Ebay buyer insisting on courier for collection only items.

Found 14th May 2013
Ive sold a lob lot of items on Ebay, all fragile and totalling around £800. I requested cash on collection, I also wrote that I wouldnt be using a courier as the items are fragile and would probably end up broken in transit (I could package them but it would take an age and I also dont want the risk).

A seller then bought the item, paid with paypal then insisted on a courier (that Ive never heard of) shortly after. The items are going overseas as hes got a buyer for them - so hes also wanting postage to an unconfirmed address, no tracking number, and I just get a note to say the goods have been handed over.

I opened a request to cancel the transaction, mainly because hes assumed I will accept a courier, he never bothered to ask prior to buying, it sounds dodgy and I dont want the risk.. I gave several reasons for wanting to cancel - which Ebay have probably ignored?!
He refused to cancel. Ebay then closed my request and I was emailed a generic response saying to complete the transaction and I wont be getting my final value fee. Ace.

What do I do now?

Whilst I can accept that Ebay wouldnt know whos collected the item as there would be no proof the buyer collected it himself and not a courier .. But if he decided to open a Paypal dispute for the item being broken etc etc, he could end up with the money and the items, and if I dont have a tracking number Id be in trouble.. but having said that hes still asking for postage to a different/unconfirmed address so a tracking number is pointless.
He keeps insisting Im not responsible for the safe delivery and pushing to get his way. Hes saying he "will collect if he has to", but from the distance he lives from me theres no way its going to be him, he'll probably just send the courier again..

I was thinking of refunding him the £800 minus the final value fee of £80 (I think its £80), but Im assuming Id end up in trouble for that too!? I want him out the way and just relist tbh, hes been a proper pain.
Community Updates
MiscCourier
21 Comments
if you listed collection olnly then tell em to sod off
I would keep contacting ebay about it. You have a 1/10 chance of getting through to a human, the rest are monkeys that have been taught the power of cut & paste.
even if buyer collects, never accept paypal
I always do a live chat with them and get the issue solved that way.
Call eBay, that thing called a phone... But yes I have used live chat twice to great success!
Edited by: "DudeyGeeza" 14th May 2013
So buyer has caused you to lose your FVF knowing there is no way you would change your mind and complete the transaction, so pretend a courier is ok, get him to arrange & pay for the courier.

Then when the courier comes to collect, tell him to do one!

See how he likes it!
csiman

even if buyer collects, never accept paypal

When I made the listing it wouldn't allow me to uncheck the paypal as payment box. I assumed its just another change to the listings?
Nikki999

When I made the listing it wouldn't allow me to uncheck the paypal as … When I made the listing it wouldn't allow me to uncheck the paypal as payment box. I assumed its just another change to the listings?

Yea, you have to accept paypal. It screams that at me whenever I do a quick listing on my phone.
Allow him to collect by courier - but do not package/wrap anything - insist his carrier does it.
Get actual proof from buyer of his UK registered address - you'll need this for small claims court after he files a claim with Ebay/Paypal.

Take photos/video of the stuff being handed over to the courier with a copy of the successful bidders details, showing his address - that is where you are allowing it to go to.

Driver signs disclaimer on behalf of buyer that all was good on handover, no further claim accepted once it all leaves your possession.

Or just tell him to do one as it screams scam to me!!
call ebay on 0800 358 3229
Don't send anywhere other than a confirmed address and by trackable means.

Live chat or phone ebay as has been said above, you need to fight your corner on this or you're gonna get ripped off.
Ive called Ebay.. The guy said because the buyer arranged a courier and were willing to collect with that method, Ebay closed the request to cancel.
When I said "but he wants me to allow an unknown courier to collect, then send the items to an unconfirmed address, therefore Paypal could find in his favour due to the address/tracking number issue, and theres also the risk of it all getting broken in transit being sent overseas". His reply was "its his prerogative what he wants to do with it, he wouldnt be able to open a dispute on collection only items and hes accepting the condition upon collection." Sounds like rubbish to me! Surely he can open a dispute for items not described if they do end up at the other end broken. Do I need to ring Paypal now and see where I stand!?

What a nightmare.
Just Ignore all communications, guys clearly trying to scam, if you said collection only.

Also if I a courier turns up, I would refuse collection.

You could of refunded paypal instantly without any fees being taken on both ends, that's what the refund is there for. Then just put items are broken and removed from sale or listed as incorrect whatever suits.

Edited by: "Adam2050" 14th May 2013
Nikki999

Ive called Ebay.. The guy said because the buyer arranged a courier and … Ive called Ebay.. The guy said because the buyer arranged a courier and were willing to collect with that method, Ebay closed the request to cancel. When I said "but he wants me to allow an unknown courier to collect, then send the items to an unconfirmed address, therefore Paypal could find in his favour due to the address/tracking number issue, and theres also the risk of it all getting broken in transit being sent overseas". His reply was "its his prerogative what he wants to do with it, he wouldnt be able to open a dispute on collection only items and hes accepting the condition upon collection." Sounds like rubbish to me! Surely he can open a dispute for items not described if they do end up at the other end broken. Do I need to ring Paypal now and see where I stand!?What a nightmare.

Also re- the second bit, ofc he could, he would be able to via paypal, and claim he was scammed. He sounds like a right joker, there's a reason why so many on here use Paypal gift and BT as it's harder to scam but not foul proof.
Adam2050

Also if I a courier turns up, I would refuse collection.You could of … Also if I a courier turns up, I would refuse collection.You could of refunded paypal instantly without any fees being taken on both ends, that's what the refund is there for. Then just put items are broken and removed from sale or listed as incorrect whatever suits.

I was going to refund via paypal, but I was 99% sure that he would have to agree to cancel the transaction in order for me to get the £80 fvf back? I had a feeling he would just deny it (which he has now, then I would end up without the fvf and hed probably just attempt paypal again?

Nikki999

I was going to refund via paypal, but I was 99% sure that he would have … I was going to refund via paypal, but I was 99% sure that he would have to agree to cancel the transaction in order for me to get the £80 fvf back? I had a feeling he would just deny it (which he has now, then I would end up without the fvf and hed probably just attempt paypal again?

I would sort removing the item first from sale via items not as listed, though as you have already took advice from eBay, you maybe in a corner. I would make it clear to the buyer your cancelling the item, and selling elsewhere as you stated it's collection only, and you only stipulate in person. So if your going to go ahead with a courier I'm going to refuse the courier simple as. You can either end this as is or mess around for ages, this isn't going to happen in the method he/she wants. As collection only is the terms & conditions, doesn't matter what ebay think's it can or can't do tbh.
Member since 07, recently changed user ID, less than 30 feedback, 1 item purchased in the last yr - a scabby single mattress!

What if I ignore him, wait till he opens a dispute for item not received.. can I then refund the money back minus the FVF and end it, or would Paypal go on until Ive refunded the whole amount?
Not sure why I have to lose £80 because hes behaving like a child going on and on at me trying to get his own way.

Nikki999

Member since 07, recently changed user ID, less than 30 feedback, 1 item … Member since 07, recently changed user ID, less than 30 feedback, 1 item purchased in the last yr - a scabby single mattress!What if I ignore him, wait till he opens a dispute for item not received.. can I then refund the money back minus the FVF and end it, or would Paypal go on until Ive refunded the whole amount? Not sure why I have to lose £80 because hes behaving like a child going on and on at me trying to get his own way.

Sounds like hacked account.
Can you get his details form ebay and ring him?.
If it is a hacked account, you will have more ammo for dealing with ebay. Good luck.
I called ebay, kept on and they've refunded the fvf as a goodwill gesture, I've refunded the guy and emailed to explain why im not going ahead (again!).

Out of curiosity (and whilst adding him to the block list) I looked at my buyer requirements log and the day before purchase, another member was blocked from buying because he/she lives overseas - the same place the guy wanted the courier to take it, so whilst it may not have been a scam it's still pretty cheeky!

Thanks for all your help.. Just need a cure for this headache now!
Gin and tonix chick.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants