Expired

ebay and digital codes

Banned 31 replies
Found 17th Dec 2014
Hi. I sold a digital code on eBay and the buyer is now claiming that it was already redeemed when they came to use it. Microsoft said that the code was redeemed after I sent it to the buyer. He's now opened a dispute, is eBay likely to side with him and refund, or with it being a digital code, will they reject his request?

Tempted just to refund to avoid the stress.

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
31 Comments

Did you send it to the buyer as an item and not just through a message/email as a code?

just send copy of Microsoft email to ebay

if you send them a copy of the email or site where Microsoft tell you that it was used after you sent it then you should be good. Did you sent it recorded/signed for to prove delivered time/date? if you did you should have no worries about losing any money.

Just out of curiosity, how did you find out when it was used? has the other person shown you the code?

Was it a game and would Microsoft tell you the owner of it?

slavibigspender

just send copy of Microsoft email to ebay

Ebay should research what you are saying as the ebay emails are dated and timed so you should be okay if you send them the Microsoft one telling you it was used after you sent it. (could be a dodgy ebay IT employee) since I work in IT I know it is very easy to read everyones emails if you wanted it. or even set up a rule to forward all emails that say "voucher codes" if you wanted. Tut tut on ebay or the buyer either way!

Original Poster Banned

MS confirmed it was redeemed on the day I sent it to him. Do you think eBay will just refund him? Just tempted to refund him now as I worry :-(

I sent the code via eBay messaging.

jaydog69

MS confirmed it was redeemed on the day I sent it to him. Do you think … MS confirmed it was redeemed on the day I sent it to him. Do you think eBay will just refund him? Just tempted to refund him now as I worry :-(I sent the code via eBay messaging.

I am sure you will be on the loosing end.. ebay policy say that you cannot send the code digitally means via email or any other electronic source . if you had send code in CD or any other physical form then you could have a chance... but in this case you will surely going to sleep on the loosing end .
i sold few one plus code on ebay and have come across with this one buyer . though in my case i have refunded as i got the code for free

Jay, if you are tempted to refund anyway then let the ebay investigation run it's course. You might win and not have to refund! I detest buyers like this, blatant chancers. Should send Big Rick round...

Original Poster Banned

momartin

Jay, if you are tempted to refund anyway then let the ebay investigation … Jay, if you are tempted to refund anyway then let the ebay investigation run it's course. You might win and not have to refund! I detest buyers like this, blatant chancers. Should send Big Rick round...

I guess, just can't be doing with the stress of waiting for replies from them and worrying about it all.

The place where I originally got the code from have been kind enough to give me a replacement, but I'm not giving it to him as he could take it and say that doesn't work!

eBay are foul when it comes to digital codes! I've been stung a few times on top up vouchers and now tv codes. According to eBay, in their T&C's is says something about physically sending an item and they do not cover digital codes. Not that I could be bothered to go off and read that over a few quid but they sided with buyer every time. It's wrong, quite disgusting actually especially when you know the code has been used after transaction, some buyers know this and will scam at every opportunity.

when giving feedback on ebay make sure you put negative saying he is a scammer.

onepinkbit

when giving feedback on ebay make sure you put negative saying he is a … when giving feedback on ebay make sure you put negative saying he is a scammer.

That wont work. eBay will remove any attempt at doing so.

jaydog69

I guess, just can't be doing with the stress of waiting for replies from … I guess, just can't be doing with the stress of waiting for replies from them and worrying about it all.The place where I originally got the code from have been kind enough to give me a replacement, but I'm not giving it to him as he could take it and say that doesn't work!

You did nothing wrong so what are you worried about? Let ebay sort it out.

DEALS4EVA

Seriously??? wow how are you meant to make people aware if someone is not good to do business with

Original Poster Banned

Bigfootpete

You did nothing wrong so what are you worried about? Let ebay sort it out.

I breached ebay rules in selling a code :-(

go hereget them to confirm the date and time used use the chat here Microsoft get them to confirm the date and time used ask them if they mind this been used in a paypal dispute then you should able to email a transcript of yhe chat to your rmail adress then copy and paste that to any dispute also while in chat get him/her to say that she is a Microsoft empolyee when copy and pasting from the transcript remove any reference to the advisers name

http://support.xbox.com/en-gb/contact-us#2:2:2

onepinkbit

Seriously??? wow how are you meant to make people aware if someone is … Seriously??? wow how are you meant to make people aware if someone is not good to do business with

You can't. Sad but true.

I suppose the only thing you an do is if they leave you a negative, you can reply to it.
Edited by: "DEALS4EVA" 17th Dec 2014

Banned

I thought PayPal doesn't offer buyer protection for codes and digital items on eBay? When they open a case you reply with 'Digital Goods', you'll win the case.

Original Poster Banned

To be honest, it's stressing me out. I'll get an ebay violation for selling non tangable items and they'll side with the buyer anyway lets face it.

all you need to do is state that you send a printout of they code aswell as emailing it to the buyer

tip whatever code your selling check if code works by entering and it but don't redeem it that way your know the code working before sent it also stated that you test each every code before dispatch
Edited by: "shakey1981" 17th Dec 2014

Ask Microsoft to send you s screenshot of what they see from their end, this will prove date of redemption after date of postage.

Original Poster Banned

shakey1981

all you need to do is state that you send a printout of they code aswell … all you need to do is state that you send a printout of they code aswell as emailing it to the buyer tip whatever code your selling check if code works by entering and it but don't redeem it that way your know the code working before sent it also stated that you test each every code before dispatch

If I send them it in the post, then they will be covered by buyer protection so will get refunded anyway.

Just not worth it.

Send the buyer a email saying microsoft knows it was redeemed after you sent it, and know what live account was activated on etc

Original Poster Banned

Daytrader

Send the buyer a email saying microsoft knows it was redeemed after you … Send the buyer a email saying microsoft knows it was redeemed after you sent it, and know what live account was activated on etc

It's £20. If someone is that tight to lie and cheat then have the £20.

I've had this happen to me on eBay loads of times, I use to run a business on there selling xbox codes, when I was selling them the buyer use to win the case BUT when I was buying them the seller wins!! Absolute joke

I've even had someone who bought one opened a case 5 months later yes 5 months later saying they didn't authorise the transaction!!

DEALS4EVA

sellers cannot leave negative !

Mate you have sold someone an item and they are now attempting to cheat you. If you have evidence that they redeemed the code and are now trying to claim it didn't work then you are in the right. Theft is theft. They may think you won't bother for the sake of £20 but I'd be tempted to teach them otherwise.

wanderer

sellers cannot leave negative !

I know that! Haven't I just said as much!

See what Microsoft can do for you. Ive found them to be more helpful than expected in the past.

I would be tempted to spin him a line about microsoft looking into the stolen code with the possibility of banning the account. See what happens? He/she might suddenly remember something.

DEALS4EVA

I know that! Haven't I just said as much!

stress

wanderer

stress

I thought you were stressed out. Given that you didn't even read the comments properly before you started bashing away on your keyboard.

Oh, look, a silver abominable reindeer
Edited by: "DEALS4EVA" 18th Dec 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769374
    2. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 191 ***1327
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247620
    4. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3280

See more discussions