Expired

ebay best offer accepted do i have to buy?

Found 26th Oct 2014
Ive seen an item on ebay (boiler spare part) for my brother and made "an offer" for £15 (was £17), however next day my brother has got his item from a local shop (twice the price nevertheless). Then i got the offer i placed accepted. Does it mean I am bound to buy it. as i no longer need the item.
dont mind doing things right if it means i have to buy it or pay them compensation. I am wondering about ebay terms in this matter ?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
You have technically entered into a contract so yes. Although you could contact the seller and explain
i had the issue once. i just explained to the seller very apologetic. offered to pay the ebay selling fee (30p something like that). then it is up to the seller. the worse which can happen is a bad feedback on your account,but it is better than paying for something you dont want.
I didn't think sellers could leave buyers negative feedback?
But yes, you should pay if you made the offer! Maybe sell it on again yourself?
Clair4485

I didn't think sellers could leave buyers negative feedback?But yes, you … I didn't think sellers could leave buyers negative feedback?But yes, you should pay if you made the offer! Maybe sell it on again yourself?

They cant't but you will get a unpaid item strike. May limit you from bidding on certain other items.
I guess technically you have to buy, however if you don't pay like has been mentioned, you get an non paying bad mark, not an issue really if you are a normal payer and this is a one off.

Or email the seller and they can agree not to sell or continue the sale, yes a pain but then you are all ok.

The latter is best route.
Get your brother to pay for it, and he can del it on. Can't your brother return his one to the shop?
Original Poster
thanks all for your insights , i guess in this case i will contact the seller and offer a compensation for wasting his time to resolve the issue. otherwise i'll tell him to ship it and i'll pay for it. perhaps realist it on eBay myself. I believe i have two days to pay according to ebay Thnx much appreciated
You don't have to I've done it loads of times
hasnamohammedhael123

You don't have to I've done it loads of times

You mean you make loads of offers and then just don't buy when they accept unless you want to??

Do not offer compensation.

Just contact the seller explaining everything that has happened and you would like to cancel the transaction. The seller can end the transaction stating that you no longer want the item. Once they have done that you just end it on your side once the case has been opened.

The seller will then get their fees back so nobody is out of pocket and nobody gets a black mark.

Pretty sure rules have changed - they did for a while but not sure if it was temporary/an experiment - for a while last year you didn't commit even if buyer accepted. Not sure of current status of that change
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants