Groups

Ebay buyer in Portugal has not received item

An ebay parcel I sent has not arrived in Portugal.
    I haven't had an item go missing abroad before.It seems on royal mail website that no parcel if signed for could be tracked all the way to Portugal as they are only tracked in Uk.Ebay help page suggests they want to see proof of posting & proof of delivery but surely this wouldn't be possible if its only tracked in the Uk.As it is I sent it by airmail small packets only and not SIGNED FOR BECAUSE it seemed the tracking would end within the Uk anyway.
    So I do have proof of posting.Has this happened to other sellers before.What did you have to do?

35 Comments

You have to refund and claim from the royal mail. They more than likely have got it but there's nothing you can do but refund.

Youv'e just reminded me why I don't post abroad.

If its not expensive ust put a claim in and refund buyer, think you have to wait 30working days for an international transaction though

Banned

whatsThePoint

LOL of course they got it

even when you dont know the full story

thats why now i do uk only!

This is why you use DHL or Fedex if sending overseas -- or any courier service which has a door to door tracking service.

Even if you can prove you posted it.. the buyer will claim against you.. get a refund and you will have to make a claim with royal mail on the basis you have insurance.

Edited by: "RickT" 22nd Feb 2011

Original Poster

Thanks.I know others have chosen not to post abroad & up to now its always been Ok but it does put you off.Am I right though that a parcel cannot be tracked outside the Uk anyway so this could always happen and you would never be able to get proof of delivery outside Uk

Original Poster

You have just answered my question.Thanks.Although DHL lost my tent within the Uk so not a fan of them

RickT

This is why you use DHL or Fedex if sending overseas -- or any courier … This is why you use DHL or Fedex if sending overseas -- or any courier service which has a door to door tracking service.Even if you can prove you posted it.. the buyer will claim against you.. get a refund and you will have to make a claim with royal mail on the basis you have insurance.

Edited by: "apesvc3" 22nd Feb 2011

Banned

whatsThePoint

LOL of course they got it

why?
    Because they don't live in the UK you automatically think they are scammers?

Banned

colinsunderland

why?Because they don't live in the UK you automatically think they are … why?Because they don't live in the UK you automatically think they are scammers?

he doesnt know the time frame for starters.

there re heaps of ex-pats that live on the continent these days nd people would be crzy to dismiss the interntional market....they just need to be savvy

I sent a playstation game there, it didnt arrive for 4 weeks but luckly the chap was willing to wait, then all of a sudden it arrived but he said damaged but agreed i wrapped it well, when i told him this exprience is not good and will never post abroad he said no dont stop im recommending all my friends to you,

Banned

whatsThePoint

Ok lets pretent they didn't get it, op is still out of pocket if its gone … Ok lets pretent they didn't get it, op is still out of pocket if its gone missing, never worth the loss you will someday get caught with selling abroad on ebay

you dont know the full story so how are you jumping to these conclusions

how do you know they wont be compensated in full by Royal Mail exactly?

Banned

whatsThePoint

Ok lets pretent they didn't get it, op is still out of pocket if its gone … Ok lets pretent they didn't get it, op is still out of pocket if its gone missing, never worth the loss you will someday get caught with selling abroad on ebay

Why pretend? How do you know they didn't get it?
    OP can claim for loss from Royal Mail so how will he be out of pocket?

Banned

whatsThePoint

are you 2 sisters you say almost the same thing together

yes
    do you ever answer questions you are asked?

Banned

whatsThePoint

are you 2 sisters you say almost the same thing together

in english please

you have lost your money, i remember putting a claim i nfor items i sent recorded had photo copies of everythign and never saw a penny, that was within the uk too

If someone sends you a message asking "Will you post to Portugal", "will you post to Poland" Will you post to Nigeria"

Then, you respond with a very polite.... "NO!"

Its just not worth it, you can make nearly as much if not as much by selling to someone in this country so why put yourself through all this trouble?

OP, how much was the parcel worth?

Banned

joeprosho

you have lost your money, i remember putting a claim i nfor items i sent … you have lost your money, i remember putting a claim i nfor items i sent recorded had photo copies of everythign and never saw a penny, that was within the uk too

what was the reason they gave you for denying you a refund as set out in their terms & conditions?

ive had about a dozen refunds from them for the 2 years i just spent in the u.k

Banned

jonny619447

If someone sends you a message asking "Will you post to Portugal", "will … If someone sends you a message asking "Will you post to Portugal", "will you post to Poland" Will you post to Nigeria" Then, you respond with a very polite.... "NO!" :)Its just not worth it, you can make nearly as much if not as much by selling to someone in this country so why put yourself through all this trouble?

maybe not for you......

there are just as many people willing to scam you in the u.k if you dont cover yourself properly like the op didnt

casparwhite

maybe not for you......there are just as many people willing to scam you … maybe not for you......there are just as many people willing to scam you in the u.k if you dont cover yourself properly like the op didnt

Yes but things are a lot more to send abroad and people don't usually charge enough postage and then they take shortcuts by not buying a signed for postal service.

Yes there are just as many scammers in this country but the postal services in regards to things being signed for work better on a national basis rather then an international basis as there is more scope for things "going missing"

Banned

jonny619447

Yes but things are a lot more to send abroad and people don't usually … Yes but things are a lot more to send abroad and people don't usually charge enough postage and then they take shortcuts by not buying a signed for postal service.Yes there are just as many scammers in this country but the postal services in regards to things being signed for work better on a national basis rather then an international basis as there is more scope for things "going missing"

thats upto the seller, but there is reason why more international buyers are purchsing and this is becuse of the exchnge rate.....if someone wants it then they pay the approprite shipping the same as here.

this is the sellers responsibility and should be costed in the listing, you dont send un trcked within the uk unless you are prepared to go through the refund process so sending abroad should be no different.

Banned

jonny619447

If someone sends you a message asking "Will you post to Portugal", "will … If someone sends you a message asking "Will you post to Portugal", "will you post to Poland" Will you post to Nigeria" Then, you respond with a very polite.... "NO!" :)Its just not worth it, you can make nearly as much if not as much by selling to someone in this country so why put yourself through all this trouble?

How do you work that out?
    If you have 2 people bidding against each other in the uk, and maybe 3 from abroad, how do you get more money if you only have 2 bidders instead of 5?
    About half of what I sell goes abroad (with about 80% of that to Spain and USA). The stuff I sell with increased internation visability sells for, on average, 30-40% higher than uk only sales.

Banned

dcx_badass

Lol easy scam. And if not you're still screwed.

how?
    I get less than 1 in 100 parcels going missing I send abroad and have had a refund on every one without exception. Thats with only a proof of posting, not signed for service.

Banned

dcx_badass

Lol easy scam. And if not you're still screwed.

care to explain this nonsense post?

colinsunderland

How do you work that out?If you have 2 people bidding against each other … How do you work that out?If you have 2 people bidding against each other in the uk, and maybe 3 from abroad, how do you get more money if you only have 2 bidders instead of 5?About half of what I sell goes abroad (with about 80% of that to Spain and USA). The stuff I sell with increased internation visability sells for, on average, 30-40% higher than uk only sales.

well for a start using your 5 bidders against 2 example, an item will only sell for what its worth! just because you have twice as many bidders doesn't mean its going to sell for twice as much.

If your selling an xbox that is worth £100 and you have two bidders then chances are you will get around that figure, if you have 20 bidders your not going to go much if anything over that £100.

My 6 year old could have worked that one out!

casparwhite

care to explain this nonsense post?

Well if its not signed for the buyer is going to get the goods and a refund.

D'oh

Banned

jonny619447

Well if its not signed for the buyer is going to get the goods and a … Well if its not signed for the buyer is going to get the goods and a refund.D'oh

why are you answering someone elses post?

how do you know they have received it exactly?

why would you not claim compensation in the form of a refund from royal mail?

how are you screwed?

always send tracked

paypal always supports the buyers and also the high feedback members who are regulars on paypal and have 1000+ feedback

if you are stuck in the middle you are screwed

Banned

breeville

always send trackedpaypal always supports the buyers and also the high … always send trackedpaypal always supports the buyers and also the high feedback members who are regulars on paypal and have 1000+ feedbackif you are stuck in the middle you are screwed

they dont "support" anyone more than anyone else

they support honest people and class everyone as honest unless there is proof otherwise

you know like the old innocent until proven guilty......heresy doesnt count for much thesedays im afraid

Banned

jonny619447

well for a start using your 5 bidders against 2 example, an item will … well for a start using your 5 bidders against 2 example, an item will only sell for what its worth! just because you have twice as many bidders doesn't mean its going to sell for twice as much. If your selling an xbox that is worth £100 and you have two bidders then chances are you will get around that figure, if you have 20 bidders your not going to go much if anything over that £100.My 6 year old could have worked that one out!

So if you have 2 people who both want a cheap xbox and don't want to pay more than £50 it will sell for £100?
    It is obvious that the more bidders you have, the higher its likely to sell for. Any 6 year old could work that out.
    How does your 6 year old explain the fact that items I sell with increased international visability sell for 30-40% more than uk only?

ffs who in the right mind would send a parcel overseas using royal mail

its well publicised that rm responsibility limited to uk shores only

recently im seeing a lot of similar threads appearing by the uninitiated

whats this world coming to

casparwhite

they dont "support" anyone more than anyone elsethey support honest … they dont "support" anyone more than anyone elsethey support honest people and class everyone as honest unless there is proof otherwiseyou know like the old innocent until proven guilty......heresy doesnt count for much thesedays im afraid

nice fairy tale

Banned

whatsThePoint

there will always be exceptions as your well aware, but as clearly show … there will always be exceptions as your well aware, but as clearly show by the number of threads started by people on this forum who have lost out while posting abroad with ebay, its a risk that will catch most people out sooner or later, hopefully you and caspar as well and then you'll both stop being so **** about everything

It's hardly an exception when over about 8 years of selling on ebay it has always happened.
    In that time I have never had a problem getting refunded from Royal Mail. In fact I have had more problems getting refunds for UK lost items as they sometimes send a letter to the buyer, and if they don't reply (which a lot don't) they assume it was delivered and you have to fight with them to get the refund.

Banned

sedd33

ffs who in the right mind would send a parcel overseas using royal … ffs who in the right mind would send a parcel overseas using royal mailits well publicised that rm responsibility limited to uk shores only

Link?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk44
      2. Win a Karcher Xpert Pressure Washer88
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains98
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33

See more discussions