ebay bidder with no feedback

decided to take the plunge and get rid of my ps2 on ebay. just bout wet myself when i got bids but the guy in the lead has no feedback, only joined today and so far has only bid on my item.
it has kinda set alarm bells ringing and was wondering what precautions, checks etc i can take to cover myself just incase he wins the item and he is a scam artist.

25 Comments

This is a shame.
I remember when ebay could be fun and folk's were honest.
Nothing at all against your post, but the buyer *might* be genuine and signed up today wanting a ps2.
I know some folks may say that is a bit rose-tinted but like i say, shame

As for advice, i am sorry i've no idea

Original Poster

totally agree. we've all got to start somewhere but its better to be safe than sorry.

If you take other kind of payment other than Paypal like cheque or postal order your buyer with no f/b may pay by post.If the person don't pay you report to eBay get your fees back and you just relist your item.
I'm not sure how much a PS2 are worth used on eBay but if you bothered about the cash,well make sure you send to confirmed address if taking Paypal and send it by signed for delivery.

Banned

If he is the buyer then you are in a better position as you get to wait for payment, wait until you physically have the money in your bank account and then send it then

Banned

As the others have said.............

If he does win, just make sure you've got full details and you are sure the address is genuine. I'm sure there are ways to find out if someone with his surname lives at the address given.

In future, its best to go into add a comment that you dont accept bids with less than +5 or something similar unless they email you first. Not sure how that helps to be honest - but if they are using a pucker email address (and not a throwaway one) at least it should be trackable.

Original Poster

cheers guys hopefully it'll be fine and i'm just being paranoid. he may not even win the auction. it finishes tomorrow lunchtime so i'll keep you all informed.

ants97

cheers guys hopefully it'll be fine and i'm just being paranoid. he may … cheers guys hopefully it'll be fine and i'm just being paranoid. he may not even win the auction. it finishes tomorrow lunchtime so i'll keep you all informed.

If the price of the PS2 is still low it will probably go up in the last minute or so.

In future, you can block buyers who dont have any feedback.

I was nearly scammed on ebay once, someone offered me £250 for a phone which was worth £100. Luckily, i found out that i was about to be scammed and reported him to ebay.

Don't think you can block buyers with no feedback. I'll have a look when I get home from work.

If he is not Paypal verified, then dont accept it & offer it to the person below him

I take it if he changes the selling settings specifying mnimum feedback it won't be applied to this listing?

stora

Don't think you can block buyers with no feedback. I'll have a look when … Don't think you can block buyers with no feedback. I'll have a look when I get home from work.

Yes you can.

It's under My Ebay-My Account-Preferences-Selling Preferences-Buyer Requirements-Edit.

Best advice is to set this to 'block buyers with a feedback score of 1 or under with no credit card on file'. Most scammers won't register a credit card - genuine new ebayers tend to. It's not a hard and fast rule, but my activity log shows plenty of people who have tried to bid, especially on higher priced items, who have been blocked. Genuine bidders will contact you if blocked and ask you to make an exception. At that stage you can find out a bit more and make a decision.

schizoboy

I take it if he changes the selling settings specifying mnimum feedback … I take it if he changes the selling settings specifying mnimum feedback it won't be applied to this listing?

It applies to all bids from that point on, even for current listings, but doesn't block any bids that have already been made prior to the changes.

It might not relate to the subject directly but I think it would be useful for everyone to ask here. I used to sell something on ebay. The buyer have like 200 stars, rating 99%. I sent my product to them twice and they said that they never received it. So, it ended up with I had to refund them as PayPal buyer protection policy and lose my 2 products. I cant claim anything from Royalmail because it's not recorded delivery. However, I check the address, it's correct. So, I believe that the buyer received it but nothing I can do or track it. How can Royalmail miss sending it twice? If so, where is my items now? If I find that situation again, what should I do?

Sorry to ask here but I dont want to raise a new topic.

Thank you very much

When you post an item and want proof of posting, and you didn't use recorded/sd etc where they can stamp it on the back.

There's a little white leaflet you can get the post office to fillout and more importantly stamp beside the address of that postal item.

That provides prove of postage and up to £28 insurance on each item, as I understand it, so if you post something without recorded/sd get them to fillout and stamp that form.

I had a load of trouble when I sold a 360 on Ebay a few months ago, the first buyer didn't pay at all and the second one who did pay was an idiot.

I'm not doing that again.

merlinthehappypig

Yes you can. It's under My Ebay-My Account-Preferences-Selling … Yes you can. It's under My Ebay-My Account-Preferences-Selling Preferences-Buyer Requirements-Edit. Best advice is to set this to 'block buyers with a feedback score of 1 or under with no credit card on file'. Most scammers won't register a credit card - genuine new ebayers tend to. It's not a hard and fast rule, but my activity log shows plenty of people who have tried to bid, especially on higher priced items, who have been blocked. Genuine bidders will contact you if blocked and ask you to make an exception. At that stage you can find out a bit more and make a decision.

It is -1 or lower. Anyone with zero feedback can still bid.

stora

Sorry you're wrong. You are getting confused with blocking buyers completely, not blocking those without a credit card on file which was my advice.

My current buyer requirements are:

Block bidders who:

Are registered in countries to which I don't post
Have a feedback score of -1 or lower
Have received 2 Unpaid Item strikes in the last 30 days
Have a feedback score of 1 or lower and no credit card on file

My activity log regularly shows attempted bids from those in the last category, many of whom are de-registered within a week or two so likely to have been scammers. This is the single most important buyer requirement to have to avoid being ripped off. It's not perfect, but makes a big difference.

Banned

schizoboy

When you post an item and want proof of posting, and you didn't use … When you post an item and want proof of posting, and you didn't use recorded/sd etc where they can stamp it on the back.There's a little white leaflet you can get the post office to fillout and more importantly stamp beside the address of that postal item.That provides prove of postage and up to £28 insurance on each item, as I understand it, so if you post something without recorded/sd get them to fillout and stamp that form.

Yup, I do this with anything of value I send by RM - particularly from ebay.

The insurance value is higher that £28 now (think its £32)

I always mark the packaging in some way - usually with colourful squares on it. Doing so increases your chances of the postie remembering the package! When you come to claim, they do investigate the address. If they are theiving SOBs, the chances are they will be found out.

Either way, you will get a refund of the insurance. Its just not worth taking chances - particularly since this insurance is FREE.

I had some little scrote 'buy' my XBOX 360 off me last year on eBay. He had about 20 feedback, and it was about 85% positive. I wasn't online when the auction had finished, so I couldn't check his feedback before hand, although in the listing I did state that anybody with less than 90% positive feedback is to send me a message before bidding.

Anyway, he asked to pick it up personally as he lived nearby, and I agreed. Went to meeting point and he didn't show. Kept insisting on eBay that we didn't even agree to meet when I filed a complaint, but he's since been kicked off as he did exactly the same thing to somebody else selling an XBOX.

There's a lot of idiots on eBay, but an awful lot more great people too

If the price of the PS2 is still low it will probably go up in the last … If the price of the PS2 is still low it will probably go up in the last minute or so.[COLOR="Red"]In future, you can block buyers who dont have any feedback[/COLOR].I was nearly scammed on ebay once, someone offered me £250 for a phone which was worth £100. Luckily, i found out that i was about to be scammed and reported him to ebay.

My reply

Don't think you can block buyers with no feedback. I'll have a look when … Don't think you can block buyers with no feedback. I'll have a look when I get home from work.

You said:

Yes you can.It's under My Ebay-My Account-Preferences-Selling … Yes you can.It's under My Ebay-My Account-Preferences-Selling Preferences-Buyer Requirements-Edit.Best advice is to set this to 'block buyers with a feedback score of 1 or under with no credit card on file'. Most scammers won't register a credit card - genuine new ebayers tend to. It's not a hard and fast rule, but my activity log shows plenty of people who have tried to bid, especially on higher priced items, who have been blocked. Genuine bidders will contact you if blocked and ask you to make an exception. At that stage you can find out a bit more and make a decision.

My reply

merlinthehappypig

Sorry you're wrong. You are getting confused with blocking buyers … Sorry you're wrong. You are getting confused with blocking buyers completely, not blocking those without a credit card on file which was my advice.My current buyer requirements are: Block bidders who:Are registered in countries to which I don't postHave a feedback score of -1 or lowerHave received 2 Unpaid Item strikes in the last 30 daysHave a feedback score of 1 or lower and no credit card on file My activity log regularly shows attempted bids from those in the last category, many of whom are de-registered within a week or two so likely to have been scammers. This is the single most important buyer requirement to have to avoid being ripped off. It's not perfect, but makes a big difference.

Notice the bit in red?

I was answering that. You jumped in and confused yourself with the credit cards.

Scammers have been known to use stolen credit cards and I correctly posted that you can not block a bidder with zero feedback.

[QUOTE=schizoboy]When you post an item and want proof of posting, and you didn't use recorded/sd etc where they can stamp it on the back.

There's a little white leaflet you can get the post office to fillout and more importantly stamp beside the address of that postal item.

QUOTE]

When I post an item, I always got a white leaflet that you said but what is the stamp beside the address of that postal item? What stamp? I dont get it. Sorry . . . but I'm glad that you can advice me at this moment because I'm selling my n80 on ebay and I'm still afraid that problem gonna come up again.

Thank you very much in advance

Morning!

The white leaflet I think that is being talked about is the "Certificate of Posting".
This is taken from the Royal Mail website in regards to First Class and proof of posting:

Royal Mail Website

Up to £34 compensationAsk for your free Certificate of Posting from your … Up to £34 compensationAsk for your free Certificate of Posting from your local Post Office™, and you’ll be eligible for compensation up to £34 for loss or damage when using our First Class service.

This is quite handy if you post low value goods but remember that you have no proof of delivery - The catch 22 situation!

Personally, when I do sell on ebay, I always use Recorded delivery as you can track the item.

If you click the following, this will give you a clear guide as to what is offered in terms of compensation: ]Compensation for delay - Retail Scheme

Make sure you know the serial No of the machine & let the buyer know you have noted it.

One scam can be saying item was broken on arrival when they already had the broken one :x

The majority of ebayers are genuine good guys just the few who spoil it.

My advice is always send things recorded delivery, as if there is a PayPal dispute they will not accept a certificate of posting they will only accept a tracking number as proof.

And I agree on the serial numbers some people unfortunately will try anything, I got left negative feedback for a dress that was still hanging in my wardrobe as the buyer hadn't paid!

Original Poster

well so far so good. the guy with no feedback never won and the winner has paid via his cinfirmed paypal.

instead of the workshy commies at the royal mail I used payperdrop and was collected this morning. wasn't in but dhl guy left yellow receipt and was wondering what number do I use to track the package?

thats great advice on the serial number, unfortunately was to late to use it but i've got a old school ps2 I may get rid of now as well so i'll def be noting it just incase.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …147347
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764524
    3. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1742
    4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523414

See more discussions