Ebay Auctions - Seller Practices?

Posted 6th Mar
Hello HUKD, I have been trying to buy some items recently on Ebay auctions unsuccessfully. During this time I have noticed some strange behaviour from certain sellers.
One tactic seems to be the seller listing the item at a low starting price and then bidding up the item "anonymously" and then it "sells" & gets magically relisted minutes later.
Another seller lists an item for 5 days & then with 1 day to go removes the item for sale which cancels all bids & then relists it again later. (Their listing has a link which which encourages to save time by using the BUY IT NOW price).
I have made genuine bids on these items and was going to put my max bid in near the end of the auction to buy them but now I will not because I don't trust that i'm getting a genuine auction.
I have reported this to Ebay but never get any feedback from Ebay on this.

I would love to hear other users advice & experiences on using the Auction part of Ebay..............................................................
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Happened to me with a rare item I wanted and was only really available for that one seller in the UK.

Did same as your example pushing the price up and then relisted it.

Happened twice

Left it in the end wasn’t prepared to deal with them over inflating the price.

So frustrating
should they do it enough they get banned their systems recognise it, I know because my friend got banned long one ago. Just put alarm on just before it finishes so you can get one in or max bid at the latest.
Edited by: "MR1123" 6th Mar
I’ve had a similar experience when trying to purchase the plastic strip along the bottom of a shower screen. Seller has several auctions for the same item starting at 99p and then several Buy It now listings for £4.99. The 99p auctions are always pulled before their end time, forcing you to use the BIN option
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 6th Mar
Toptrumpet06/03/2020 16:00

I’ve had a similar experience when trying to purchase the plastic strip a …I’ve had a similar experience when trying to purchase the plastic strip along the bottom of a shower screen. Seller has several auctions for the same item starting at 99p and then several Buy It now listings for £4.99. The 99pauctions are always pulled before their end time, forcing you to use the BIN option

Really don't understand why they list items in auction if they don't want to follow the rules, they have all the other options of buy it now & make an offer. It just wastes peoples time when they make a bid and then 4 days later all bids are cancelled. Makes no sense and Ebay should be stopping these practises!
Edited by: "Loudmouthsnook" 6th Mar
You seem to care too much about other people's business.
Edited by: "Erudite" 6th Mar
Erudite06/03/2020 16:19

You seem to care too much about other people's business.

I’d guess that irony is lost on you.
Getting friends or multiple accounts to shill bid up auctions.
It’s more common than you think. Report them to eBay. They’ll be able to check what accounts are being used to bid up.
MrWalle06/03/2020 17:10

Getting friends or multiple accounts to shill bid up auctions. It’s more c …Getting friends or multiple accounts to shill bid up auctions. It’s more common than you think. Report them to eBay. They’ll be able to check what accounts are being used to bid up.

I have reported the listings that I have been suspicious of, I just wish Ebay would provide customer feedback afterwards as I have little confidence in the system that allows these practises.

Some of the listings I have reported are relisted every 5 days and have been since I first noticed them in early January!
Edited by: "Loudmouthsnook" 6th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants