Groups

Ebay and Paypal disputes.

I have recently seen more and more people being scammed on eBay with digital codes using the paypal dispute and chargeback scam.

To anyone who has been scammed like this please do the following.

1. If you have not posted the code to the address provided by PayPal post it asap recorded delivery. Even after the dispute claim.

2. Wait for the recorded delivery to track and show its been signed or refused.

3. Phone paypal directly and give them the tracking number. They stop any hold of funds on your account. The dispute will now be between paypal and the buyer.

To be covered by PayPals sellers terms you need to post the item and have it tracked. It doesn't matter if you post it after the dispute or before. If it's tracked and signed you have proof you have handed the item over. A lot of people are falling foul of these nasty scams because they think they can no longer post the item after the dispute.

This happened to me and I did all the above steps and within two days all holds on my account were gone. I posted the item nearly 2 months after I had already messaged the code to the scammer.

Hope this helps someone. The good guys need to stick together.

13 Comments

Been there. Done that. Got the scars. I have to say that my experience with Paypal was nothing like as simple ro professional as yours. I had to force them to act and recognise that a UK web site transaction between 2 UK based people in GBP was covered by UK law and Moneyclaimonline. No matter what their nasty little Ts&Cs try to say to the contrary.

Far, far easier to just quit eBay and Paypal. As you rightly point out, eBay is full of nasty little scammers. Why even 'shop' there when there are so many other good ways of buying and selling.

...and what if (as a buyer) you receive an envelope (signed for) with nothing in it (which happened to me last week)?

Original Poster

I'm sorry to hear that robertr. It's really sad the amount of scams going on. In reality ebay or paypal really need to start regulating the digital side of things. Too many people are getting scammed and digital sales will only get bigger.

My post was really for all those currently being scammed the other way round as I always see the usual advice is there's nothing you can do. Which is wrong.

I've been scammed they same way two years ago. I quit Paypal since then. Their verification system is the reason why there are lots of scammers around. Paypal has no power against banks and they don't bother disputing anything. I received 18 charge backs in two days! They did not help although I posted the codes to buyers all over the word with tracking numbers! Most addresses were fake. Later on Paypal said this not a matter of not receiving the code thingy, it's about unauthorised transactions! All 18 cases were closed in favour of buyers despite all my efforts. I showed them my middle finger and exit the door. The end.
    Edited by: "mixmixi" 14th Feb

I sold a code on eBay and I sent the code through the post as I was scammed before. The buyer said they were hacked and didn't mean to buy the item. The buyer isn't responding to my messages and the code has been redeemed by someone and eBay and PayPal won't help. I sent the code signed for

Thank you for taking your time writing this wonderful response to the countless ongoing disputes. The simplest solutions is if the publishers would confirm openly what time&date the code was activated thus the seller has significant proof that the key they sent was unused and activated after they buyer had received the key. On my recent post i mentioned how ubisoft confirmed the time the key was activated (was shortly after I'd messaged the code to the buyer) but this was verbally told to me by a ubisoft call operator. If they would implement a easy to access website, paypal can just seemingly view the said record and see when and at what time the key was activated. This is a simple solution which safeguards both parties.

Yeh i dont understand why paypal/ebay cant use there brains, i been on ebay for over 15 years, with 100's of sales and 100% feedback, i am in the middle of getting scammed, why would i risk my 100% feedback to scam anyone ? i guess there still side with the buyer, when the time comes, and also, dont ebay/paypal ever wonder why the scammers most of the time wait to say they aint received anything like 4 weeks later ? surely if a game code is not sent to them instantly or next day or so, surely they would query it then?

Original Poster

Electrodragon8. Did you send it recorded delivery? If so send paypal the tracking number and you will be fine. I think it's best now to add tracking to paypal as well as ebay when you post an item.

LuckyFrog I'm sure your post was what made me write this as it was expired and I could not respond. If you post a note to the sellers paypal home address with tracking you should be fine. Just hand over the details to paypal on your dispute case files and ring them up once tracking shows it's been delivered.

Here's an idea, someone make us a website where sellers and buyers and safely and securely sell cd keys. When you buy a scratchcard it has this metallic cover which has to be scratched off. So here's an idea create a trading site where the keys are sent hidden, and once the buyer clicks unlock the time is noted and if the buyer disputes you can prove the key was viewed as this time and date, and if the key had had been activated after this time and date they are no refunds. Im sure any genuine buyer and seller will gladly accept the terms. This could be a new dragons den business investment

Luckyfrog

Here's an idea, someone make us a website where sellers and buyers and … Here's an idea, someone make us a website where sellers and buyers and safely and securely sell cd keys. When you buy a scratchcard it has this metallic cover which has to be scratched off. So here's an idea create a trading site where the keys are sent hidden, and once the buyer clicks unlock the time is noted and if the buyer disputes you can prove the key was viewed as this time and date, and if the key had had been activated after this time and date they are no refunds. Im sure any genuine buyer and seller will gladly accept the terms. This could be a new dragons den business investment

It doesn't matter if you make a website or not, as far as Paypal is involved with any payments there will be always scams.

Having recently purchased a steam code via eBay, I was asked by the seller to send a photo of envelope/utility bill/bank statement which clearly showed my ebay/paypal registered address. This was for them to verify it was my eBay account and that it hadn't been hacked.

Any private details they said I could simply block out.

Sent them the required photos and code was then delivered via messaging as usual.

Edited by: "vultura" 14th Feb

Some good advice here. I have had a similar situation that as a seller I managed to avoid being scammed.

I never email codes despite many requests
    I always send the buyer a pointless message as evidence that they want the item. e.g can you confirm console/postage address?

Luckyfrog

Thank you for taking your time writing this wonderful response to the … Thank you for taking your time writing this wonderful response to the countless ongoing disputes. The simplest solutions is if the publishers would confirm openly what time&date the code was activated thus the seller has significant proof that the key they sent was unused and activated after they buyer had received the key. On my recent post i mentioned how ubisoft confirmed the time the key was activated (was shortly after I'd messaged the code to the buyer) but this was verbally told to me by a ubisoft call operator. If they would implement a easy to access website, paypal can just seemingly view the said record and see when and at what time the key was activated. This is a simple solution which safeguards both parties.

But where's the incentive for the publisher? Secondary market resales actively harm their revenue from a game, so it's in their interests to discourage these sales.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word survey1013
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …1627
      3. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2663
      4. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1518

See more discussions