eBay advice

Found 1st Nov 2017
I was selling an iPad Air 2 with crack screen, clearly advertised as such. Yesterday someone made an offer which I accepted, they paid and I posted it off. This morning, they messaged me on eBay saying they didn’t realise the screen was cracked after reading the advert again and they’ll post the item back once they have received it.

Do I have any options here other than to refund in full? There’s no misrepresentation here, it was sold as seen. And I’ll no doubt have to pay eBay fees for selling a relatively expensive item now, so I’ll be out of pocket. I haven’t replied to the buyer yet as I wanted some advice before doing so. Thanks all!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
farmlama13 m ago

Did the listing say you accept returns? If not then you don't need to …Did the listing say you accept returns? If not then you don't need to accept it back.

Nonsense
25 Comments
Ask them to open a returns case. That way you get your eBay fees back and don't get a defect. Tell them to open in for the reason 'no longer needed or doesn't fit'. They will have to pay postage, eBay will supply them a prepaid label and charge their account if they want to use a tracked service. When it comes back, refund (in full) through the case and your fees will be returned.

You will be out of pocket for the postage you paid to send it and 20p transaction fee on Paypal.

BTW "sold as seen" is exactly that - as seen. As the buyer hasn't seen it, this isn't a sold as seen sale!
Edited by: "windym" 1st Nov 2017
Original Poster
Thanks for the quick response. I get your point as sold as seen, the point I was trying to make was that the buyer was getting exactly as was in the photos, which clearly shows the cracked screen in full magnified view... I’ll reply to the buyer now in any case, thanks again
Did the listing say you accept returns? If not then you don't need to accept it back.
farmlama13 m ago

Did the listing say you accept returns? If not then you don't need to …Did the listing say you accept returns? If not then you don't need to accept it back.

Nonsense
It may not have been the buyer's fault but more the way eBay show the listing. Sometimes on the App you just get a few lines and the photo. You have to click through to get the full description. If eBay picked the wrong lines of text it could have not indicated the crack in the screen.

Once you've purchased the email notification gives you the full details. PITA.
Possibly a genuine mistake, it's probably better to just offer a full refund, you could suggest a partial refund minus postage costs then you wouldn't be out of pocket. If they opened a dispute they would probably win because eBay almost always side with the buyer.
To avoid all dramas - full refund minus all the money you spent (postage, packaging)
Obviously don't refund until you have received the item back. Ask the buyer if they will send it signed for postage (extra £1.10-£1.20). Offer to pay for that if it will save any negative feedback or your item not showing up. Good luck
.MUFC.7 h, 36 m ago

Possibly a genuine mistake, it's probably better to just offer a full …Possibly a genuine mistake, it's probably better to just offer a full refund, you could suggest a partial refund minus postage costs then you wouldn't be out of pocket. If they opened a dispute they would probably win because eBay almost always side with the buyer.

Nope... If he clearly said it had a cracked screen it's just buyer's remorse. Not OP's problem what the buyer read or didn't read.

If he wanted to be difficult, he could just let the buyer open a case and seller would win as it wasn't misdescribed.
I won a case against a buyer who was claiming item not as described so if you are not in the wrong you won't lose.
I'd get the buyer to return it at their cost via eBay return process.
hearts226 m ago

Nope... If he clearly said it had a cracked screen it's just buyer's …Nope... If he clearly said it had a cracked screen it's just buyer's remorse. Not OP's problem what the buyer read or didn't read. If he wanted to be difficult, he could just let the buyer open a case and seller would win as it wasn't misdescribed. I won a case against a buyer who was claiming item not as described so if you are not in the wrong you won't lose.I'd get the buyer to return it at their cost via eBay return process.

Problem arrises when buyer claims there are undescribed faults, suddenly there is other damage etc. Then they could leave negative feedback etc. I'd rather receive it back in the condition it was sent because there is still resale value etc. There are some very malicious buyers out there with little morals.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 1st Nov 2017
windym8 h, 16 m ago

It may not have been the buyer's fault but more the way eBay show the …It may not have been the buyer's fault but more the way eBay show the listing. Sometimes on the App you just get a few lines and the photo. You have to click through to get the full description. If eBay picked the wrong lines of text it could have not indicated the crack in the screen.Once you've purchased the email notification gives you the full details. PITA.

If I was buying something like an iPad I would make sure I read everything properly and not just the seller's notes and in any case it's not the seller's problem what the buyer reads or doesn't read...
I had a buyer purchase my Apple Watch clearly advertised in the title of the listing as a 38mm model.
Buyer then claimed they didn't see it wasnt the 42mm... I accepted the cancellation of the transaction but I was pretty annoyed as it was clearly an excuse.
.MUFC.7 m ago

Problem arrises when buyer claims there are undescribed faults, suddenly …Problem arrises when buyer claims there are undescribed faults, suddenly there is other damage etc. Then they could leave negative feedback etc. I'd rather receive it back in the condition it was sent because there is still resale value etc. There are some very malicious buyers out there with little morals.

I see but he's got messages where the buyer clearly outlines what the issue is and it isn't about undescribed faults. Buyer can't make up faults after because seller didn't accept an unfair return...
Even eBay wouldn't side with the buyer in this instance. They're not idiots.

They can't leave a negative if a case is opened and seller wins it. Personal experience :D.
Edited by: "hearts22" 1st Nov 2017
hearts225 m ago

I see but he's got messages where the buyer clearly outlines what the …I see but he's got messages where the buyer clearly outlines what the issue is and it isn't about undescribed faults. Buyer can't make up faults after because seller didn't accept an unfair return... Even eBay wouldn't side with the buyer in this instance. They're not idiots.

That's irrelevant because it had only just been dispatched, The buyer in this case could still suggest there are other undescribed faults. I've seen people scammed in this way, Admittedly it's buyers word against the sellers in this case and eBay nearly always side with the buyer. You're gambling that you're dealing with reasonable buyer.
.MUFC.10 m ago

That's irrelevant because it had only just been dispatched, The buyer in …That's irrelevant because it had only just been dispatched, The buyer in this case could still suggest there are other undescribed faults. I've seen people scammed in this way, Admittedly it's buyers word against the sellers in this case and eBay nearly always side with the buyer. You're gambling that you're dealing with reasonable buyer.

Like I said, best way is to get the buyer to return at their cost using eBay process.

It's clearly a case of the buyer realising it's not cheap to replace screen or something like that and claiming they didn't read well... There were pictures of the cracked screen... Can't believe the story he didn't realise this as one of the first things people look at are the pics lol.

I still think if the seller insisted that it was just buyer's remorse, even if the buyer later made up other faults, he would win.
Sellers always back off because they're too scared a buyer is omnipotent lol

I won my case involving a faulty iPhone because I didn't give in as I knew I wasnt ripping off anyone and could prove there was no misdescription.
hearts2222 m ago

Like I said, best way is to get the buyer to return at their cost using …Like I said, best way is to get the buyer to return at their cost using eBay process.It's clearly a case of the buyer realising it's not cheap to replace screen or something like that and claiming they didn't read well... There were pictures of the cracked screen... Can't believe the story he didn't realise this as one of the first things people look at are the pics lol.I still think if the seller insisted that it was just buyer's remorse, even if the buyer later made up other faults, he would win. Sellers always back off because they're too scared a buyer is omnipotent lolI won my case involving a faulty iPhone because I didn't give in as I knew I wasnt ripping off anyone and could prove there was no misdescription.

None of us know what the buyer saw or didn't see. The easiest option for the OP is to accept the return and let the buyer return the item.

There's no need for any "insisting on buyers remorse" or "making up other faults". By the sounds of it, the buyer has been upfront in realising their error, if a little tardy. But at least they haven't opened a case for SNAD and force the seller to fund the return.
windym14 m ago

But at least they haven't opened a case for SNAD and force the seller to …But at least they haven't opened a case for SNAD and force the seller to fund the return.

They can't force anyone
If there was no misdescription it's not an automatic win for the buyer... You all seem to think that a buyer will win regardless.
It's especially because the buyer was upfront with what the issue was that it would be difficult for them to come out with newly found faults conveniently when the seller doesn't accept a return...
I'll also add that if the return is opened because of a mere change of mind then the seller is not forced to accept it, unless they are a business seller...
Don't be naive... who buys stuff without even looking at the pics and the description of what they're buying ... the seller put pics up and declared it in the listing that the screen was cracked lol.
It's clearly an excuse or the guy is genuinely not very "you can imagine what" and it is purely their fault. It's not the seller's problem if they misread or whatever.
Accepting a return in this case is just courtesy, not an obligation. It's the easiest option but the buyers then keep getting away with nonsense like this.
Stop thinking the buyers can hold you to ransom and do whatever they want.
hearts2231 m ago

They can't force anyone If there was no misdescription it's not …They can't force anyone If there was no misdescription it's not an automatic win for the buyer... You all seem to think that a buyer will win regardless. It's especially because the buyer was upfront with what the issue was that it would be difficult for them to come out with newly found faults conveniently when the seller doesn't accept a return...I'll also add that if the return is opened because of a mere change of mind then the seller is not forced to accept it, unless they are a business seller...Don't be naive... who buys stuff without even looking at the pics and the description of what they're buying ... the seller put pics up and declared it in the listing that the screen was cracked lol. It's clearly an excuse or the guy is genuinely not very "you can imagine what" and it is purely their fault. It's not the seller's problem if they misread or whatever. Accepting a return in this case is just courtesy, not an obligation. It's the easiest option but the buyers then keep getting away with nonsense like this.Stop thinking the buyers can hold you to ransom and do whatever they want.

You were clearly lucky in your case, like I've suggested if they claimed there were other faults eBay would most certainly side with the buyer. I understand what you're saying and if the buyer didn't suggest other faults then yes they would probably side with the seller. I've seen that happen many times.
.MUFC.17 m ago

You were clearly lucky in your case, like I've suggested if they claimed …You were clearly lucky in your case, like I've suggested if they claimed there were other faults eBay would most certainly side with the buyer. I understand what you're saying and if the buyer didn't suggest other faults then yes they would probably side with the seller. I've seen that happen many times.

Not lucky... I refused the return because I was sure I would win as I had also specified that there could be unlisted faults and I will give you all tips... If the buyer alters the item (opens it up and takes out or replaces parts... if we're talking about phones, tablets and the likes) and then wants to return it for whatever reason (item not as described included), eBay will side with the seller and they won't have to take it back.
All you have to do is get the buyer to say that and you have all you need to win easy.

OP, at least make the buyer pay for the return. Let them open a return case and choose the appropriate reason so that it's at their cost! Refund only when you get it back.
I would give eBay a call, 0800 358 6551, and explain the situation, they will see messages which have been exchanged and advise the best course of action.

I've called them a couple of times over the years with issues and always been helpful.
hearts221 h, 16 m ago

They can't force anyone If there was no misdescription it's not …They can't force anyone If there was no misdescription it's not an automatic win for the buyer... You all seem to think that a buyer will win regardless. It's especially because the buyer was upfront with what the issue was that it would be difficult for them to come out with newly found faults conveniently when the seller doesn't accept a return...I'll also add that if the return is opened because of a mere change of mind then the seller is not forced to accept it, unless they are a business seller...Don't be naive... who buys stuff without even looking at the pics and the description of what they're buying ... the seller put pics up and declared it in the listing that the screen was cracked lol. It's clearly an excuse or the guy is genuinely not very "you can imagine what" and it is purely their fault. It's not the seller's problem if they misread or whatever. Accepting a return in this case is just courtesy, not an obligation. It's the easiest option but the buyers then keep getting away with nonsense like this.Stop thinking the buyers can hold you to ransom and do whatever they want.

They can force and they do. You clearly haven't been around eBay long enough to see it first hand. I have two VAT registered companies and have seen it all unfortunately.

As for your comment on returns - it's not "business sellers" that need to accept returns, it's anyone who has listed saying they do. Regardless of being a private seller or not. The peril is, if you don't accept returns as a private seller, the likelihood is the buyer will open a SNAD anyway.

I'm not sure why you think everyone is at odds with you, I think others have given the same advice to accept the return. You seem to be labouring a point that isn't there. Did you read my original response?
windym21 m ago

They can force and they do. You clearly haven't been around eBay long …They can force and they do. You clearly haven't been around eBay long enough to see it first hand. I have two VAT registered companies and have seen it all unfortunately. As for your comment on returns - it's not "business sellers" that need to accept returns, it's anyone who has listed saying they do. Regardless of being a private seller or not. The peril is, if you don't accept returns as a private seller, the likelihood is the buyer will open a SNAD anyway. I'm not sure why you think everyone is at odds with you, I think others have given the same advice to accept the return. You seem to be labouring a point that isn't there. Did you read my original response?

If you don't want to accept you don't accept but you will just have to go without eBay and paypal forever if you lose the case and don't want to refund... I'm talking about private sellers obviously. A business one is different.
Are they gonna hold a gun to your head and make you accept a return? I don't think so. Business sellers have a lot to lose financially so it's different, like I said.
I've been on eBay for years so I am not a newbie.

Yep, and it's a default setting not to accept returns for private sellers so I doubt OP changed it. I am fairly sure he didn't put he accepted returns...

I was just arguing because you automatically give in to the buyer because otherwise "they'll open a SNAD" and presumably win 100%. Let them open it lol.
It depends on the listing and how well the description is worded. If you're confident that you listed everything properly, then why should you be held to ransom in this way?
I also said there are cases where, for example, no matter how misdescribed the item was initially, if the item was subsequently altered by the buyer, you don't have to take it back... eBay told me alteration is a reason why a return can be refused successfully.
I advised OP to accept a return because fighting the buyer is not for the faint of heart I guess lol.
hearts2253 m ago

Not lucky... I refused the return because I was sure I would win as I had …Not lucky... I refused the return because I was sure I would win as I had also specified that there could be unlisted faults and I will give you all tips... If the buyer alters the item (opens it up and takes out or replaces parts... if we're talking about phones, tablets and the likes) and then wants to return it for whatever reason (item not as described included), eBay will side with the seller and they won't have to take it back. All you have to do is get the buyer to say that and you have all you need to win easy. OP, at least make the buyer pay for the return. Let them open a return case and choose the appropriate reason so that it's at their cost! Refund only when you get it back.

Your wording probably had you covered, however I'd assume the ops doesn't state that it could have other faults etc.. in that case eBay would probably side with the buyer. That is the normal process in similar cases.
.MUFC.12 m ago

Your wording probably had you covered, however I'd assume the ops doesn't …Your wording probably had you covered, however I'd assume the ops doesn't state that it could have other faults etc.. in that case eBay would probably side with the buyer. That is the normal process in similar cases.

Yeah, so I never suggested that he actually refuses.
I was just saying that accepting blindly isn't the only option for a seller.
If they refuse a return, buyer will open a case maybe but they won't win automatically all the time. There seems to be this belief that you can't do anything at all against buyers and it just annoys me.
Anyway, I've done enough arguing
hearts224 m ago

Yeah, so I never suggested that he actually refuses. I was just saying …Yeah, so I never suggested that he actually refuses. I was just saying that accepting blindly isn't the only option for a seller. If they refusea return, buyer will open a case maybe but they won't win automatically all the time. There seems to be this belief that you can't do anything at all against buyers and it just annoys me. Anyway, I've done enough arguing

That I agree with.
Original Poster
So here's an update... I told him to open a case with ebay and return the ipad, once done so, i'll refund him. He agreed to this. I heard nothing for 3/4 days, then he messaged to say he's decided to keep it. All sorted, or so I thought.

Nearly a week later, I get another message. Saying that he's seeking advice from ebay, as it'll cost him £280 to repair, on top of what he's paid me for the ipad, he's not happy at all. But his english isn't great, so i'm not sure if he means he's paid it or he needs to pay it? But the highest quote I had to repair was £180...? So it could be that he's had it repaired?

I was a bit confused as to what he wanted from me? I said I was happy to refund him if he raised a case? This last message from him was 4/5 days ago and not heard back since. All very odd!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants