Groups

eBay Advice

Hi, so new user signs up today and buys a digital game code from me. Before sending it, I did some checks and the address and number he's used is of a London nightclub...

If I send it, and it turns out he's a fraudster, will I be covered with it being a digital item?

Thanks

12 Comments

nope just had a similar thing with a live code ,even after ebay telling me that they believed the account was compromised

Hightly doubtful - ignore and relist do not take the chance or try selling on here.
    Edited by: "copycatuk" 1st Nov 2016

eBay is not really a good place to sell digital codes. Even if you send a tangible card via recorded delivery, all it would prove to eBay is that the buyer received the card, you can't really prove the code has not been used before unless it's a hidden code like a scratch card. Even then, they will still favour the buyer and he can get a refund from you by claiming the code has not worked. It's all a matter of trust and in your case, the guy sounds dodgy, so I would avoid

You are not covered, I'm all for giving new members a chance but under the circumstances it sounds kinda dodgy.

I sold Battlefield 1 on ebay, got a bad vibe from the buyer and asked for payment via paypal gift as apposed via normal paypal checkout. Buyer kicked off and left bad feedback. Ebay investigated and it was a scammer, bad feedback removed after over a week. I should mention that, the person who was second highest bidder was happy to send payment via paypal gift and sold it for a discounted £45.
    Edited by: "ontheqt" 1st Nov 2016

Original Poster

The thing is, he's paid! So do I refund them?

superfreddy

Personally I'd refund then sell the code on here.

More and more scammers on eBay is the reason I avoid at all costs now, as a seller anyway.

Theres a good chance the buyer will raise a claim and say the codes been used, you would lose the case and he would get a refund anyway.

BUT, theres a slim chance he's genuine and all will be okay, there are genuine buyers on eBay still, albeit getting fewer by the day it seems.

You aren't covered for new users or those as old as the ark.

Original Poster

Am I not just refunding money back to an account someone has taken over though?

superfreddy

Am I not just refunding money back to an account someone has taken over … Am I not just refunding money back to an account someone has taken over though?

Taken over? It is a new eBay account right? So they have likely just created it.

You need to refund them if you want to cancel.

superfreddy

Cancel the order , they will get refunded

tell them some one you know used ypur code by accident and refundthen re-list of type not sure about all this.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and univers…11
      2. Cheapest way to call landline, UK to Ireland78
      3. Any now tv entertainment offers going on???11
      4. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?914

See more discussions