eBay buyer making Fraudulent claim

Posted 7th Dec 2019Edited by:"mspychala"
I've sold a brand new Brompton bike on eBay
I've been warned about sending it to Countries like Indonesia or Italy.
These people will always make false insurance claim.
(that's coming from a guy that sells loads of these Bromptons on bay)

So since I had buyer with UK shipping address I didn't notice that the buyer is actually registered in Indonesia.

EDIT: The address is a forwarding company in Lancashire

Of course it's been almost a month since the buyer received the bike but this morning he is now claiming the bike arrived damaged.

How should I handle this?
The package was insured but I'm worried as with every insurance they might refuse to pay.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
The first thing to do is phone ebay and tell them that the return is not covered by buyer protection and ask them to close the return in your favour.

In your case, the buyer does not have any protection as the purchase in ineligible - the policy is here ebay.co.uk/hel…210
the relevant bit is:

Not covered

• Buyer's remorse or any reason other than not receiving an item or receiving an item that isn’t as described in the listing (see the seller's return policy for returns options)
  • Duplicate claims through other resolution methods
  • Items sent to another address after original delivery

• Have the policy open when you ring and keep referring to it and keep you discussion to the point.

• Finally if this doesnt work (though it should as that is the ebay policy) you are only required to provide a shipping label for the return from the UK, not internationally.

666FU07/12/2019 08:26

Maybe it was damaged in transit. Can't you ask them to return the item for …Maybe it was damaged in transit. Can't you ask them to return the item for a refund? You sound xenophobic to me!

I'm sure he is not xenophobic, quite an accusation! Better to advertise pick up only/cash on collection, I'm sure he wouldn't be scared of a foreigner coming to collect so long as his money was good.
18 Comments
Maybe it was damaged in transit. Can't you ask them to return the item for a refund? You sound xenophobic to me!
deleted1965997
You give shipping details and hope the insurance covers it.

FYI eBay never has the buyers side.
Examples:

I sold an item. The buyer messages me asking how I turn it on and where a connection goes. A week later the buyer messages saying it was never received. He got a full refund.

I sold a games console (for cheap). On my one screenshot it showed my account with e-games. The buyer complained a week or so later that none of the games were included and it was misleading. I explained that in my screenshot it was my account games just to show the console worked. The buyer got a full refund and return.

I sold a PS4 game. The buyer advised there was no disc. Buyer refunded.

I could go on. The customer service is shockingly poor and the staff are very rude. eBay needs to go.

Maybe it was damaged in transit. Can't you ask them to return the item for …Maybe it was damaged in transit. Can't you ask them to return the item for a refund? You sound xenophobic to me!

I'm sure he is not xenophobic, quite an accusation! Better to advertise pick up only/cash on collection, I'm sure he wouldn't be scared of a foreigner coming to collect so long as his money was good.
If the bike was sent to lancashire and no damage was reported at that stage, why should you be to blame for the buyers arrangement with a forwarding courier..
Tell the buyer they need to take up the issue with their forwarding company not you. It should be insured.

Presumable you have tracking and insurance to the Lancashire address you sent it too in case he continues the claim.

I would certainly ring eBay about this. As you believe the item arrived in good condition to the buyers address. Explain you believe they then forwarded to the buyer abroad and this is where the damaged happened and you can’t not be held responsible for that.

As far as you are concerned the item arrived at the address given on eBay in the correct condition. I would definitely fight this.
Request photos of the damaged parcel and the damage to the bike.Ask why it has taken them so long since delivery to put in a claim? Tell them without such proof you are unable to submit your own insurance claim. You may have to accept a return for a refund eventually but make them work for it.
So many people reporting bad experiences on Ebay. Makes you wonder why anyone uses it really. As had been said the damages was not retorted at delivery point, so you've fulfilled your part of the contract. If the forwarding agents received a damaged item they would report it immediately to save themselves from being liable. However, though this is logical, you ARE dealing with E Bay here.
The first thing to do is phone ebay and tell them that the return is not covered by buyer protection and ask them to close the return in your favour.

In your case, the buyer does not have any protection as the purchase in ineligible - the policy is here ebay.co.uk/hel…210
the relevant bit is:

Not covered

• Buyer's remorse or any reason other than not receiving an item or receiving an item that isn’t as described in the listing (see the seller's return policy for returns options)
  • Duplicate claims through other resolution methods
  • Items sent to another address after original delivery

• Have the policy open when you ring and keep referring to it and keep you discussion to the point.

• Finally if this doesnt work (though it should as that is the ebay policy) you are only required to provide a shipping label for the return from the UK, not internationally.

That is a ridiculous accusation to make!
.MUFC.07/12/2019 10:29

That is a ridiculous accusation to make!

Why? The OP is stating that people from Indonesia and Italy always make false insurance claims. I think you need to go look up what xenophobia means, you are probably getting confused with racism like most people do.
666FU07/12/2019 10:49

Why? The OP is stating that people from Indonesia and Italy always make …Why? The OP is stating that people from Indonesia and Italy always make false insurance claims. I think you need to go look up what xenophobia means, you are probably getting confused with racism like most people do.

Maybe the issue is the use of the word "always" in the phrase "These people will always make false insurance claim" that always (sic) has no exception, rather than alternatives of say "often", "frequently", etc? Regardless, the phrase is likely "always" rubbish in this context as the buyer is not making an insurance claim as the ebay protection is to ensure not to insure. HTH.
AndyRoyd07/12/2019 11:04

Maybe the issue is the use of the word "always" in the phrase "These …Maybe the issue is the use of the word "always" in the phrase "These people will always make false insurance claim" that always (sic) has no exception, rather than alternatives of say "often", "frequently", etc? Regardless, the phrase is likely "always" rubbish in this context as the buyer is not making an insurance claim as the ebay protection is to ensure not to insure. HTH.

Really terrible wording. So embarrassed. No excuse. I'm sorry.
deleted196599707/12/2019 08:31

FYI eBay never has the buyers side.

Did you mean "sellers" side? I thought a lot of these type of threads tend to say Ebay side with buyers first rather than sellers in a dispute?
@mspychala , when you say it's been almost a month since they received the bike - have you taken into account the travel time? As it went overseas, it could have been a while at the shipping address in the UK - then took a while to get to the buyer - hence they only just received it. A bit like when we here order from China/HK etc. It takes a while to arrive.

Have they sent you any details of the damage - i.e. get some pictures so you can identify the bike and see ACTUAL damage to it? I know it's very easy to cry "scammer" but it could be true and above board - and just like any buyer, they are trying to sort out a legitimate issue.

As someone else has correctly pointed out - the buyers 'problem' here is that they had it delivered to an intermediary so the issue 'could' be with this fact. True, it might have been damaged between your address and the intermediary but it would be their responsibility to report any damage and not send it on to the buyer. Therefore, the buyer's first port-of-call should be with this company - not you. It depends on what 'damage' they are claiming - damage "in transit" or damage to the bike that could have been present 'prior' to shipping?

I would approach Ebay with the issue and ask for their advice - pointing out that you shipped in perfect condition and were unaware that it would be going overseas. This might help your cause any case the buyer puts forward.

Kind regards, Phsy.
mspychala07/12/2019 11:13

mspychala07/12/2019 11:13

I really wouldn't feel bad about it, I'm sure most people read it as it was intended. I think it takes a special type of person to see your comment as xenophobic.
Edited by: "flipnfil" 7th Dec 2019
deleted1965997
Phsycronix07/12/2019 11:29

Did you mean "sellers" side? I thought a lot of these type of threads tend …Did you mean "sellers" side? I thought a lot of these type of threads tend to say Ebay side with buyers first rather than sellers in a dispute?

Sorry I meant the sellers side

Why? The OP is stating that people from Indonesia and Italy always make …Why? The OP is stating that people from Indonesia and Italy always make false insurance claims. I think you need to go look up what xenophobia means, you are probably getting confused with racism like most people do.

I read the op and didn't automatically assume they meant it in a derogative way. I can see your point though.

Nonsence, I won't sell to people in Scotland for the same reason. Issue is people think as we are so far away from them they can get away with conning you as you won't turn up on their doorstep.

should I guess by your responce that you are a liberal hippy?.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions