EXPIRED

Ebay buyer problem

Just after a bit of advice really.
Somebody won a very expensive item I was selling on ebay for 99p collection only - I have just received an e-mail from them saying a courier will pick the item up sometime tomorrow but they have no idea what time. So they have given me less than 24 hours notice of a courier collecting the item (which I never agreed to do as it isnt packaged securely) and are expecting me to wait in maybe all day for them to do so.
Is it me or is this really unacceptable? What would you advise I say to them?

31 Comments

advise them its not packaged. simple. they should of asked first if it was ok.

Original Poster

Im really worried that they will end up leaving me negative if I say that a courier cant collect

Was it described as item can be collected?
The price they won it at isnt relevant, thats chance you take putting it at a low start price.
I'd try & agree something with the buyer that is a time when suits both of you, asking you to stay in all day is a bit much
What kind of item was it ie - glass etc?

Original Poster

it was described as collection only

If no collection by courier was offered then tell them this wasnt agreed by prior arrangement and that its not acceptable as you cant wait in all day as it means time off work (even if you dont work).

Original Poster

Thanks so much Im just so stressed I couldnt think what to write, Rep has been left

Banned

I would refund the payment and open a NPB dispute and say they did not abide by your terms of sale. If they neg you, you can apply to have this removed.
They are taking the perverbial and should of asked you. Email then and tell them the listing was collection only, you cannot send by courier as you don't have time to wait in and the item is not suitably packaged. Apologise and state they should of asked first before ignoring the terms of the listing.
In the meantime if they leave a neg, leave a follow up such as...................
Refunded, sorry listing did state no delivery, please ask BEFORE bidding.
By the time it's dealt with anyone will see the neg for what it is, a numpty buyer.

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;4777488

I would refund the payment and open a NPB dispute and say they did not … I would refund the payment and open a NPB dispute and say they did not abide by your terms of sale. If they neg you, you can apply to have this removed.They are taking the perverbial and should of asked you. Email then and tell them the listing was collection only, you cannot send by courier as you don't have time to wait in and the item is not suitably packaged. Apologise and state they should of asked first before ignoring the terms of the listing.In the meantime if they leave a neg, leave a follow up such as...................Refunded, sorry listing did state no delivery, please ask BEFORE bidding.By the time it's dealt with anyone will see the neg for what it is, a numpty buyer.

Thats so helpful thanks.

Do you think it is acceptable to offer to refund their money minus the fees I have incurred?

No - 'they are willing to pay for a courier - you are panicking 'cos they got it for 99p and now you're trying to get out of it - it's obvious the person wants to collect right away before you try and say it's broken etc and want to refund his money knowing that you have undersold it

Banned

hunter82;4777559

Thats so helpful thanks. Do you think it is acceptable to offer to refund … Thats so helpful thanks. Do you think it is acceptable to offer to refund their money minus the fees I have incurred?

No, I would just refund it. Depends how you play it, you could ask the to go for a mutual withdrawal. Basically you will get a credit for you fees.
Explain to them, the listing was collection only as you have no suitable packaging for a courier. You also won't be available, so you would like to withdraw from the transaction.
Apologise (although it's not your fault) and ask if they could mutually withdraw from the transaction.
This is done through the pp console. If not the just refund them the whole amount, pp would do this anyway if you don't send, and open up a full NPB dispute,explaining to ebay they did not comply with the listing.

Banned

sn0ttyang3l;4777598

No - 'they are willing to pay for a courier - you are panicking 'cos they … No - 'they are willing to pay for a courier - you are panicking 'cos they got it for 99p and now you're trying to get out of it - it's obvious the person wants to collect right away before you try and say it's broken etc and want to refund his money knowing that you have undersold it

No, if the listing said collection only the buyer is bang out of order booking a courier and telling the seller to wait in all day, without asking.

Quote that from ebays on t&c's under malicious bidding if they get funny.

Sellers are permitted to exclude bidders at any time prior to the listing close and are free to cancel unwelcome bids. After a seller has cancelled a bid, the bidder may not place a new bid without the seller's permission. Buyers who do not meet the seller’s terms as outlined in the item listing are also not permitted to bid on or buy the item.

stick it on the doorstep for the courier to collect, it cant be anything that good if it sold for 99p

tinkerbell28;4777616

No, if the listing said collection only the buyer is bang out of order … No, if the listing said collection only the buyer is bang out of order booking a courier and telling the seller to wait in all day, without asking.

i'd agree if the op hadn't mentioned the fact that her expensive item only went for 99p. now it sounds as if the courier collecting it is a ready made excuse not to go through with the sale.

If it then gets relisted and goes for a similar price what excuse will the op not have for selling it this time.

the buyer should've asked if it was ok for a courier to collect it before arranging it but I suspect that even if they had arranged a perfectly arranged time etc then something would've come up preventing the sale from going through.

when you do relist be sure and make your listing totally clear and start it at a price you'd happily accept.

Whats the item number?

Banned

ants97;4777658

i'd agree if the op hadn't mentioned the fact that her expensive item … i'd agree if the op hadn't mentioned the fact that her expensive item only went for 99p. now it sounds as if the courier collecting it is a ready made excuse not to go through with the sale.If it then gets relisted and goes for a similar price what excuse will the op not have for selling it this time. the buyer should've asked if it was ok for a courier to collect it before arranging it but I suspect that even if they had arranged a perfectly arranged time etc then something would've come up preventing the sale from going through. when you do relist be sure and make your listing totally clear and start it at a price you'd happily accept.

I agree, and think you could be right. Unfortunately its neither here nor there, if the listing was collection only, the buyer was out of order and the seller has full rights to cancel the sale.
I would say though OP, when you relist, maybe use a BIN or start the bidding at the minimum you are prepared to accept. If you can find packaging for it in the mean time, you will get far more, if you can deliver.

ants97;4777658

i'd agree if the op hadn't mentioned the fact that her expensive item … i'd agree if the op hadn't mentioned the fact that her expensive item only went for 99p. now it sounds as if the courier collecting it is a ready made excuse not to go through with the sale.If it then gets relisted and goes for a similar price what excuse will the op not have for selling it this time. the buyer should've asked if it was ok for a courier to collect it before arranging it but I suspect that even if they had arranged a perfectly arranged time etc then something would've come up preventing the sale from going through. when you do relist be sure and make your listing totally clear and start it at a price you'd happily accept.

Exactly why in post 3 i said the price was not important ...sounds like a seller trying to get out of selling it for such a low price

I'm on the sellers side on this one. If the seller wanted the inconvenience of packaging the item and staying in for a courier (or taking item to the post office) - they probably would have got a great deal more money if they had said they were willing to post. The buyer has taken advantage of the "collection only" restriction. If they had asked first that would have been okay but they didn't - so they haven't complied with the sellers instructions.

For all we know it could be a table - would you be willing to package a table for 99p when you had said collection only?

gari189;4777953

I'm on the sellers side on this one. If the seller wanted the … I'm on the sellers side on this one. If the seller wanted the inconvenience of packaging the item and staying in for a courier (or taking item to the post office) - they probably would have got a great deal more money if they had said they were willing to post. The buyer has taken advantage of the "collection only" restriction. If they had asked first that would have been okay but they didn't - so they haven't complied with the sellers instructions.For all we know it could be a table - would you be willing to package a table for 99p when you had said collection only?

That's my take on it too. I know the sort of bargains you can get 'collection only' :lol:

Banned

Wenchybev;4777951

Exactly why in post 3 i said the price was not important ...sounds like a … Exactly why in post 3 i said the price was not important ...sounds like a seller trying to get out of selling it for such a low price

It's irrelevant, the buyer is out of order not agreeing to the lisitng and I stand by my statement as the situation stands the buyer is in the wrong not the seller. Ebay would see it like this too.

gari189;4777953

I'm on the sellers side on this one. If the seller wanted the … I'm on the sellers side on this one. If the seller wanted the inconvenience of packaging the item and staying in for a courier (or taking item to the post office) - they probably would have got a great deal more money if they had said they were willing to post. The buyer has taken advantage of the "collection only" restriction. If they had asked first that would have been okay but they didn't - so they haven't complied with the sellers instructions.For all we know it could be a table - would you be willing to package a table for 99p when you had said collection only?

I agree. The point is they have ignored the listing, seller is within their rights to refund and open a NPB dipute.

Original Poster

I genuinely am not upset byt the fact it sold for 99p I would have set a reserve if I was (it is a brand new radiator by the way) but I can see how that looked, price is irrelevant so I shouldnt have even mentioned that bit. I have difficulty trying to explain what I mean sometimes.

I have hopefully got this sorted now and have agreed to leave the item outside for the courier as I wont be home.
I really do appreciate all your help and advice, thank you

Banned

hunter82;4778226

I genuinely am not upset byt the fact it sold for 99p I would have set a … I genuinely am not upset byt the fact it sold for 99p I would have set a reserve if I was (it is a brand new radiator by the way) but I can see how that looked, price is irrelevant so I shouldnt have even mentioned that bit. I have difficulty trying to explain what I mean sometimes.I have hopefully got this sorted now and have agreed to leave the item outside for the courier as I wont be home.I really do appreciate all your help and advice, thank you

You should not of felt pressurised into sending it hun. I would of refunded, done the dispute and relisted as delivery available. You would of got much more for it that way. You buyer has took the mick in all honesty:friends:

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;4778255

You should not of felt pressurised into sending it hun. I would of … You should not of felt pressurised into sending it hun. I would of refunded, done the dispute and relisted as delivery available. You would of got much more for it that way. You buyer has took the mick in all honesty:friends:

Thanks tinks. I have told the buyer I will not be held liable for any damages. It's stressed me out so much I wouldn't even want to relist it theyre welcome to it :lol:

to be fair you say you listed it as collection only and it is going to be collected, just not the way you hoped!

glad my idea worked for you though

tinkerbell28;4778255

You should not of felt pressurised into sending it hun. I would of … You should not of felt pressurised into sending it hun. I would of refunded, done the dispute and relisted as delivery available. You would of got much more for it that way. You buyer has took the mick in all honesty:friends:

by then doing that all your doing is confirming the only reason that it was cancelled was due to the low price recieved. might be fine with ebay but its not exactly cricket is it and its exactly this type of thing that gets ebay a bad name and forces ebay to come down hard on genuine sellers with crazy rule changes.

hopefully thats it now sorted and the thing gets there in one piece but I've got a funny feeling that the buyer won't be happy. he seems the sort that will nitpick at something.

anyway its only ebay so I wouldn't worry about it.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

ants97;4778480

by then doing that all your doing is confirming the only reason that it … by then doing that all your doing is confirming the only reason that it was cancelled was due to the low price recieved. might be fine with ebay but its not exactly cricket is it and its exactly this type of thing that gets ebay a bad name and forces ebay to come down hard on genuine sellers with crazy rule changes. hopefully thats it now sorted and the thing gets there in one piece but I've got a funny feeling that the buyer won't be happy. he seems the sort that will nitpick at something. anyway its only ebay so I wouldn't worry about it.:thumbsup:

Oooh no dont say that lol.
They already left me feeback too which I found strange

ants97;4777658

If the boot was on the other foot, would you wait in all day for someone else's courier, regardless of the amount it sold for? I know I wouldn't and I wouldn't expect any of my sellers to either so would never ask this in the first place, let alone assume it without contact. As Tinkerbell says, probably best to cancel it as the rules haven't been followed, or get in touch first saying this is what you are going to do unless they arrange to collect it themselves at a set time (or can arrange for the courier to do this).

hunter82;4778594

Oooh no dont say that lol.They already left me feeback too which I found … Oooh no dont say that lol.They already left me feeback too which I found strange

That is strange, but if they've already left you feedback I shouldn't worry about anything from now on.

Original Poster

Annie1508;4778636

That is strange, but if they've already left you feedback I shouldn't … That is strange, but if they've already left you feedback I shouldn't worry about anything from now on.

thank you annie

Annie1508;4778609

If the boot was on the other foot, would you wait in all day for someone … If the boot was on the other foot, would you wait in all day for someone else's courier, regardless of the amount it sold for? I know I wouldn't and I wouldn't expect any of my sellers to either so would never ask this in the first place, let alone assume it without contact. As Tinkerbell says, probably best to cancel it as the rules haven't been followed, or get in touch first saying this is what you are going to do unless they arrange to collect it themselves at a set time (or can arrange for the courier to do this).

I already said the buyer should've asked first.

Banned

ants97;4778480

by then doing that all your doing is confirming the only reason that it … by then doing that all your doing is confirming the only reason that it was cancelled was due to the low price recieved. might be fine with ebay but its not exactly cricket is it and its exactly this type of thing that gets ebay a bad name and forces ebay to come down hard on genuine sellers with crazy rule changes. hopefully thats it now sorted and the thing gets there in one piece but I've got a funny feeling that the buyer won't be happy. he seems the sort that will nitpick at something. anyway its only ebay so I wouldn't worry about it.:thumbsup:

No the fact is if the op had listed it as delivery available, they would of got much more money possibly and could of costed in packaging costs
It would of been fair in this instance as a buyer has taken advantage of a collection only lisitng.
I dislike sellers who pull out of sales as the item did not reach a fair price, in this case though it would of been justified.

Banned

Thread closed, thanks for the report OP.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
  1. Sad news about Barcelona2078
  2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846125
  3. A Nigerian prince and bit coins scam33
  4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764100

See more discussions