eBay Advice

Posted 2nd Apr
Hi Guys Need some advice.

A relative of mine sold an item on ebay which is valued at around £900.

Payment was via Paypal and buyer collected as it is a very heavy machinery.

After 2 weeks the buyer complained that the item "does not work". When the buyer visited he tested the item and my relative has CCTV proof of this and he informed eBay and they still said that the buyer has requested a return and please provide a shipping label.

Since the item is very heavy it will be expensive to courier and who knows if he has broken the item.

Does anyone have any advice from past experience?

Really gutted for my relative as this is the first time he sold on eBay

Many thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Sadly, the only obvious retrospective advice for a seller is any future ebay sale collection = cash on collection, certainly not PayPal.
Highly unlikely ebay will side with seller, see recent 30min vid youtube.com/wat…ItU
Seller still has option of civil action, after refund.
Unfortunately your relative is going to be out of pocket, unless they are prepared to go round to collect and then pull the buyer..

why would you sell anything on eBay for £900 is astonishing...
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 2nd Apr
At least you know where he lives send the boys round to get it back.
Bargainhead02/04/2020 13:42

Unfortunately your relative is going to be out of pocket, unless they are …Unfortunately your relative is going to be out of pocket, unless they are prepared to go round to collect and then pull the buyer..why would you sell anything on eBay for £900 is astonishing...

Exactly what I said, I told him once I found out that you will be scammed and Mark my words it's happened.
For collection sales I always tell buyer cash on collection only and never accept PayPal. Usually once the buyer collected I got the money I'll cancel the sale. Since buyer not paid for the item usually it's closed immediately.
Bigspin02/04/2020 13:51

For collection sales I always tell buyer cash on collection only and never …For collection sales I always tell buyer cash on collection only and never accept PayPal. Usually once the buyer collected I got the money I'll cancel the sale. Since buyer not paid for the item usually it's closed immediately.

Exactly what I would have done, I just wish he told me before.

I guess it's hopeless
MrMan201102/04/2020 13:58

Exactly what I would have done, I just wish he told me before.I guess …Exactly what I would have done, I just wish he told me before.I guess it's hopeless

I lost £879 lat year to some a## h###. I no longer sell anything outside UK. He paid and had 100% feedback so I sent the item to Germany via fully recorded Parcelforce. Parcel delivered and buyer started claim saying not received. eBay and PayPal took my side but then he started chargeback through bank. I provided all the records but PayPal said it's beyond their control. Ended up loosing money.
They’ve been super lucky buyer didn’t just say it’s not been delivered and then your relative would of lost the full £900, it’s a pretty well known scam. So is saying something is faulty and they will next say well if you refund me £300 I’ll be happy to fix it myself. It puts you in between a rock and a hard place because it’s likely the item isn’t broken but if you go collect they will break it in purpose. It’s always a lose lose situation when you get these people on eBay. Of course there’s also a very slight chance they are genuine and it has developed a fault.
as soon as eBay tell you to send a label, you’re pretty much up the creek
A relative of mine sold an item on ebay which is valued at around £900.

Take the money out of PayPal , refuse to give money back and write the account off
ashmac02/04/2020 16:12

A relative of mine sold an item on ebay which is valued at around …A relative of mine sold an item on ebay which is valued at around £900.Take the money out of PayPal , refuse to give money back and write the account off

Won't it affect credit history and baliffs and all that headache...?
No !

I lost out on some money but took it out and PayPal account went to - £100 ,they said pay it back within 60 days , I didn’t and got a load of letters from credit collections who said all sorts , ignored them all then pupal got back in touch and said I can pay £50 and that’s it but still ignored , nothing come of it apart from PayPal ban for a year and abit but I’m back on PayPal now for years same name and address

I’d rather do this than wipe my ass with £900

I just couldn’t let someone have me over no matter what
Edited by: "ashmac" 2nd Apr
MrMan201102/04/2020 16:18

Won't it affect credit history and baliffs and all that headache...?

No, any potential bailiff / credit history impact requires ebay / Paypal choosing to initiate court action and winning its case, and in a situation where the seller can show buyer happy with functionality (buyer infers this via CCTV) and sold-as-seen it is unlikely ebay nor Paypal will want to expose themselves to such questions from legal system, unless those businesses choose to be excessively arrogant. Also consider that PayPal openly states it does not support warranty claims, and this assumed example of "it was witnessed as fully functional by the buyer immediately prior to purchase, but subsequently had issues two weeks later" is well into unsupported warranty territory.
The seller may not / is unlikely to be able to hold another ebay nor PayPal account, which is hardly a hardship.
So the route being suggested is to immediately disassociate any of the seller's bank accounts and bank cards from the PayPal account, same with any ebay account link(s), although it would likely be appropriate to ensure the ebay fees are satisfied so the seller can be seen to have acted reasonably. There's been quite a few posts on HUKD recently from people that have done this over significant amounts; some say permanent ebay / PP ban; some say temporary.; can't recall any saying they had legal issues, might be worth a few minutes checking / asking on here.
AndyRoyd02/04/2020 18:15

No, any potential bailiff / credit history impact requires ebay / Paypal …No, any potential bailiff / credit history impact requires ebay / Paypal choosing to initiate court action and winning its case, and in a situation where the seller can show buyer happy with functionality (buyer infers this via CCTV) and sold-as-seen it is unlikely ebay nor Paypal will want to expose themselves to such questions from legal system, unless those businesses choose to be excessively arrogant. Also consider that PayPal openly states it does not support warranty claims, and this assumed example of "it was witnessed as fully functional by the buyer immediately prior to purchase, but subsequently had issues two weeks later" is well into unsupported warranty territory.The seller may not / is unlikely to be able to hold another ebay nor PayPal account, which is hardly a hardship.So the route being suggested is to immediately disassociate any of the seller's bank accounts and bank cards from the PayPal account, same with any ebay account link(s), although it would likely be appropriate to ensure the ebay fees are satisfied so the seller can be seen to have acted reasonably. There's been quite a few posts on HUKD recently from people that have done this over significant amounts; some say permanent ebay / PP ban; some say temporary.; can't recall any saying they had legal issues, might be worth a few minutes checking / asking on here.

That’s sums it up perfectly
MrMan201102/04/2020 13:58

Exactly what I would have done, I just wish he told me before.I guess …Exactly what I would have done, I just wish he told me before.I guess it's hopeless

What was the outcome?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions