Unfortunately this deal is no longer valid
Expired

eBay

Posted 27th Apr
I bought an iphone (used) on eBay 2 weeks ago, I only started using it last week. Tonight I pressed the home button to see the time & the screen was black with about 4 lines down the right hand side. There’s also slight bits of light leaking in round some parts of the edges of the screen.
I messaged the seller asking if the screen had been replaced at any point, she said it had but in the listing it wasn’t mentioned or I wouldn’t have bought it. The description just said great condition (which it is apart from what’s happened tonight) always has screen protector on and been on a case.

So my question is, is there anything I can do about it as I’ve bought on eBay before but never had a problem. Or have I just lost out and will need to pay for a repair?

Thanks for reading.
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
Just factory reset it, open up an ebay dispute to return, and take pictures of it with fault when doing this so ebay can see the evidence when reviewing the case, return it with signed for and tracked post through royal mail
Just open a SNAD case with eBay or PayPal, you'll get a full refund and be asked to return the item. No evidence is even needed (though I'd recommend you provide as much as you can), they always side with the buyer on stuff like this. The only thing you must not do is close the case until your refund is received in your original payment method, as cases cannot be reopened once closed; if a seller tells you to close the case for whatever reason (for example, if they say they will refund if you do) do not listen as they may be scamming you.
Not the seller's problem you sat on your phone, but it is about to become the seller's problem.
Even if the screens are changed, it still requires some form of pressure to cause bleeding of the screen and lines etc. No way did that happen by you just pressing the middle button.

You should face the fact it was working, somehow you have damaged it and now needs repairing. You cant expect the seller to give you a lifetime warranty on it. That can happen to an original screen as well.
Wow!! Wouldn’t be writing on here if I had, anyway I’ve spoken to someone who does genuine iPhone screen repairs so going to get it done myself, less hassle .. thanks for your help
Should have mentioned, the light leaking parts were there when I originally turned it on after buying it but had got worse 😡 took photos so have before and after (the lines) pics!!
claire751927/04/2019 22:34

Wow!! Wouldn’t be writing on here if I had, anyway I’ve spoken to someone w …Wow!! Wouldn’t be writing on here if I had, anyway I’ve spoken to someone who does genuine iPhone screen repairs so going to get it done myself, less hassle .. thanks for your help

Do not do the repair until you reach a resolution with the seller. Perhaps you could agree to a partial refund and you keeping the item to be repaired. If the seller has sent you a faulty phone, they are liable to fix it so don't let them get away.
jamie1527/04/2019 23:16

Do not do the repair until you reach a resolution with the seller. Perhaps …Do not do the repair until you reach a resolution with the seller. Perhaps you could agree to a partial refund and you keeping the item to be repaired. If the seller has sent you a faulty phone, they are liable to fix it so don't let them get away.

Thanks Jamie, the screen is also very slightly loose at the top corner too. The seller probably had it repaired in good faith, just wish it had have been mentioned in the listing as i’d avoided all those that had mentioned any sort of repair.
Edited by: "claire7519" 27th Apr
claire751928 m ago

Thanks Jamie, the screen is also very slightly loose at the top corner …Thanks Jamie, the screen is also very slightly loose at the top corner too. The seller probably had it repaired in good faith, just wish it had have been mentioned in the listing as i’d avoided all those that had mentioned any sort of repair.

I am not calling the seller a scammer, but they would still be the liable party here. Even if genuine, things can go wrong and they should be putting it right. Opening a claim is surely a better route than paying for extra repairs? If the seller is honest, they would be happy to put the issues right.
Go to your eBay purchase history. Select there is a problem with the item I bought and open a return. Ensure you state that the item was faulty on first use - do not waffle just explain the first time you took it out of the box and turned it on xyz happened.

As long as you are clear in your case, the seller has 8 days to resolve. If they don't resolve (refund or ask you to return at their expense) within this time you can escalate the case to ebay on day 8.

When you escalate, ebay will make a decision - almost always in favour of the buyer - and will ask you to return the phone or they will simply refund you. If they ask you to return it they will supply a label which will be prepaid and charged to the seller.

Once the item is returned, the seller has no choice but to refund. If they hold off on the refund - ie they are challenging your return - then ebay will refund you and ask the seller to appeal or they will reimburse you both.

You have 30 days to open the case, the 30 days starts from the latest delivery estimate or the actual day the item was delivered.
claire75199 h, 4 m ago

Thanks Jamie, the screen is also very slightly loose at the top corner …Thanks Jamie, the screen is also very slightly loose at the top corner too. The seller probably had it repaired in good faith, just wish it had have been mentioned in the listing as i’d avoided all those that had mentioned any sort of repair.

The seller has purposefully hidden a repair of the phone and has tried to swindle you, now you are going to pay to have it fixed properly out of your own pocket? Honestly the seller has done nothing in good faith, return the item and buy another one from someone with morals.
master1027/04/2019 22:27

Even if the screens are changed, it still requires some form of pressure …Even if the screens are changed, it still requires some form of pressure to cause bleeding of the screen and lines etc. No way did that happen by you just pressing the middle button.You should face the fact it was working, somehow you have damaged it and now needs repairing. You cant expect the seller to give you a lifetime warranty on it. That can happen to an original screen as well.

Actually some of the cheapo screens are really poor quality and pressing the home button is enough pressure to cause the fault. Perhaps there may already be pressure on the other side of the screen etc..
claire751910 h, 21 m ago

Wow!! Wouldn’t be writing on here if I had, anyway I’ve spoken to someone w …Wow!! Wouldn’t be writing on here if I had, anyway I’ve spoken to someone who does genuine iPhone screen repairs so going to get it done myself, less hassle .. thanks for your help

No, by doing that you're enabling them to scam other people in the future. Ebay will favour you if you return it.
.MUFC.28/04/2019 08:53

Actually some of the cheapo screens are really poor quality and pressing …Actually some of the cheapo screens are really poor quality and pressing the home button is enough pressure to cause the fault. Perhaps there may already be pressure on the other side of the screen etc..

If that was the case it would have happened more or less straight away not after a weeks worth of use.
master109 m ago

If that was the case it would have happened more or less straight away not …If that was the case it would have happened more or less straight away not after a weeks worth of use.

True but I've experienced these faults with cheapo replacement screens. Maybe the fault wasn't present at first.
master1028/04/2019 09:14

If that was the case it would have happened more or less straight away not …If that was the case it would have happened more or less straight away not after a weeks worth of use.

Well that’s how it happened so please do not insinuate I am lying!!
claire751928/04/2019 10:40

Well that’s how it happened so please do not insinuate I am lying!!

I'm not insinuating anything, I said it doesn't happen on its own.

Theres only two reasons. Either one 1)It was damaged whilst in your pocket/bag etc and when you have come to press the button it was evident. Or 2) You are lying. Can only be two options.
master1010 m ago

I'm not insinuating anything, I said it doesn't happen on its own. Theres …I'm not insinuating anything, I said it doesn't happen on its own. Theres only two reasons. Either one 1)It was damaged whilst in your pocket/bag etc and when you have come to press the button it was evident. Or 2) You are lying. Can only be two options.

It hasn’t been in my pocket or bag, i have just come out of hospital so haven’t been anywhere. So it must be the latter eh, must be great to be such a know it it all.
deleted1080215
Sorry, but who gets buys a second hand phone and waits a week before they switch it on and check it? If I was the seller I would feel I was being scammed.
Edited by: "deleted1080215" 28th Apr
deleted108021528/04/2019 11:22

Sorry, but who gets buys a second hand phone and waits a week before they …Sorry, but who gets buys a second hand phone and waits a week before they switch it on and check it? If I was the seller I would feel I was being scammed.

A person who was in hospital 👌🏻
Thanks for all your help & thanks to those who assumed quite a lot .. discussion closed. Got all the advice I needed .. and more
deleted1080215
claire751940 m ago

A person who was in hospital 👌🏻

Apologies, missed that bit. Hope all is well now.
However, the seller is going to ask the same question.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions