Ebay buyer claiming item damaged, requesting return

Found 27th Sep 2011
Just had a request to return an item with the buyer claiming it's damaged.

Never happened to me before. Do I have to accept the return and where do I stand on this?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
38 Comments

Original Poster

My bad. Can someone please move this to misc please.

If item is damaged buyer can return and paypal will refund their payment if they have a tracking number for return parcel.

If the post office/courier damaged the item, give a refund and make a claim against the post office/courier, you must have the original packaging to show them though.

But get the item back first before doing the refund.

Original Poster

boonergooner

If the post office/courier damaged the item, give a refund and make a … If the post office/courier damaged the item, give a refund and make a claim against the post office/courier, you must have the original packaging to show them though.

The PS3 gaming headset was securely packed and posted via recorded delivery.

Do I need to take pictures?

Banned

you don't really have much choice as paypal will most likely side with the buyer
Claim from royal mail, keep the original packaging and you will most likely need to prove what you paid for it

Original Poster

colinsunderland

you don't really have much choice as paypal will most likely side with … you don't really have much choice as paypal will most likely side with the buyerClaim from royal mail, keep the original packaging and you will most likely need to prove what you paid for it

Won't the Ebay transaction page be enough proof?

Banned

nope, not usually

So do you get what you paid for the item or what you sold it for on Ebay?

donaldduck2

So do you get what you paid for the item or what you sold it for on Ebay?

you get nuthing

Has the buyer said what the damage is? Perhaps they already had a damaged set and wanted a replacement,

will you be able to tell if they return a substitute damaged item and keep yours?

Original Poster

grabbit

Has the buyer said what the damage is? Perhaps they already had a damaged … Has the buyer said what the damage is? Perhaps they already had a damaged set and wanted a replacement,will you be able to tell if they return a substitute damaged item and keep yours?

I've contacted him after he raised a claim asking about the damage. He's made no contact apart from the automated claim.

Also checked his feedback and he's bought another headset from another buyer this evening. The seller has stupidly already left him positive feedback.

Post Office will only provide a refund for postage costs. In order to claim compensation you would have to provide proof of purchase (or proof of value).

If you state on the claims form that it was a used item sale (e.g. a sale through a forum such as this one) then you most likely wont get compensation.

Talking from a recent experience (as a seller) where my PC component got lost in the post. I sent Royal Mail pictures of the item (before i posted it) and of the packaging on the day. However, they only sent me a book of stamps to cover the cost of the postage paid.

Original Poster

shuwaz

Post Office will only provide a refund for postage costs. In order to … Post Office will only provide a refund for postage costs. In order to claim compensation you would have to provide proof of purchase (or proof of value). If you state on the claims form that it was a used item sale (e.g. a sale through a forum such as this one) then you most likely wont get compensation.Talking from a recent experience (as a seller) where my PC component got lost in the post. I sent Royal Mail pictures of the item (before i posted it) and of the packaging on the day. However, they only sent me a book of stamps to cover the cost of the postage paid.

Item was new and sealed.

Buyer now claiming item is faulty.

Where do I stand if the buyer sends back another headset? How do I prove this to Ebay/Paypal?

Reply though the dispute console and ask what the damage was,did the package appear to have been damaged during transit,

tell the buyer to keep all packaging as it may be requested by royal mail,also pics will be helpful,

advise buyer when the return is received and you have checked it for your security markings you will make refund and claim from royalmail,if they are bluffing they wont know for sure whether you have it security marked or not

IWannaBeAdored

I've contacted him after he raised a claim asking about the damage. He's … I've contacted him after he raised a claim asking about the damage. He's made no contact apart from the automated claim.Also checked his feedback and he's bought another headset from another buyer this evening. The seller has stupidly already left him positive feedback.

He could be telling the truth and the item was damaged in transit, in which case u can claim with royal mail ( or whoever )

As for the comment about feedback, that is how it is meant to work, it ain't meant to be used tit-for -tat, if he has paid in full quickly then u need to leave the appropriate feedback.

You never know it may of been broken when you had it (as it was new & sealed), ive bought quite a few things from shops & come to find they are damaged/broken, so he maybe telling the truth.

aunty jane

You never know it may of been broken when you had it (as it was new & … You never know it may of been broken when you had it (as it was new & sealed), ive bought quite a few things from shops & come to find they are damaged/broken, so he maybe telling the truth.

obviously it's entirely possible that there is a fault with it,it shouldn't be described as broken though in that senario,the claim should have been for faulty if that was the case,that would be nothing to do with it incurring damage during transit

shuwaz

Post Office will only provide a refund for postage costs. In order to … Post Office will only provide a refund for postage costs. In order to claim compensation you would have to provide proof of purchase (or proof of value). If you state on the claims form that it was a used item sale (e.g. a sale through a forum such as this one) then you most likely wont get compensation.Talking from a recent experience (as a seller) where my PC component got lost in the post. I sent Royal Mail pictures of the item (before i posted it) and of the packaging on the day. However, they only sent me a book of stamps to cover the cost of the postage paid.

I've made 3 claims for lost items only ever sent the Ebay listing for what it sold and paypal stuff and the Proof of postage, Full refund every time have never had to prove the value of an item yet.

this isn't a lost item though,it's a damaged one and royalmail are clamping down on claims,to be honest can't say I blame them as the system is being abused

newbie1001

I've made 3 claims for lost items only ever sent the Ebay listing for … I've made 3 claims for lost items only ever sent the Ebay listing for what it sold and paypal stuff and the Proof of postage, Full refund every time have never had to prove the value of an item yet.

Edited by: "grabbit" 28th Sep 2011

Banned

newbie1001

I've made 3 claims for lost items only ever sent the Ebay listing for … I've made 3 claims for lost items only ever sent the Ebay listing for what it sold and paypal stuff and the Proof of postage, Full refund every time have never had to prove the value of an item yet.

You were lucky, they regulary now ask for proof of purchase price, especially if it was a brand new item.

OP - As you are (presumably from your previous posts) selling as a business then you don't have any choice anyway but to accept the return, if they send back a different item you would have to try writing to them and if that doesn't work, start a small claim action in court to get your money back

colinsunderland

You were lucky, they regulary now ask for proof of purchase price, … You were lucky, they regulary now ask for proof of purchase price, especially if it was a brand new item.OP - As you are (presumably from your previous posts) selling as a business then you don't have any choice anyway but to accept the return, if they send back a different item you would have to try writing to them and if that doesn't work, start a small claim action in court to get your money back

That's the difference between being a seller and a buyer on ebay. I briefly had Bronze powerseller status on ebay (coolstorybro), and abandoned the site after being hit by buyers who simply said "item not received" / "item cracked in post". The claim goes to paypal, and if the buyer doesn't provide a special delivery tracking number, paypal debits the sellers account and refunds the purchaser.

There's no need to prove the value of anything, paypal simply returns the amount the item was won at auction for.

Banned

le_jaeger

That's the difference between being a seller and a buyer on ebay. I … That's the difference between being a seller and a buyer on ebay. I briefly had Bronze powerseller status on ebay (coolstorybro), and abandoned the site after being hit by buyers who simply said "item not received" / "item cracked in post". The claim goes to paypal, and if the buyer doesn't provide a special delivery tracking number, paypal debits the sellers account and refunds the purchaser.There's no need to prove the value of anything, paypal simply returns the amount the item was won at auction for.

The proof of value is relating to royal mail claims not ebay claims, the OP is the seller so he won't get anything from paypal.

In fact, you could buy something off ebay right now, from a private seller, and if he posts it standard mail (first or second, non recorded) - you can (dishonestly) claim no receipt. Submit this to paypal, who require the seller to provide proof of postage (Royal Mail proof receipts ARE NOT acceptable), and if the seller doesn't, you get an automatic refund. Madness.

colinsunderland

The proof of value is relating to royal mail claims not ebay claims, the … The proof of value is relating to royal mail claims not ebay claims, the OP is the seller so he won't get anything from paypal.

Yeh soz, just reading full thread now. Just thought I'd vent my own frustrations with "the system". Good luck OP. On the singular occasion I claimed from Royal Mail, all I had to do was submit the listing number with my seller id. They then looked up the auction. The claims form even has a specific ebay section, because of the volume of ebay driven business that exists.

Edited by: "le_jaeger" 28th Sep 2011

Banned

le_jaeger

In fact, you could buy something off ebay right now, from a private … In fact, you could buy something off ebay right now, from a private seller, and if he posts it standard mail (first or second, non recorded) - you can (dishonestly) claim no receipt. Submit this to paypal, who require the seller to provide proof of postage (Royal Mail proof receipts ARE NOT acceptable), and if the seller doesn't, you get an automatic refund. Madness.

What would you suggest as an alternative?

75p for recorded on top on postage price

colinsunderland

What would you suggest as an alternative?

I suppose an ideal would be if there were paypal staff who looked at things on a case by case basis (where the value of items is sufficiently high, of course). When a seller could illustrate (using a scan of postage certificates or otherwise) their case, you could have discretion applied to prevent misuse of the system. Of course that's not practical for the hundreds of thousands of ebay transactions that occur each week, which is presumably the origin of the current automated system. In the meantime I'd stick with recorded every time, like @nanny says!

OP - what was the item? In future, remember Royal Mail recommend Special Delivery for anything worth more than £41, so use that in future.

le_jaeger

OP - what was the item? In future, remember Royal Mail recommend Special … OP - what was the item? In future, remember Royal Mail recommend Special Delivery for anything worth more than £41, so use that in future.

and that would help how? buyer has said they received item but it is damaged

Banned

le_jaeger

I suppose an ideal would be if there were paypal staff who looked at … I suppose an ideal would be if there were paypal staff who looked at things on a case by case basis (where the value of items is sufficiently high, of course). When a seller could illustrate (using a scan of postage certificates or otherwise) their case, you could have discretion applied to prevent misuse of the system. Of course that's not practical for the hundreds of thousands of ebay transactions that occur each week, which is presumably the origin of the current automated system. In the meantime I'd stick with recorded every time, like @nanny says!

People who use the resolution centre too often do get stopped from using it. Just because you have a proof of postage that doesn't mean its been delivered either so that would be unfair on genuine buyers surely?

Original Poster

le_jaeger

OP - what was the item? In future, remember Royal Mail recommend Special … OP - what was the item? In future, remember Royal Mail recommend Special Delivery for anything worth more than £41, so use that in future.

Was a PS3 headset under £40. If it's over £40, I know to use special delivery.

Protection for sellers is an absolute joke.

Banned

IWannaBeAdored

Was a PS3 headset under £40. If it's over £40, I know to use special d … Was a PS3 headset under £40. If it's over £40, I know to use special delivery.Protection for sellers is an absolute joke.

As you are trading though you should be complying with the DSR's.

colinsunderland

As you are trading though you should be complying with the DSR's.

What has DSR's got to do with this? OP isn't refusing a return? He's just asking where he stands

Banned

grabbit

What has DSR's got to do with this? OP isn't refusing a return? He's just … What has DSR's got to do with this? OP isn't refusing a return? He's just asking where he stands

From the OP

Do I have to accept the return

grabbit

What has DSR's got to do with this? OP isn't refusing a return? He's … What has DSR's got to do with this? OP isn't refusing a return? He's just asking where he stands

Do I have to accept the return

Yeah,but he's going to accept it cos he doesn't have a choice,he'd be accepting it too even if he wasn't a business seller as ebay/paypal will enforce it

Banned

grabbit

Yeah,but he's going to accept it cos he doesn't have a choice,he'd be … Yeah,but he's going to accept it cos he doesn't have a choice,he'd be accepting it too even if he wasn't a business seller as ebay/paypal will enforce it

Yes but surely if you are trading you should know your legal obligations, such as the DSR's, so a thread like this shouldn't be needed. He has to, by law, accept the return, regardless of what ebay or paypal say. He also mentions that protection for sellers is a joke, another comment that suggests he doesn't want to accept the return. If he gets it back and it is damaged and he thinks the customer has done it then the onus is on him to prove it. He will of course, if he ever comes back to the thread (which I doubt) claim he isn't a business and all these brand new items he sells are actually unwanted gifts.

colinsunderland

Yes but surely if you are trading you should know your legal obligations, … Yes but surely if you are trading you should know your legal obligations, such as the DSR's, so a thread like this shouldn't be needed. He has to, by law, accept the return, regardless of what ebay or paypal say. He also mentions that protection for sellers is a joke, another comment that suggests he doesn't want to accept the return. If he gets it back and it is damaged and he thinks the customer has done it then the onus is on him to prove it. He will of course, if he ever comes back to the thread (which I doubt) claim he isn't a business and all these brand new items he sells are actually unwanted gifts.

Is he a business seller though? I haven't read it all back,but just because he sells a brand new item doesn't make him one,it could have been an unwanted gift as you say,

He know's now he's going to have to accept the return,but if it's not his item or if it was damaged by the buyer he needs to protect himself,

I'm sure there are lots of people (private/personal sellers who have unwanted,brand new items sitting around and they decide to sell them on ebay

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions