Ebay buyer asking for paypal email?

Found 20th Jul
I am trying to sell my car on ebay and potential buyer is asking for my paypal email for payment, he said he is on holiday and its fastest way of payment for him and his courier will collect the car. I am not sure about giving my paypal to him. Is it safe ? any suggestions please.
Community Updates
AskPayPal
Top comments
No. Just no. It will otherwise result in chargeback. Seriously: optionally report buyer's ebay username to ebay, but definitely just move on.
Holiday...courier....PayPal......alarm bells ringing VERY loudly. Don't do it. End of.
15 Comments
I'd be very careful. My brother was selling his phone on eBay and some guy was trying to send some email from "PayPal" to show payment had been made. Obviously my brother checked his account and no money had actually been transferred. If it feels dodgy, leave it. Could be legit but I'd personally say go through the proper channel. EBay will be sure to remind you on their ts and cs if you do try to sell without them after advertising the product with them.
Edited by: "param84" 20th Jul
No. Just no. It will otherwise result in chargeback. Seriously: optionally report buyer's ebay username to ebay, but definitely just move on.
You specified it in the listing (eScam make offering payment by Paypal compulsory to get another % commission). You don't need to supply it. The buyer needs to go to payments and select payment method as Paypal.
For a car I would only take cash - not just for the security but also to avoid the fees. Ask the buyer to send cash with the courier - if he really wants the car he will organise this - but I suspect he'll pull out!

Edit - I would also accept a bank transfer - after checking with the bank that the funds are cleared.
Edited by: "Van1973" 20th Jul
Van197342 m ago

For a car I would only take cash - not just for the security but also to …For a car I would only take cash - not just for the security but also to avoid the fees. Ask the buyer to send cash with the courier - if he really wants the car he will organise this - but I suspect he'll pull out!Edit - I would also accept a bank transfer - after checking with the bank that the funds are cleared.

Rather a bank transfer instead of notes that could potentially be fake.
Go bank with courier and bank transfer, safest way
karlypants6 m ago

Rather a bank transfer instead of notes that could potentially be fake.

xoisthemotive4 m ago

Go bank with courier and bank transfer, safest way

Nah, bank transfers can be reversed if source accountholder can show the transfer was fraudulent / effected without the accountholder's permission.
Cash is simplest route - if seller can credibly check not forged e.g. have buyer pay cash directly into bank, either in presence of seller or remotely.
Its 99.9% a scam. Tell him its either cash on collection or bank transfer. Do not let the car go! Who in there right mind would buy a car they have never seen from someone they don't know. You wont hear from him again when you so No No No to paypal.

A few weeks ago my boss at similer at work with a guy trying to buy his motorbike.
Edited by: "Wadda" 20th Jul
Holiday...courier....PayPal......alarm bells ringing VERY loudly. Don't do it. End of.
Thanks everyone. I told him to pay on ebay and he is not replying now.
Common scam.
I've never had a problem giving mine out normally it's if they have to pay extra for something or to avoid eBay fees. I've asked others for theirs for the same reason and used to do it all the time on here when the fs/ft section was live I've never had a problem.
Edited by: "furbars" 20th Jul
The most scammiest of scams. Don't do it
Just completely ignore him.
Classic scam you can see a mile off. Avoid.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants