(eBay) bank transfer from buyer question

Found 5th Mar
My friend has messaged me about an item he is selling and the buyer wants to do a bank transfer as he says he doesn’t have a PayPal account. I’ve looked at the buyers account and he has 12 feedback stars over 4 years from buying. But to me it looks like he’s bought off business which could mean he does have paypal. The item for sale is £236 and £26 postage. I’ve told him to ask for a postal order but I told him don’t reply to him yet and I’ll ask the HUKD’ers. What’s your opinion on this? Deal or no deal?

2904675-3wNj0.jpg

Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
I would Tell him to do one. If he's bought off eBay before, chances are he DOES have PayPal. Smells iffy.
There must be some scam he's trying pull. They do plenty of scams already even when you use paypal via ebay. Tell him come pick it up cash on collection will be best. Probably do a bank reversal or something afterwards. By the way he doesn't need a paypal account to pay with paypal just needs a debit or credit card if he's not got one of them I would just wait for another buy better off taking a 10-15 quid loss than the total.
Edited by: "MynameisM" 5th Mar
This sounds like an account has been hacked. Usually when accounts have been abandoned hackers are able to get them and use them for this type of thing. Unless he uses PayPal I would avoid the dealing.
As M says, he does not require a paypal account. But without one, you dont get a verified address to post to so you have no Paypal protection

Sadly, pretty standard stuff on eBay.

Don't ask here. Ask eBay and do as they advise. That places responsibility on them. You ahve to notify them anyway to get your fees refunded.
Don't see a problem.
I buy on eBay from time to time and never use PayPal, I always just pay using my bank card, they could be genuine. I'd be worried about handing my bank details over to a stranger.
Wouldn't worry me. I hand over my bank details to anyone that wants to pay me. Its got a common way of paying and transferring money. I would get them to transfer £1 first as don't want any... I've done it where is my goods... When you get the £1 ask for remaining balance. If your not happy with this payment type pull out the deal... Recently bought a car and guy gave me his bank details and i transfered money over. Also bank details on many bills we all receive from small and large businesses. Good to keep your guard up though and think about it.
Edited by: "wayners" 5th Mar
wayners27 m ago

Wouldn't worry me. I hand over my bank details to anyone that wants to pay …Wouldn't worry me. I hand over my bank details to anyone that wants to pay me. Its got a common way of paying and transferring money. I would get them to transfer £1 first as don't want any... I've done it where is my goods... When you get the £1 ask for remaining balance. If your not happy with this payment type pull out the deal... Recently bought a car and guy gave me his bank details and i transfered money over. Also bank details on many bills we all receive from small and large businesses. Good to keep your guard up though and think about it.

Why would the buyer paying via more than one transfer alter anything?

They could still reverse the transfers..?

If you regularly accept BT when selling goods, you WILL get scammed at some point.
ccnp52 m ago

As M says, he does not require a paypal account. But without one, you …As M says, he does not require a paypal account. But without one, you dont get a verified address to post to so you have no Paypal protectionSadly, pretty standard stuff on eBay.Don't ask here. Ask eBay and do as they advise. That places responsibility on them. You ahve to notify them anyway to get your fees refunded.

This.

Advise eBay of all communication and follow there advice.

But for me, as a seller either PayPal if goods are posted or if collected, cash on collection only.
I would prefer a bank transfer over PayPal any day.
mastablasta39 m ago

I would prefer a bank transfer over PayPal any day.

Both aren't very good for sellers sadly as ebay favour buyers even the proper dodgy ones when theres a dispute. Not sure really about bank transfers but when ever I have had a issue about any transaction my bank seems to suggest that they can get the money back if ts been taking wrongly.
Avoid.
artnada2 h, 41 m ago

I would Tell him to do one. If he's bought off eBay before, chances are he …I would Tell him to do one. If he's bought off eBay before, chances are he DOES have PayPal. Smells iffy.

artnada2 h, 41 m ago

I would Tell him to do one. If he's bought off eBay before, chances are he …I would Tell him to do one. If he's bought off eBay before, chances are he DOES have PayPal. Smells iffy.

What's the worst that could happen? eBay wouldn't offer major credit and debit cards if they were a scam. Worst thing that happened is the item doesn't come. Then you'd open a resolution case of that was to happen. If that fail you'd open a visa dispute with ur bank and get the money back that way
Bank transfer + eBay = trouble
machomansavage10 h, 2 m ago

What's the worst that could happen? eBay wouldn't offer major credit and …What's the worst that could happen? eBay wouldn't offer major credit and debit cards if they were a scam. Worst thing that happened is the item doesn't come. Then you'd open a resolution case of that was to happen. If that fail you'd open a visa dispute with ur bank and get the money back that way

Ops friend is the seller!
machomansavage11 h, 22 m ago

What's the worst that could happen? eBay wouldn't offer major credit and … What's the worst that could happen? eBay wouldn't offer major credit and debit cards if they were a scam. Worst thing that happened is the item doesn't come. Then you'd open a resolution case of that was to happen. If that fail you'd open a visa dispute with ur bank and get the money back that way

He's.. Well the friend is the seller... Get the money then part with goods. Buyer is taking the risk so I can't see the problem for op friend. As I buyer I wouldn't use bank transfer though unless I was happy with the transaction like when we bought a car.
Edited by: "wayners" 6th Mar
GonzoFK14 h, 14 m ago

I buy on eBay from time to time and never use PayPal, I always just pay …I buy on eBay from time to time and never use PayPal, I always just pay using my bank card, they could be genuine. I'd be worried about handing my bank details over to a stranger.

They can't steal your money only knowing your bank details... Many companies have their bank details on their bills or website so you can pay via bank transfer.
If there was any danger of being robbed of their money they sure wouldn't do it and I bet they have a lot more to lose than you
Always take bank transfers over PayPal as once the money is in your account it is extremely difficult to reverse. That’s why all cryptocurrency sellers only use bank transfer and won’t accept PayPal.

Plus it’s instant and free.

If you are worried do the same as the crypto sellers and ask for a photo of them holding their driving license.
Edited by: "mastablasta" 6th Mar
If you are suspicious at all just have your friend tell the guy he can make a Paypal account and pay via that because your friend doesn't feel comfortable accepting a bank transfer as there is no seller protection that way.
No. Don’t do it. Scam
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants