Ebay ban

Found 13th Nov 2017
I have found myself with a 7 day ban from ebay.
someone wanted to collect in person so I stupidly put my address in a message, ebay tell me any personal information shared in a message is against ebays rules even after a sale.
On the phone to them, I asked how I am supposed to tell anyone where to collect if in not allowed to give out my address and apparently you have to request buyers details through an advanced search then contact them by phone (assuming their number is up to date).

This is total madness, I was not attempting to sell outside ebay as they appear to think!

Has anyone else had this happen?
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
I am always incredibly careful when I message through the ebay system. If they even think that you're trying to work the system they can come down upon you quite hard.

Had the auction itself finished? If it had I'd probably have sent them an invoice through the ebay system.
Now I think they're very strict with this. You also can't even put your phone number in a listing.

Best thing to do is jack it all in. Whole experience isn't worth the hassle.
Scrollbar16 m ago

I am always incredibly careful when I message through the ebay system. If …I am always incredibly careful when I message through the ebay system. If they even think that you're trying to work the system they can come down upon you quite hard.Had the auction itself finished? If it had I'd probably have sent them an invoice through the ebay system.

The person had not bought and asked if they did buy could hey collect in person, I stupidly wrote back " sure I only live at ######". ebay took it I was trying to sell outside ebay which I can understand as the purchase had not taken place.

But when I said to her, am I only allowed to share my address after the auction, she replied "Actually no, you must never share any personal information, phone numbers emails addresses or home address in messages or invoices", I asked how I was meant to get my item collected and she said the only way is to request the buyers details with an advanced search and phone them.

The ban is now lifted and I had someone buy another item and ask to collect it, i'm now to scared to give an address so i'm having to use this stupid work around and so far the buyer has not replied to my text.
Edited by: "kudos1uk" 13th Nov 2017
J4GG411 m ago

Now I think they're very strict with this. You also can't even put your …Now I think they're very strict with this. You also can't even put your phone number in a listing.Best thing to do is jack it all in. Whole experience isn't worth the hassle.

You right, I'm not normally a seller, I'm normally only a buyer, I was just clearing some bits, its been years since I sold stuff and I had no idea it was this tight now and the fees are really high (the fees never used to be on postage either!), think I will stick to Facebook to sell unwanted stuff and forget ebay's nonsence.
Edited by: "kudos1uk" 13th Nov 2017
Clearly you were attempting to rob them. I've contacted the Police
Dilithium2 m ago

Clearly you were attempting to rob them. I've contacted the Police

Ahhh but you wont have my address
kudos1uk1 m ago

Clearly you're a criminal so you must be northern, that rules out half the population
kudos1uk13 m ago

You right, I'm not normally a seller, I'm normally only a buyer, I was …You right, I'm not normally a seller, I'm normally only a buyer, I was just clearing some bits, its been years since I sold stuff and I had no idea it was this tight now and the fees are really high (the fees never used to be on postage either!), think I will stick to Facebook to sell unwanted stuff and forget ebay's nonsence.

Yeah, facebook, gumtree, shpock all free.

Ebay you will probably get more for your goods...initially. Till you figure out what fees they took.
I went offline with a few sales, saved hundreds in fees. EBay don't pay taxes I don't pay fees.
I don’t understand this, but unless eBay have updated their policy recently, you are able to give collection details after the auction closes.
I sold 20 stacking chairs in October, and gave the buyer my address and telephone number to arrange collection.
32425884-LMei9.jpg
Private sellers are an endangered species on Ebay – Selling’s like walking a tightrope, blindfolded while juggling, just one or two bad sales is enough to knock you off – no seconds chances, banned for life and your address usually blacklisted.

For collection stuff it’s always best to use Gumtree – and it’s free.

Selling collection items on Ebay is risky, you have to offer PayPal even if you stipulate Cash on collection you’ll always have someone awkward insisting on Paying by PayPal leaving you, the seller open to an INR claim as you can’t prove delivery or submit proof of postage.
I got a warning couple of weeks back for the same thing, no way would i take PayPal and allow collection, thats asking for trouble so cash only, have to be a bit smarter if the situation comes up again, maybe use morse code or an Enigma machine to give my details
kudos1uk3 h, 34 m ago

Yea he has. You sent it to him on eBay.
I asked a commercial seller if they could do me a custom sized piece of acrylic with a cut out in it for a kitchen socket, ebay gave me a warning for ''attempting to trade'', I left the order and sorted the problem by going direct via a website. Funny thing was the seller had offered to set-up a custom listing so we could get feedback and I could pay via paypal.
The easiest way (assuming the buyer is on the ball) is to just give them your phone number - oh seben hate floor free....
Member-to-member contact policy
We also don't allow members to offer, reference, or request email addresses, phone numbers or other contact information, physical addresses, web addresses, or links within eBay messaging systems (Best Offer, My Messages etc.). eBay may monitor messages sent through eBay and between users for fraud, abuse, spam, and other violations of eBay's policies.

Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including your messages being blocked, limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

They dont say you cant do it after the sale as you already have the address once invoices are sent etc. I always say request invoice for my address and pay on pick up and if they require to see the item first they must use the buy now and are free to walk away if they dont like it. I think the CS agent may be wrong as most times they are clueless. Also you as a seller can be reprimanded just by the buyer sending their details even though you didnt do anything wrong. I have been on ebay since it began in the UK and always said I would carry on till the end, the end is very nigh, well for me it is.
see link below and read the comments
tamebay.com/201…tml

Just found this in one of the comments "ebay have a Trust and Safety Team who monitor inappropriate activity and take the appropriate action. As proof, there were 3.5 million accounts suspended / restricted in 2014 (I think that was the year) worldwide. This is proof that eBay are proactively monitoring inappropriate activity and taking action."

wow thats a lot
Edited by: "caverncity" 13th Nov 2017
jax6199 m ago

Why does seben hate floors so much? And free floors?

Don't worry, I wouldn't expect you to get it
Predikuesi2 h, 13 m ago

I don’t understand this, but unless eBay have updated their policy r …I don’t understand this, but unless eBay have updated their policy recently, you are able to give collection details after the auction closes.I sold 20 stacking chairs in October, and gave the buyer my address and telephone number to arrange collection.[Image]

Leytonstone, London?
One way that some people use to get around sending personal info in eBay messages is to send it as an attached picture.
No doubt they'll soon be using image scanning software to check on that if they don't already.

Another is to obfuscate, such as:

email
IGNORE THIS
AT
IGNORE THIS
domain name
IGNORE THIS
DOT
IGNORE THIS
com

One obvious way is to wait until they pay with PayPal and then email them directly which clearly is no good for cash on collection items.

The problem I find with Gumtree is that people usually expect to get things at way below eBay prices even after you deduct all the fees and postage.
Plus you have to deal with the collection in person.
Destard1 h, 51 m ago

Leytonstone, London?

Location, Location, Location
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 13th Nov 2017
So, what if you, or your potential customer want to view something before deciding how much to bid? I wouldn't buy a second hand, boat, outboard, or expensive machinery without inspecting it first, and would be unlikely to be able to sell one unseen either.
Edited by: "melted" 13th Nov 2017
Agharta3 h, 25 m ago

One way that some people use to get around sending personal info in eBay …One way that some people use to get around sending personal info in eBay messages is to send it as an attached picture.No doubt they'll soon be using image scanning software to check on that if they don't already.Another is to obfuscate, such as:emailIGNORE THISATIGNORE THISdomain nameIGNORE THISDOTIGNORE THIScomOne obvious way is to wait until they pay with PayPal and then email them directly which clearly is no good for cash on collection items.The problem I find with Gumtree is that people usually expect to get things at way below eBay prices even after you deduct all the fees and postage.Plus you have to deal with the collection in person.

Might be better register a .co.uk or .com domain name with your ebay user ID. If a seller's ebay ID looks like it might be a company domain name, then I will google it to find contact details and if they've got the same item on their own site.

I also google product IDs if they are given, to find more details and to see if I can find the item cheaper on a regular site
Edited by: "melted" 13th Nov 2017
Ebay do monitor your messages. I was selling a 32'' TV, collection only. Someone local to me agreed on £90, he said he would pay cash, I asked him for his phone number then I didn't hear from him again. Few days later he ended up winning the bid at £87, when he came round he said that ebay banned him from messaging me.
melted38 m ago

Might be better register a .co.uk or .com domain name with your ebay user …Might be better register a .co.uk or .com domain name with your ebay user ID. If a seller's ebay ID looks like it might be a company domain name, then I will google it to find contact details

Business sellers have to give contact details anyway and I doubt many private sellers want to take the time to do what you suggested.
J4GG411 h, 46 m ago

Now I think they're very strict with this. You also can't even put your …Now I think they're very strict with this. You also can't even put your phone number in a listing.Best thing to do is jack it all in. Whole experience isn't worth the hassle.

I put my mobile number in an ad when selling my motorcycle lately, i see it quite a bit. I must have been lucky.
snoopy1818 m ago

I put my mobile number in an ad when selling my motorcycle lately, i see …I put my mobile number in an ad when selling my motorcycle lately, i see it quite a bit. I must have been lucky.

Auto flags and auto warns you to remove it before listing.

So it must not apply for vehicles.
That's bad. I had an item on eBay someone was interested in the item. Gave them my details as I couldn't ship it as the size and weight.

I asked them not to proceed through to bidding and I'll sell it to them outside eBay to save me paying fees.

I got caught but was given a warning of rules. No ban or anything.

Your issue just seems pointless to give you any sort of penalty.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants