Ebay advice

Posted 19th Feb
Hi all,
I recently sold an iPad via eBay. Received a message from the buyer claiming that the screen has a crack etc. And saying that he would want a refund of £250 so he could get the screen replaced by Apple. (I sold it to him for £350)... anyway kept on saying in his message that he doesn’t want to go through the hassle of an eBay/PayPal case, felt almost like threat to be honest with him saying he would leave negative feedback etc if not resolved...
Sent it via Royal Mail special delivery (item was packed in several layers of bubble wrap and card inserts)
What are my options? If there are any...

I’ve asked him to send pictures

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
This is tricky. I had a similar situation with a phone but I suspected the buyer was only trying to scam more money off the selling price. When I offered a full refund and return I never heard from him again. I would always go through the proper channels and don’t worry about negative feedback. First step is to check the photos.
You've got his address, turn up where he lives and ask to see the ipad.
Before you do anything ask him to confirm where the crack is, that way if he’s lying to scam you it’ll make it impossible for him to crack the screen exactly as he’s told you it’s already cracked. Hopefully stopping him smashes the screen on purpose if you ask for it back.
Hi Hassan77.

So sorry to hear you're having issues. As soon as I read the thread title I thought "Here we go again!" It's getting far to common on here to be seeing these stories so it's worth reading a few similar threads to see how those cases ran their course. I would say @Eden0032 is a good plan of action but I'd also add that I would contact Ebay (as a 'concerned' seller) and point out the 'threatening' tone of the buyer and the fact that they are trying to avoid proper procedure which has potential "scam" elements. Get their advice on how to proceed. Yes, I know they may just quote the usual guff about requesting and processing a return label and then issue of refund on receipt but ask them "How can I protect myself against the buyer returning the package by altering the return address?"

You can only try whatever you can to determine whether someone is making a genuine claim or just trying it on. If not, the buyer wins immediately as they either get A) a partial refund from you (don't do that!) and they get money back AND your item. B) A full refund - and then do a "returns" scam (send you something else/another broken item/return to 'alternate' address - and get to keep your item. Ebay; as usual; side with them as they can see "tracked" evidence of a return.

This is yet another disappointing thread to read of someone seemingly scammed AGAIN on Ebay and I think; given the situation; you can only try all the tricks you can to "call their bluff" in the hope they back down? I have taken to security marking ANY item I sell. Photo that "mark" and then; in the event of a 'claim' by a buyer; point out that you have taken this step to protect against scams. When you get the item back and validate it IS the item sent - then a refund will apply. Many scammers will see this as a "flag" that you are 'woke' and back down.

I don't have any other tips as we all have our own procedures and others will criticize them as "pointless" or "meaningless" in a claim scenario but I still think it's better to try ALL you can to support your side of a case. Some members will (and have) attested to winning a case against a buyer so it isn't a lost cause yet!

Out of interest: Did you remember to take any serial number details from the iPad before you sent it so you can identify if the one that is returned (if one is returned!) is the one you sent?

Best of luck in getting a satisfactory resolution, OP. Fingers crossed!

Kind regards, Phsy.
20 Comments
Contact eBay by phone and follow ebays guidelines 100% they will always help you in the best way possible, if it was cracked in transit which I doubt, you can contact royal mail and get up to £500 compensation since next day tracked is insured for this.
How much feedback does this buyer have?
Tell him to send you pictures to prove it.
Do you have anyway to tell if the tablet is yours? Did you take note of the imei before posting?

Don't worry about feedback as contacting ebay, they can remove negative feedback for you. Honestly this guy sounds like a scammers. But not sure
This is tricky. I had a similar situation with a phone but I suspected the buyer was only trying to scam more money off the selling price. When I offered a full refund and return I never heard from him again. I would always go through the proper channels and don’t worry about negative feedback. First step is to check the photos.
Sorry to hear you're having to deal with this! Whilst I don't really any advice to offer, I'd follow the advice already given in the comments before this one. Please do let us know what happens in the end, I hope you get it sorted
Before you do anything ask him to confirm where the crack is, that way if he’s lying to scam you it’ll make it impossible for him to crack the screen exactly as he’s told you it’s already cracked. Hopefully stopping him smashes the screen on purpose if you ask for it back.
Offer full refund and go through eBay and PayPal, do not offer part refunds through the messaging service.
What I’ve feedback can be removed if left inappropriately bu the buyer. I would have a case opened and offer full refund straight away
1. Ask the buyer to take a photograph and send it to you via eBay message.

2. Tell the buyer that you will give a full refund UPON RECEIPT of the item (must be returned to you first).

3. Contact eBay if in doubt. If the item does come back to you and it does have the fault, be sure to contact Royal Mail and explain the issue that has occurred.
Eden003219/02/2020 12:19

1. Ask the buyer to take a photograph and send it to you via eBay …1. Ask the buyer to take a photograph and send it to you via eBay message.2. Tell the buyer that you will give a full refund UPON RECEIPT of the item (must be returned to you first).3. Contact eBay if in doubt. If the item does come back to you and it does have the fault, be sure to contact Royal Mail and explain the issue that has occurred.

Don’t ask for the photo until you’ve asked where damage is or he’ll just crack it there and then and send photo. Like I mentioned before ask how bad crack is and where and after he replies then ask for photo. It’s impossible to crack it exactly how he describes of its not already damaged.
In this case I wouldn’t even ask for pictures.

Just offer a full refund on return in ebay messages and leave it at that.

I wouldn’t even bother contacting ebay at this point as they’ll probably muddy the waters.

Under no circumstances would I give them a partial especially considering they’ve asked for it without any supporting evidence and they want to keep ebay out of the loop. If I received a broken iPad from an Ebay seller I’d want to return it for a full refund. This reeks of scam and there are some buyers on ebay who make a habit of moaning to extort a partial refund.

In the end you’ll have to refund, either voluntarily or PayPal will do it for you. Offer a full refund on return and see what happens.
The fact that he said he doesnt want to go through ebay paypal for an 'alleged' £350 faulty product, says everything!

Say your not willing to lose out and you can 100% claim for carriers for damage, but you can only do that once its back in your possesion, say that you only want to go through eBays correct and formal returns procedure. Either they return the item for a full refund or they get nothing.
nrackham7619/02/2020 12:18

Offer full refund and go through eBay and PayPal, do not offer part …Offer full refund and go through eBay and PayPal, do not offer part refunds through the messaging service. What I’ve feedback can be removed if left inappropriately bu the buyer. I would have a case opened and offer full refund straight away

No. stupid advice. Don't offer a full refund as he will likely smash it out of spite and send it back.

Get photos etc first before you do anything! Make 100% sure it is the SAME iPad and not a broken one he already had and is looking to switch.
Edited by: "BenjiMay" 19th Feb
You've got his address, turn up where he lives and ask to see the ipad.
toonsquirel19/02/2020 12:32

Don’t ask for the photo until you’ve asked where damage is or he’ll just cr …Don’t ask for the photo until you’ve asked where damage is or he’ll just crack it there and then and send photo. Like I mentioned before ask how bad crack is and where and after he replies then ask for photo. It’s impossible to crack it exactly how he describes of its not already damaged.

That won't stop them.. They could just find a cracked photo in google images, or photoshop a crack.
splatsplatsplat19/02/2020 12:54

That won't stop them.. They could just find a cracked photo in google …That won't stop them.. They could just find a cracked photo in google images, or photoshop a crack.

Yeah but then when he asks for it to be returned it has to be exactly the same as he has previously described and if he gets photo off internet or just makes up the crack he’ll never get a crack to be the same.
Hi Hassan77.

So sorry to hear you're having issues. As soon as I read the thread title I thought "Here we go again!" It's getting far to common on here to be seeing these stories so it's worth reading a few similar threads to see how those cases ran their course. I would say @Eden0032 is a good plan of action but I'd also add that I would contact Ebay (as a 'concerned' seller) and point out the 'threatening' tone of the buyer and the fact that they are trying to avoid proper procedure which has potential "scam" elements. Get their advice on how to proceed. Yes, I know they may just quote the usual guff about requesting and processing a return label and then issue of refund on receipt but ask them "How can I protect myself against the buyer returning the package by altering the return address?"

You can only try whatever you can to determine whether someone is making a genuine claim or just trying it on. If not, the buyer wins immediately as they either get A) a partial refund from you (don't do that!) and they get money back AND your item. B) A full refund - and then do a "returns" scam (send you something else/another broken item/return to 'alternate' address - and get to keep your item. Ebay; as usual; side with them as they can see "tracked" evidence of a return.

This is yet another disappointing thread to read of someone seemingly scammed AGAIN on Ebay and I think; given the situation; you can only try all the tricks you can to "call their bluff" in the hope they back down? I have taken to security marking ANY item I sell. Photo that "mark" and then; in the event of a 'claim' by a buyer; point out that you have taken this step to protect against scams. When you get the item back and validate it IS the item sent - then a refund will apply. Many scammers will see this as a "flag" that you are 'woke' and back down.

I don't have any other tips as we all have our own procedures and others will criticize them as "pointless" or "meaningless" in a claim scenario but I still think it's better to try ALL you can to support your side of a case. Some members will (and have) attested to winning a case against a buyer so it isn't a lost cause yet!

Out of interest: Did you remember to take any serial number details from the iPad before you sent it so you can identify if the one that is returned (if one is returned!) is the one you sent?

Best of luck in getting a satisfactory resolution, OP. Fingers crossed!

Kind regards, Phsy.
Thanks for everyone for their suggestions on how to handle the situation. Been on contact to eBay on the phone who’ve said it’s best to just open a case, etc... so just going to do that and see how it ends
Hassan7719/02/2020 17:54

Thanks for everyone for their suggestions on how to handle the situation. …Thanks for everyone for their suggestions on how to handle the situation. Been on contact to eBay on the phone who’ve said it’s best to just open a case, etc... so just going to do that and see how it ends

Keep the receipt you used to post in case it is smashed to get your money from royal mail
Hassan7719/02/2020 17:54

Thanks for everyone for their suggestions on how to handle the situation. …Thanks for everyone for their suggestions on how to handle the situation. Been on contact to eBay on the phone who’ve said it’s best to just open a case, etc... so just going to do that and see how it ends

Can you prove the iPad was wrapped in 5cm thick bubble wrap around the entire item?
Definitely sound very suspicious that they don’t want to go through eBay or PayPal and have an exact amount they want refunding.

I think the only option you have is to tell them to open a case with eBay and offer them to return the item for a full refund.

Don’t offer a partial refund, or do anything outside eBay. Probably done this before to other sellers and don’t want eBay to see a pattern so don’t want to open a case.

If the item has been damaged in transit by Royal Mail you will have make a claim with Royal Mail and should be adequately insured by sending it special delivery.

In my opinion it sounds like they are trying it on and it’s unlikely the item was actually damaged in transit.
I sell custom cards (Yugioh/Pokemon) on eBay and I once had someone say the card was bent on arrival. I asked them for a picture of said bent card and never heard from them again.
myusernamehasgone23419/02/2020 20:07

Definitely sound very suspicious that they don’t want to go through eBay o …Definitely sound very suspicious that they don’t want to go through eBay or PayPal and have an exact amount they want refunding.I think the only option you have is to tell them to open a case with eBay and offer them to return the item for a full refund.Don’t offer a partial refund, or do anything outside eBay. Probably done this before to other sellers and don’t want eBay to see a pattern so don’t want to open a case.If the item has been damaged in transit by Royal Mail you will have make a claim with Royal Mail and should be adequately insured by sending it special delivery.In my opinion it sounds like they are trying it on and it’s unlikely the item was actually damaged in transit.

Yeah I always go through eBay now on after someone tried to scam me a couple of months ago. Told him to open a case in which he said that he will ring PayPal/Ebay tomorrow. I guess I’ll see then. I did ask for pictures and he showed it as smashed. Just a waiting game now. Best thing is just to return it, and only a partial refund through eBay of maximum £30 but that looks unlikely. Thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants