low in fat ie Chicken, turkey, etc and have a glass of semi skimmed milk that way it should ensure your full and hopefully you dont pig out.

my advice when exercising is load up on a high carb meal before, preferably low gi. leave at least an hour before you exercise. afterwards, eat a good source of protein within an hour of finishing to ensure maximum muscle repair (all those aching muscles need a little help) and max muscle growth.
that's my rule of thumb and i always recover quickly and have loads of energy before i start.;-)

i do a 2.5 mile jog thrice weekly, and am eating minimally, in the late evening.

i can feel, and almost see the loss. if you eat fatty foods, you'll nullify workout. as for healthy/light food, still eat moderately.

I don't really have a plan I just dived into a change of routine and food choice. Eating less, more often seems to be the way I'm working at the moment.

It's working so I'll just keep making it up as I go along.

abomination;6295409

I don't really have a plan I just dived into a change of routine and food … I don't really have a plan I just dived into a change of routine and food choice. Eating less, more often seems to be the way I'm working at the moment.It's working so I'll just keep making it up as I go along.

yep lots of small meals through the day means you keep your metabolism working all throughout the day.

Think some of you guys have the wrong end of the stick.

This person is trying to loose weight not build.

Eat lean meat, fish, fruit, veg and salad. Quinoa (tesco is the only supermarket to sell it) is the only carb I eat as a replacement for rice/pasta as its filling has many of the essential amino acids not normally found in non meat products. Cut out as much fat as you can. My treat a day was a jaffa cake. You should be able to drop 20% of your body weight in 8 weeks without any muscle wastage.

To answer the OP's question If your cutting right down on your sugars and carbs then after your work out drink 250ml of lucozade sport or equivalent and sit for 30min as your blood glucose levels will have dropped out of range. If your at the gym don't drive home until at least 30min after your drink. As people have said after an hour try and eat light for the next few hours a whole mix of food, but keep sugar and carbs low.

GAVINLEWISHUKD;6295420

Think some of you guys have the wrong end of the stick. This person is … Think some of you guys have the wrong end of the stick. This person is trying to loose weight not build. Eat lean meat, fish, fruit, veg and salad. Quinoa (tesco is the only supermarket to sell it) is the only carb I eat as a replacement for rice/pasta as its filling has many of the essential amino acids not normally found in non meat products. Cut out as much fat as you can. My treat a day was a jaffa cake. You should be able to drop 20% of your body weight in 8 weeks without any muscle wastage.

no offence to you as youve even given me advice in the past, however i dont see anything particularly different between your advice and mine?

EDIT: maybe it wasnt aimed at me, its getting late = me tired! :whistling:

Biscuits

awoodhall2003;6295430

no offence to you as youve even given me advice in the past, however i … no offence to you as youve even given me advice in the past, however i dont see anything particularly different between your advice and mine?EDIT: maybe it wasnt aimed at me, its getting late = me tired! :whistling:

No not aimed at anybody, just for loosing weight there is no point or need for carbs loading. Your just eating unneeded calories as there is no need to increase workout capacity although as you get leaner and fitter you will naturally be able to increase it.

GAVINLEWISHUKD;6295449

No not aimed at anybody, just for loosing weight there is no point or … No not aimed at anybody, just for loosing weight there is no point or need for carbs loading. Your just eating unneeded calories as there is no need to increase workout capacity although as you get leaner and fitter you will naturally be able to increase it.

ah thats cool, you know more then me anyways...im still a noob!
i havent lost that much yet due to a few things, but soon to hit it hard and get myself back down to a better weight and a better size for myself. have actually been compiling a menu plan for about 2-3weeks with a good mix of foods and exercise in it

awoodhall2003;6295455

ah thats cool, you know more then me anyways...im still a noob!i havent … ah thats cool, you know more then me anyways...im still a noob!i havent lost that much yet due to a few things, but soon to hit it hard and get myself back down to a better weight and a better size for myself. have actually been compiling a menu plan for about 2-3weeks with a good mix of foods and exercise in it

Well it all depends what you want out of it, see I'm old now so done the Johnny Bravo thing, when you hit 30 it's all about keeping the weight off as your body doesn't work so fast. It is hard work, the first week did a pure carb free week and felt carp. Now lifes pretty easy, I eat sensible without even trying and 3 hours exercise a week is enough to keep me trim.

GAVINLEWISHUKD;6295471

Well it all depends what you want out of it, see I'm old now so … Well it all depends what you want out of it, see I'm old now so done the Johnny Bravo thing, when you hit 30 it's all about keeping the weight off as your body doesn't work so fast. It is hard work, the first week did a pure carb free week and felt carp. Now lifes pretty easy, I eat sensible without even trying and 3 hours exercise a week is enough to keep me trim.

im 22 in 3days, and currently weigh in at 200lbs at 6ft tall. I have been at about 170lbs before and i felt good, that was with around 4hrs exercise a week but majority was weights so although i felt better i wasnt as slim as some as i toned a lot.

But now im wanting to slim down this extra weight ive put on and then tone after slimming down...so advice taken...i might try a carbs free week, ive done it before though and felt so tired.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48810998
    2. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games78
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604827
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769585

See more discussions