eBay advice. Seller has changed their mind after item has been posted.

Found 24th Nov 2017
So I sold an item & posted it yesterday & now the buyer is asking for a refund. It clearly buyers remorse as the item is now cheaper on Black Friday. It is in the listing 'no refunds'. I'm thinking if I say no then the person might just end up saying that they didn't get it or it was damaged just so they can get the refund.
Do I have to get a refund?
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
Did you send recorded delivery?
ianhookk1 m ago

Did you send recorded delivery?

Unfortunately no. Just 1st class & proof of posting.
chris883 m ago

Can't be that expensive if you didn't? I wouldn't even entertain not sending recorded through ebay because of people making fake claims but I'm sure you know that. I would call ebay and tell them your concern to preempt it happening. Maybe don't reply to the buyer today. Or accept the return, or tell the buyer you've called ebay in case they make a fake claim.
Edited by: "ianhookk" 24th Nov 2017
chris887 m ago

Unfortunately you are screwed. I'd issue a refund once it has been returned but it's highly likely that they will just say it never arrived in the first place.
Seems like the best option. I put P&P for free so will I lose out on P&P cost or can I take that out of the refund?
If you have kept your proof of postage and the buyer claims it has been "lost" then you can claim back up to £20 plus postage standard through the royal mail.

Although I don't think he can risk saying it is lost now after the buyer remorse thing as now it will look very suspicious.

Since you have stated no refunds you don't have to do anything unless the item is not as described.
Robot_Rooster11 m ago

If you have kept your proof of postage and the buyer claims it has been …If you have kept your proof of postage and the buyer claims it has been "lost" then you can claim back up to £20 plus postage standard through the royal mail.Although I don't think he can risk saying it is lost now after the buyer remorse thing as now it will look very suspicious.Since you have stated no refunds you don't have to do anything unless the item is not as described.

The person said they got it for someone but they already have it so he/she doesn't need it anymore. Might stall till tomorrow to see if the person says they got it. Might be safest to refund or just let eBay decide.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll update what happens in the end whenever that may be.
Just tell them to open a return through eBay once they get it and that you will refund them once you receive it back.
No point fighting the buyer as you sent it without any signature required or tracking so they can easily leave you with no item and out of pocket by claiming item not received.
chris8815 m ago

The person said they got it for someone but they already have it so he/she …The person said they got it for someone but they already have it so he/she doesn't need it anymore. Might stall till tomorrow to see if the person says they got it. Might be safest to refund or just let eBay decide.Thanks for the help everyone. I'll update what happens in the end whenever that may be.

I mean if you do want to refund them ask them to pay for return postage and for them to keep the receipt, you can then also offer them a partial refund of the value of the item - postage cost for you when you get it back.
ianhookk1 h, 0 m ago

Can't be that expensive if you didn't? I wouldn't even entertain not …Can't be that expensive if you didn't? I wouldn't even entertain not sending recorded through ebay because of people making fake claims but I'm sure you know that. I would call ebay and tell them your concern to preempt it happening. Maybe don't reply to the buyer today. Or accept the return, or tell the buyer you've called ebay in case they make a fake claim.

Agreed.. talking from experience. Couldn’t have put it better myself.
Very annoying but try not to panic, most people do the right thing. dont communicate by phoning them, do it via email and only to the registered email address. if they dispute you can take screen shots.
"So I sold an item & posted it yesterday & now the seller is asking for a refund."

you asked yourself for a refund?
DevilsReaper17 m ago

"So I sold an item & posted it yesterday & now the seller is asking for a …"So I sold an item & posted it yesterday & now the seller is asking for a refund."you asked yourself for a refund?

My mistake.

So the buyer has said they've received the game & now asked for my address to send it back.
I don't want to be a dick & say no but why should I lose out if they change their mind?
chris8829 m ago

My mistake.So the buyer has said they've received the game & now … My mistake.So the buyer has said they've received the game & now asked for my address to send it back.I don't want to be a dick & say no but why should I lose out if they change their mind?

Before taking any action I would get in touch with ebay via phone and explain the situation. You clearly wrote no refunds and buyer has confirmed they have received the item.

I'd clarify with them whether you lose out if you don't accept a return
DevilsReaper15 m ago

Before taking any action I would get in touch with ebay via phone and …Before taking any action I would get in touch with ebay via phone and explain the situation. You clearly wrote no refunds and buyer has confirmed they have received the item. I'd clarify with them whether you lose out if you don't accept a return

Yes I'm going to ring ebay after work. He sending messages non stop. Now he's saying he can hear the disc moving inside the cover. Putting that hint in that he'll fight it if I don't refund him.
Have them send it back, give them negative feedback and move on. It's not worth the hassle.
RandomUser421 h, 12 m ago

Have them send it back, give them negative feedback and move on. It's not …Have them send it back, give them negative feedback and move on. It's not worth the hassle.

Sellers haven't been able to leave negative feedback for years.

OP, you are probably better off accepting the return on the grounds of change of mind. The buyer will have to pay to return it.

If you fight it, he will likely say it's damaged (which is what appears to be happening already if I've understood your posts correctly). He can then just open a SNAD claim and make you pay for the returns postage.
Even if it's not sent recorded you should have a 2D barcode number on 1st class, which can now confirm delivery
Sandy10123 h, 18 m ago

Even if it's not sent recorded you should have a 2D barcode number on 1st …Even if it's not sent recorded you should have a 2D barcode number on 1st class, which can now confirm delivery

That 2D bar code means diddly squat in an ebay case of item not received i was just told how do you know the postman didn't post to the wrong address and scan that code at the wrong address.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions