Expired

eBay advice

Found 8th Mar
I sold a pair of skateboard trucks, wheels and bearings.
These were used for a few months so of course signs of wear.

Before selling them, I spent hours fixing the threads with a rethread tool. Placed new bolts on them (small signs of wear on the bolts).

January 28th I sold them and shipped them to a buyer. He emailed me this morning saying that the threads were damaged and he hadn't used the item.

Never had this issue before. So far communication is polite, I've asked for photos to see if I can work out if they've been skated or not (got feeling his caused damage to the bolts and trying it in).

If this doesn't get solved via messages, does he have any place with eBay stepping in and forcing me to accept a returns?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
If he opens a case you'll have the option to either work it out, give him a partial refund or accept the return. If you don't work it out ebay will step in and the majority of the time will side with the buyer.
Original Poster
Robot_Rooster5 m ago

If he opens a case you'll have the option to either work it out, give him …If he opens a case you'll have the option to either work it out, give him a partial refund or accept the return. If you don't work it out ebay will step in and the majority of the time will side with the buyer.

Ah ok, just hoping he won't be a pain and accept nothing but a refund.

Is there a cut off period when it's too late to open a case ?(for future purchases).
kos1c3 m ago

Ah ok, just hoping he won't be a pain and accept nothing but a refund. Is …Ah ok, just hoping he won't be a pain and accept nothing but a refund. Is there a cut off period when it's too late to open a case ?(for future purchases).

180 days now
kos1c4 m ago

Ah ok, just hoping he won't be a pain and accept nothing but a refund. Is …Ah ok, just hoping he won't be a pain and accept nothing but a refund. Is there a cut off period when it's too late to open a case ?(for future purchases).

Its usually a month. But you can open a case in paypal upto 180 days later.
Original Poster
mattmerch20 m ago

180 days now

Thanks for the information. Could've saved me some trouble a while back. I let the matter go in the bin along with the product.
Amazed that you had to rethread after just a few month use

Think you need to ask him what you can do to help, to see what he wants
They're a cold formed thread made by a thread rolling machine. You ran a cutting die across them stripping the thread and thus weaken it. It's not a good idea to use cutting dies on formed threads unless the part isn't critical.
God I hate eBay
I would think the key point here is whether you said in the listing that they had been re-threaded. If he knew, then it is caveat emptor and you should stick to your guns. If not, refund and put it down to experience.
Original Poster
qwales3 h, 19 m ago

Amazed that you had to rethread after just a few month useThink you need …Amazed that you had to rethread after just a few month useThink you need to ask him what you can do to help, to see what he wants

It was more the ends were messed up (landing primo/rail). So rethread the whole end seems the best bet.

It was a reflex skate tool which has a built in rethread. So it's the right size, and fresh bolts. I'm just curious as to why I had no issue to placing the bolts back on to "they are cross threaded and I can't get the bolts on at all."
(His words)

Was thinking of asking him that. I got a bag of brand new bolts, so will offer him a handful of those of he wants to try fix the problem his end.

Or last resort I take the trucks back and learn from it.
But deep down I got this feeling his fibbing about not using them.
Edited by: "kos1c" 8th Mar
Original Poster
airbus3301 h, 39 m ago

I would think the key point here is whether you said in the listing that …I would think the key point here is whether you said in the listing that they had been re-threaded. If he knew, then it is caveat emptor and you should stick to your guns. If not, refund and put it down to experience.

Sadly I didn't think that would be an issue. I spent over a week fixing the threading issue (the tops were so badly knocked in I had to saw, craft blade and use pliers to spread the top thread to get a tool onto it). Was more of 20minutes a time thing.

Then made sure the bolts went on with no issue. Removed and replaced a few times.
Then took the wheels off changed the bearings up (as they were brand new 2 week old set) and replaced with my current ones. Then listed on eBay.

If I had no issue with the trucks, I'm shocked he has had issues of them sitting collecting dust for 5 weeks.

I'll see what he wants to do about it after I see the photos of the trucks and bolts. If there is wear to the bolts then his used them. If not, then I'll see what he wants me to do about solving the matter and lastly refund.
Original Poster
kester763 h, 10 m ago

They're a cold formed thread made by a thread rolling machine. You ran a …They're a cold formed thread made by a thread rolling machine. You ran a cutting die across them stripping the thread and thus weaken it. It's not a good idea to use cutting dies on formed threads unless the part isn't critical.

Did reply to another user above. It was the ends that were damaged. So I had to cut threads into it to get a bolt back on.

The new threads were clean and didn't show me any issues with multiple removals of a bolt then switching bearings and re-tightening.

My honest opinion, there's no chance all 4 truck ends were damaged in transit. The only way would be from someone riding the board and landing on its side (primo/rail).

In my 15 years of skating this hasn't happened to me. I've re-threaded trucks in the past and not had a phantom come by and cross thread them during a 5 week period of not using them.
Edited by: "kos1c" 8th Mar
kos1c30 m ago

Did reply to another user above. It was the ends that were damaged. So I …Did reply to another user above. It was the ends that were damaged. So I had to cut threads into it to get a bolt back on. The new threads were clean and didn't show me any issues with multiple removals of a bolt then switching bearings and re-tightening. My honest opinion, there's no chance all 4 truck ends were damaged in transit. The only way would be from someone riding the board and landing on its side (primo/rail).In my 15 years of skating this hasn't happened to me. I've re-threaded trucks in the past and not had a phantom come by and cross thread them during a 5 week period of not using them.

Not sure but I would say he has either used a different nut and cross threaded it or damaged it. I assume you chamfered a 45 degree on the fresh edge of the bolt to give it a good lead in to the thread. I always assumed you used new nylon lock nuts to prevent the nut coming lose. I guess it depends on how you treat your gear, if you're gently putting your wheels on vs some savage hammering it on using concrete.
Original Poster
kester7633 m ago

Not sure but I would say he has either used a different nut and cross …Not sure but I would say he has either used a different nut and cross threaded it or damaged it. I assume you chamfered a 45 degree on the fresh edge of the bolt to give it a good lead in to the thread. I always assumed you used new nylon lock nuts to prevent the nut coming lose. I guess it depends on how you treat your gear, if you're gently putting your wheels on vs some savage hammering it on using concrete.

I didn't chamfer the edge of the bolt.

I used the same nylon locking nut that fit a skateboard. My eBay purchase list doesn't go back far enough to get the measurements of the bolts I purchased. But I researched into the correct bolts.

For looking after it. I'm gentle with my gear as I want my bolts to go back on during a bearing change.

Ruined threads will happen from landing primo during flip tricks.
I've done the hammer on and glue technique in the past. Not my proudest moment but it worked.
Even changed decks with just a stone and an Allen key before.
Original Poster
ashmac5 h, 9 m ago

God I hate eBay

It has it's moments.
Sold some Vans authentic a while back. Guy messaged me saying they were fake, I asked him what he meant and to show me photos of what he claimed was fake.
He replied complaining but no photo, told him I wasn't willing to accept a refund till he can prove the item is fake. As I'm not accepting a item he changed his mind on.

He claims he was wrong and they weren't fake. Then said they were sun damaged.
Again I asked for photos to see the damage as the photos I used were 2 days prior to the auction, then placed the shoes under the bed till sold 10 days later.

Again no photos and was told "I don't want the hassle. But at least you could've cleaned the shoes before sending!"

The shoes were as clean as you'd expect barely worn trainers to be.

Toxic buyers are a waste of time. -_-
The problem with eBay is that buyers and sellers expectations are often very different and this leads to the problems we have all experienced. I've been selling on ebay for many years and work on the basis that my description of the item downplays the pluses and is exact about the minuses. Detailed quality photos help too. I'm really sorry to say that on the basis of what you have said above about the item, your easiest out is to refund, even though it is clear that you acted in good faith. I suspect that eBay will side with the buyer if it goes down the dispute route, as is often the case.
Robot_Rooster16 h, 7 m ago

If he opens a case you'll have the option to either work it out, give him …If he opens a case you'll have the option to either work it out, give him a partial refund or accept the return. If you don't work it out ebay will step in and the majority of the time will side with the buyer.

Ebay cases which can be escalated (for eBay to make a decision) must be opened within 30 days of delivery (or latest estimated delivery). If the delivery is over 30 days (as it is here) he can open a case but it cannot be escalated and therefore eBay cannot force you to refund. The case can be closed and it will be closed in your favour.

Paypal cases can be opened for 180 days from purchase. Paypal cases are worth fighting as their reps do have to manually read the case notes. If the buyer wins the case, he has to pay for the return using an online trackable means.
Original Poster
windym4 h, 26 m ago

Ebay cases which can be escalated (for eBay to make a decision) must be …Ebay cases which can be escalated (for eBay to make a decision) must be opened within 30 days of delivery (or latest estimated delivery). If the delivery is over 30 days (as it is here) he can open a case but it cannot be escalated and therefore eBay cannot force you to refund. The case can be closed and it will be closed in your favour.Paypal cases can be opened for 180 days from purchase. Paypal cases are worth fighting as their reps do have to manually read the case notes. If the buyer wins the case, he has to pay for the return using an online trackable means.

Thanks for that.

Just waiting on the buyer to follow up from their email yday.
Original Poster
So far not had a reply from the buyer.

His 2nd response was he'd send a photo later that night.

I replied with, on the lines
Thank you, I'll await the photos.
I'm still rather surprised that those trucks were damaged. As I spent a lot of time fixing the threads.

Could you send a photo of the bolts top and bottom as well. They were brand new bolts when placed on the trucks.

Also added a photo off the rethread tool (reflex T tool, skate tool).

So far, either the buyer is busy or was trying it on.

Im thinking the latter.
We all love eBay!! I recently sold a PS4 game, packaged it up in a box, extremley well i must say & sent it via UPS. Buyer receives it and instantly sends me a picture claiming he's received a completely different item, an item i've never ever seen in my life and of course, alot less valuable. I asked him for photos of the packaging and low and behold, its my box, my shipping labels, my filler packing. Typical scammer, he's now opened an item received is not as described case and eBay are forcing me to fully refund. I know the drill as i've accumalated over 40k feedback on eBay over the years so i know i'm completely screwed. Bye bye my money
Original Poster
Shevchenko7 h, 3 m ago

We all love eBay!! I recently sold a PS4 game, packaged it up in a box, …We all love eBay!! I recently sold a PS4 game, packaged it up in a box, extremley well i must say & sent it via UPS. Buyer receives it and instantly sends me a picture claiming he's received a completely different item, an item i've never ever seen in my life and of course, alot less valuable. I asked him for photos of the packaging and low and behold, its my box, my shipping labels, my filler packing. Typical scammer, he's now opened an item received is not as described case and eBay are forcing me to fully refund. I know the drill as i've accumalated over 40k feedback on eBay over the years so i know i'm completely screwed. Bye bye my money

Man that is crazy, sorry to hear you're going to be out of that money.
Wouldn't be have to return this fake item back to you? If the weight doesn't add up, couldn't you use that as defence?

This past year I have felt less confident in eBay. I tend to try sell my more expensive stuff locally to save myself the hassle of bad buyers.
kos1c5 h, 16 m ago

Man that is crazy, sorry to hear you're going to be out of that money. …Man that is crazy, sorry to hear you're going to be out of that money. Wouldn't be have to return this fake item back to you? If the weight doesn't add up, couldn't you use that as defence?This past year I have felt less confident in eBay. I tend to try sell my more expensive stuff locally to save myself the hassle of bad buyers.

I sent it via the eBay shutl delivery programe so it automatically sets the package at 1kg. Doesn't matter regardless eBay will never believe me and will always side with the buyer no matter how hard i try. The effort required to resolve the issue is just to much so i won't bother, exactly what the scammers want but it really is one massive headache to get anywhere with eBay when you're a seller. The only cases i've ever won were item not received cases where i happened to have valid tracking information and even some of these were a struggle. As i say i've done thousands of transactions on eBay and the scammers are a really small percentage but unfortunately they do exist. I've found despite having thousands of feedback eBay will still believe a 10 feedback new seller over anything i say which is extremely sad despite the feedback and excellent level of service provided for many years.

I just warn people that never sell anything you aren't willing to lose or receive back damaged/broken because the buyer has all the rights unless you obtain unobtainable proof lol. As a seller i have to prove everything which just isn't happening, as i said previous selling accounty history is ignored. eBay don't care, you start to relaise very quickly you're fighting a losing battle. I do understand why people are starting to favour gumtree & facebook etc for selling and i'm highly considering jumping on the bandwagon.

In regards to your case, if the buyer has opened a case against you within 30 days after the expected delivery date he has all the rights. You will need to prove everything was working correctly when you sent it which you simply can't, pictures, videos etc mean nothing. Ebay told me and i quote "we can't guarantee that the item you sent is the one shown in your listing" So there you have it, you can't win. It's not possible and you will be forced to accept a return at your expense or partially refund but that is completely down to the buyer. If a buyer wants their (your) money back within 30 days they can have it.

I'd love to hear from any sellers who have managed to win cases like these without the buyers admitting or accidently messing up in some way because to date i haven't heard any.
Original Poster
Shevchenko17 m ago

I sent it via the eBay shutl delivery programe so it automatically sets …I sent it via the eBay shutl delivery programe so it automatically sets the package at 1kg. Doesn't matter regardless eBay will never believe me and will always side with the buyer no matter how hard i try. The effort required to resolve the issue is just to much so i won't bother, exactly what the scammers want but it really is one massive headache to get anywhere with eBay when you're a seller. The only cases i've ever won were item not received cases where i happened to have valid tracking information and even some of these were a struggle. As i say i've done thousands of transactions on eBay and the scammers are a really small percentage but unfortunately they do exist. I've found despite having thousands of feedback eBay will still believe a 10 feedback new seller over anything i say which is extremely sad despite the feedback and excellent level of service provided for many years.I just warn people that never sell anything you aren't willing to lose or receive back damaged/broken because the buyer has all the rights unless you obtain unobtainable proof lol. As a seller i have to prove everything which just isn't happening, as i said previous selling accounty history is ignored. eBay don't care, you start to relaise very quickly you're fighting a losing battle. I do understand why people are starting to favour gumtree & facebook etc for selling and i'm highly considering jumping on the bandwagon.In regards to your case, if the buyer has opened a case against you within 30 days after the expected delivery date he has all the rights. You will need to prove everything was working correctly when you sent it which you simply can't, pictures, videos etc mean nothing. Ebay told me and i quote "we can't guarantee that the item you sent is the one shown in your listing" So there you have it, you can't win. It's not possible and you will be forced to accept a return at your expense or partially refund but that is completely down to the buyer. If a buyer wants their (your) money back within 30 days they can have it. I'd love to hear from any sellers who have managed to win cases like these without the buyers admitting or accidently messing up in some way because to date i haven't heard any.

It is a shame that there are toxic buyers out there. I've been using eBay for years, but mainly as a buyer, since Hotukdeals closed the For Sale section I tried out eBay and made some good change from my old stuff. But I tend to sell consoles and phones on Shpock, gumtree and the likes, face to face transaction.

Only had 2 issues with selling being the one this topic is about and the other was the shoes I mentioned above.

No ticket has been opened against me, was a message about the skateboard trucks, but still 3 days later I've not had a 3rd reply, no photos or nothing. Really thinking it was a toxic seller trying to return a item he damaged.
Which would've annoyed me as I put in a lot of time fixing those trucks and ended up with cutting my hand when using pliers to split the thread, the pliers slipped and pinched a section of skin of my finger.
Would've been a lot of hassle for nothing if he ended up returning the trucks on my cost.
kos1c5 m ago

It is a shame that there are toxic buyers out there. I've been using eBay …It is a shame that there are toxic buyers out there. I've been using eBay for years, but mainly as a buyer, since Hotukdeals closed the For Sale section I tried out eBay and made some good change from my old stuff. But I tend to sell consoles and phones on Shpock, gumtree and the likes, face to face transaction. Only had 2 issues with selling being the one this topic is about and the other was the shoes I mentioned above. No ticket has been opened against me, was a message about the skateboard trucks, but still 3 days later I've not had a 3rd reply, no photos or nothing. Really thinking it was a toxic seller trying to return a item he damaged. Which would've annoyed me as I put in a lot of time fixing those trucks and ended up with cutting my hand when using pliers to split the thread, the pliers slipped and pinched a section of skin of my finger. Would've been a lot of hassle for nothing if he ended up returning the trucks on my cost.

Honestly if i were you I'd stop any contact with him unless he contacts you as you've already gone above and beyond to try and rectify the issue. Hopefully he won't contact you anymore and all will be well. Unfortunately for me eBay have forced me to accept a return and the buyer has sent something back at my cost. As weird as it sounds I'm kind of curious as to what I'm going to receive in return for my expensive game haha! I’ve had buyers claim items not received but this is taking the ****. I’ll be sure to keep you updated
Original Poster
Shevchenko20 m ago

Honestly if i were you I'd stop any contact with him unless he contacts …Honestly if i were you I'd stop any contact with him unless he contacts you as you've already gone above and beyond to try and rectify the issue. Hopefully he won't contact you anymore and all will be well. Unfortunately for me eBay have forced me to accept a return and the buyer has sent something back at my cost. As weird as it sounds I'm kind of curious as to what I'm going to receive in return for my expensive game haha! I’ve had buyers claim items not received but this is taking the ****. I’ll be sure to keep you updated

I've only received two replies and sent two responses.

Basically started as did I know item was damaged. My reply asking for photo, then got, sure will send some. Then my next reply asking to include photos of the bolts, and nothing since then.

I got a feeling this'll go away without any further action. But thought I'd ask for advice as I did feel it was some sort of dodgy behaviour happening which may go all the way to a forced return, and I wasn't sure where I stood. But think me asking for evidence may of scared that attempt off.
kos1c1 h, 37 m ago

I've only received two replies and sent two responses. Basically started …I've only received two replies and sent two responses. Basically started as did I know item was damaged. My reply asking for photo, then got, sure will send some. Then my next reply asking to include photos of the bolts, and nothing since then. I got a feeling this'll go away without any further action. But thought I'd ask for advice as I did feel it was some sort of dodgy behaviour happening which may go all the way to a forced return, and I wasn't sure where I stood. But think me asking for evidence may of scared that attempt off.

Yeah most likely, you done the right thing. It's always worth trying but if the buyer is persistent then you're basically screwed.
Original Poster
Shevchenko10th Mar

Yeah most likely, you done the right thing. It's always worth trying but …Yeah most likely, you done the right thing. It's always worth trying but if the buyer is persistent then you're basically screwed.

Seems in this case the buyer has given up.
When I asked for photos of the bolts as well (my 2nd reply). I also stated that they were brand new, I'm guessing that he now cannot send photos as they'd show they've been used. As a photo would expose his attempt to scam me.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions