Ebay account hacked/highjacked????

Found 12th Feb
Hi, my mate and I where sitting in our local club last night having a couple of pints, when the ebay till notification on his phone went off, first of all just once and then continuously for about five minutes, to which he commented that he wasn't selling any items, when accessing his account to his suprise he had over 100 items listed, which where all classic cars and motorbikes and all starting at £3, after a few bids on a couple of items he had bids in excess of £11,000, also had somebody send him a question asking how many wheels did the item have and would he accept 2 mars bars. Fed up with the constant till ringing he shut his phone down for awhile, when starting phone again later he went on to ebay but was prompted to log in again, which we thought strange as ebay doesn't normally log you out unless you log out yourself or due to an extended time of inactivity, he immediately phoned ebay customer services "which turned out to be in the Philippines" to report the incident, they suspended his account and it is being investigated. But prior to his account being suspended, all the items had already disappeared, and he was back to having zero items for sale "so what was the point of this, unless to try and get his details via log in". Has this ever happened to anybody or anybody you know, and was there ever a reasonable explanation given by ebay to this obvious but quite elaborate scam.
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
I had my account hijacked by someone selling clothes. I had dozens of messages from people who had apparently paid for something and not received it.
Contact eBay ASAP and get their assistance.
The point is they hack your eBay, sell bogus stuff, get the funds in a bogus or hacked PayPal account and leave the bonafide account holders to pick up the pieces. Your mate should change his passwords on his email and his ebay and PayPal accounts and other accounts that have same/similar passwords.
My eBay account was hacked, they detected it and cancelled the sales and restored all feedback and reset everything. Thankfully I never linked my PayPal account and always kept a separate password. That was never compromised.

eBay from the sound of it, is very easy to hack and it’s happened to a lot of people!!!!
cmdr_elito15 h, 16 m ago

My eBay account was hacked, they detected it and cancelled the sales and …My eBay account was hacked, they detected it and cancelled the sales and restored all feedback and reset everything. Thankfully I never linked my PayPal account and always kept a separate password. That was never compromised.eBay from the sound of it, is very easy to hack and it’s happened to a lot of people!!!!

It's only easy to "hack" if people use easy or obvious passwords and are not careful with their data.

Happens to a lot of people because a lot of people do the above, I think you'll find it actually happens to a very small percentage of people who use eBay.

200 people a day would be a lot but not a lot when you see how many people use eBay to buy and sell on a daily basis
dataload7 h, 27 m ago

It's only easy to "hack" if people use easy or obvious passwords and are …It's only easy to "hack" if people use easy or obvious passwords and are not careful with their data.Happens to a lot of people because a lot of people do the above, I think you'll find it actually happens to a very small percentage of people who use eBay.200 people a day would be a lot but not a lot when you see how many people use eBay to buy and sell on a daily basis

My password was a good mix of uppercase and lower case and numbers and only used that password on eBay no where else. I never click links in emails especially from eBay or PayPal. There were no nasties on my computer and no other sites I use on a much more frequent basis compromised. I have two factor attached to my email account. It was clearly something wrong with their security.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions