eBay

Posted 7th Oct
So today eBay messaged me informing me that they're restricting my account from buying and selling for the next 7 days.

Here's why: because I sent a potential buyer my address in private messages so they could come and view the item before committing to buy.

I contacted eBay and their stance was:

- That's not how it works, buyers should buy the item before.
- I should have listed it as a classified ad if I wanted the buyer to view it before purchasing.
- They didn't want me to circumvent their system.
- The restrictions still remain and will not be removed until the 7 days is up.

Whilst I understand this is their rules, it's really made me rethink what a complete and utter joke it is now.

Rant over

- Josh

Update:

Thanks for all your replies.

I think the most hilarious part for me is they're giving me these sanctions for 7 days because they're worried I'm trying to "circumvent their system", whereby if I actually did sell the item outside of eBay (I didn't), I would have saved £1. Now because I can't buy or sell for 7 days, they're going to lose more than that

For those of you who say it's the rules and why should I be any different, I don't expect any special treatment. I'm just highlighting my opinion on those rules and I think they're ridiculous.

For the record, the item was a computer monitor listed for collection only anyways and here is eBay's response:

"Basically, we don't advise to arrange viewing items before buying even if potential buyers want it.If seller or buyer prefers to check the items first, sellers have an option to list items as a classified ads format.

We encourage sellers describe their listings as accurate and as detailed as possible so that buyers will have an confirmed decision to buy items without seeing the item in person. Please be reminded that eBay is an online market."
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
They want their fees💰💰
21 Comments
They want their fees💰💰
That's what the rules are, with all due respect why should it be any different for you? Like they said, if you want to sell an item that potential buyers can come and look at first why not just put it on Gumtree?
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 8th Oct
After the 7 days, inform eBay you are restricting your use of their joke system for 7 days, or better still: indefinitely.
AndyRoyd08/10/2019 00:48

After the 7 days, inform eBay you are restricting your use of their joke …After the 7 days, inform eBay you are restricting your use of their joke system for 7 days, or better still: indefinitely.

Baby insanity Wolf meme time

38625256-q9EDY.jpg
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 8th Oct
That’s the oldest scam in the book, advertise something then cancel the listing when someone offers you cash.

It’s a breach of terms and conditions too.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 8th Oct
Not exactly private messages, are they?
Seems like your a little upset, it’s ebay and only 7 days. What about Facebook market place or gumtree to sell on....

did the potential buyer buy the item? If they did, did you pay ebay their fees or would you have? That’s why there are rules
So, they expect people to buy cars without looking at them first?
Just proves that they monitor any messages sent.
It has got more and more ridiculous, originally as a bidder, you could see the bidders ebay names and clicking on them you could see what they'd bid on before and guess whether they were likely to make a list minute bid or whether they had bid on other similar items , it was quite exciting really.
jasee08/10/2019 07:36

It has got more and more ridiculous, originally as a bidder, you could see …It has got more and more ridiculous, originally as a bidder, you could see the bidders ebay names and clicking on them you could see what they'd bid on before and guess whether they were likely to make a list minute bid or whether they had bid on other similar items , it was quite exciting really.

The excitement now is buying or selling and waiting to see how they are going to try and scam you.
Ringfinger08/10/2019 07:48

The excitement now is buying or selling and waiting to see how they are …The excitement now is buying or selling and waiting to see how they are going to try and scam you.

Unfortunately there are far fewer auctions, they were exciting.
They = the bidders ?
I generally gave up Ebay because the buyers had the most ridiculous reasons for not paying full price and if you didn't give them some sort of refund they'd give you negative feedback which was instant death for months
You got off lightly, a 7 day ban for a clear beach of their rules is a gentle slap on their wrist.
Thanks for all your replies.

I think the most hilarious part for me is they're giving me these sanctions for 7 days because they're worried I'm trying to "circumvent their system", whereby if I actually did sell the item outside of eBay (I didn't), I would have saved £1. Now because I can't buy or sell for 7 days, they're going to lose more than that

For those of you who say it's the rules and why should I be any different, I don't expect any special treatment. I'm just highlighting my opinion on those rules and I think they're ridiculous.

For the record, the item was a computer monitor listed for collection only anyways and here is eBay's response:

"Basically, we don't advise to arrange viewing items before buying even if potential buyers want it.If seller or buyer prefers to check the items first, sellers have an option to list items as a classified ads format.

We encourage sellers describe their listings as accurate and as detailed as possible so that buyers will have an confirmed decision to buy items without seeing the item in person. Please be reminded that eBay is an online market."
deals6907/10/2019 23:44

They want their fees💰💰

They do, but now because I can't buy or sell for 7 days so they're going to lose out as well

Bargainhead08/10/2019 06:16

Seems like your a little upset, it’s ebay and only 7 days. What about F …Seems like your a little upset, it’s ebay and only 7 days. What about Facebook market place or gumtree to sell on....did the potential buyer buy the item? If they did, did you pay ebay their fees or would you have? That’s why there are rules

Yeah, I was a little however I made this post more to see what others thought and to discuss.

The buyer didn't buy the item, I didn't circumvent their system.
Edited by: "joshp" 8th Oct
Exactly the same happened to me last month but they also charged me £21 fvf. I gave my address for a potential buyer to come view and they didn’t turn up. eBay is getting a total joke
kirstie280608/10/2019 15:48

Exactly the same happened to me last month but they also charged me £21 …Exactly the same happened to me last month but they also charged me £21 fvf. I gave my address for a potential buyer to come view and they didn’t turn up. eBay is getting a total joke

Ouch, that's a joke. If I want to buy an item locally such as a camera, monitor, bike ect. I 100% want to view the item before committing to purchase. I don't feel that's too much to ask but obviously eBay are worried about losing out on a few pennies.
chocci08/10/2019 07:07

So, they expect people to buy cars without looking at them first?

I did, traveled 150 miles each way too for it took a gamble and it paid off, however the seller did say if it wasn't as described he would be happy to relist and he paid for my train fare too upfront with extra to cover return journey if needed on the agreement I would re-imburse him if I bought the car so he took a gamble on me turning up.
can always spell out your phone number to disguise it with private messages

Oh se7en nein ate for tree........ etc.....
u66454109/10/2019 13:33

can always spell out your phone number to disguise it with private …can always spell out your phone number to disguise it with private messagesOh se7en nein ate for tree........ etc.....

Can verify this works ^^^
u66454109/10/2019 13:33

can always spell out your phone number to disguise it with private …can always spell out your phone number to disguise it with private messagesOh se7en nein ate for tree........ etc.....

deeky09/10/2019 16:20

Can verify this works ^^^

Haha, can't quite tell if you guys are being serious

Either way, guess I'll still to low value items only which need posting. Anything high value or which is best viewed first will be advertised elsewhere in future.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants