Ebay and Amazon price movements in basket - be aware you are being watched

Posted 28th Nov
In all the frenzied buying over the next 2 months many of you wil be looking at multiple webpages and have things in baskets waiting to make your final decision.
I have noticed on Amazon and now Ebay last night that items I was going to buy moved up in price in the time it took me to finish my research. I know prices are said to change but the prices the items were at where at those prices for at least 2 weeks and just by chance I have them in the basket for a while and they go up..... not buying it, excuse the pun.
Last night it was Ebay and a dewalt tool at £219, before I knew it, it was £233. I ended up buying a lesser priced option at £125 with no batteries because of this. Now interestingly this morning I get an Ebay notice saying not to forget the item I had been looking at last night.......at guess what £219!!!!! So at 10pm last night it went up in value for the night and back down in the morning, or they realised I wasn't dumb enough to buy it at the increased price last night and reoffered at my interested price.

Maybe all in my head but as a precaution I would say make a note of your webpages in a favourites list or something and close them/not put the items in the baskets or something just in case they are monitoring this web action and trying to push prices up on you. Don't forget many sites have tracking cookies able to see the other pages you go to and the products you look at.

Just an idea!

To be more clear about the basket issues, my items were only in the basket in the same evening the price change occured not long term, so the window for change was small and it was only up, after seeing a long period of price stabiity of the product in gentle browsing previously.
Maybe to be sure it is not a thing, put items in wishlist rather than basket.
Community Updates

Groups

8 Comments
Hmmmm. Yeah. It could also be the fact that many sellers and companies increase prices before a sale to give the impression of a bigger discount. Especially since Black Friday is around the corner. But I don’t see Ebay itself changing the prices as it’s not an item being sold by Ebay but by a seller instead... there must be some Ebay seller tool I’m not aware of that lets you know how many people have your item in their basket and only change the price of the item once it’s in the basket. Or maybe it’s completely unrelated to the fact it was in your basket.

Though, I’m not denying companies track everyone’s spending history to target ads for you.
Edited by: "DragonX" 28th Nov
Just checked the items in my amazon basket and 3 of the 5 have gone down the others are the same,overall about 12% down in the total basket (all prime eligible), they are smallish bits for a project that I would likely misplace before I use them if I order before I'm ready.
Amazon and its sellers shuffle prices frequently if not constantly; just look at the 3Cs website (that conveniently let's you set notifications for your desired price or less). The shuffling is based on all manner of elements not just what is sloshing around your Amazon basket. Amazon also has the courtesy to actively notify you of price movements (up or down) of any and all items that are within a basket. I don't see anything sinister; I do see some very complicated marketing pricing algorithm run by Amazon itself.
Thanks for the comments. I think I was urged to write this after the ebay seller one specifically, that next day it went back down. I just said it is a possibility and to be aware of it as such.
I think some of your baskets are long term ones that have time for changes to happen, mine were just in one evening (that might not have been clear above) and after 2 weeks of seeing the price steady on the sites only went up when I was browsing/put in basket is what I was focusing on/making a connection.
Happy Balck Friday splurging everyone.....
FNEC28/11/2019 18:06

...I think some of your baskets are long term ones that have time for …...I think some of your baskets are long term ones that have time for changes to happen, mine were just in one evening (that might not have been clear above) and after 2 weeks of seeing the price steady on the sites only went up when I was browsing/put in basket is what I was focusing on/making a connection.

No consipracy. Look at the 3Cs page below for example co2 detector shifted by Amazon. Mammoth and frequent daily price changes, occasionally doubling / halving in price:
uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Kid…1OC
and that doesn't record the multiple price movements during the day. Same item on random March 2019 day had minimum four changes in less than the same number of hours, and these are just the ones that the recording system managed to catch, some price changes during the same period were so quick the system couldn't keep up:
web.archive.org/web…f=h
web.archive.org/web…f=g
web.archive.org/web…f=f
web.archive.org/web…f=e
Point taken, will also keep website in mind to see where price is compared to history.

Thanks.
I notice some sellers are not quoting the original price or save xxx they are putting "Price after sale will be xxx"
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants