Found 23rd Nov 2009
So i sold a phone on ebay and i get a email 3 days later saying the following....

Hi, Even though the phone was advertised as unlocked and this may be true it does not have the vodafone settings on the phone. My friend has the same phone and it came with the settings on. Therefore ive done some researched and found im fully right ro a refund as youve not advertised it correctly.

Im no genious but im sure its not upto me to put settings on a phone before sending it off?? Ive asked them to get the settings from vodafone and sent them a link on how to do this easily. Yet there not having any of it and want a refund. Im now waiting for a paypal dispute which i wll lose and a negative feedback. What else can i do to pursuade them its not my problem without them getting annoyed with my responce and neggin me?

Sick of ebay.

1. Misc
  2. Movie
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Movie
31 Comments

report him to paypal before he does this to you?

Banned

give him a refund

Get them to return the phone (at their expense) for a full refund, and relist it again.
Or go with the ebay dispute and see what happens, the guy sounds like a right muppet and ebay may well see sense for once.

surely if its advertised as unlocked you dont have to provide any settings cause it can be used on any network lol plus like you say its a easy thing to do for free so surely paypal wouldnt accept the case if you explained that if he disputes?

item number?

Original Poster

Babbabooey;6977081

Get them to return the phone (at their expense) for a full refund, and … Get them to return the phone (at their expense) for a full refund, and relist it again.

Thats exactly what it says in my terms on auction. If its not down to me then i dont refund p+p either way. If its my problem then i refund p+p.

Just if they go through paypal then paypal automatically give back there postage leaving me out of pocket £7+ just because they dont want to put the settings on the phone themself.

Sounds like an absolute f'ing idiot who should have done their homework before bidding. Does he want you to complete his homework and spoonfeed him too?

Good luck mate, looks like I'm not the only one dealing with an idiot on ebay today.

If You Decide On Letting Him Return It Tell Him That You Have The Serial Number Of The Phone(the Embossed One )in Case He Sends You A Busted One Back

THINK SMART
THINK EBAY
THINK CON

Considering Voda can text him the setting for free he's playing silly bu%%ers.

No sim free phones come with any network setting, you always have to get them yourself. . .

Original Poster

raptorcigs;6977170

If You Decide On Letting Him Return It Tell Him That You Have The Serial … If You Decide On Letting Him Return It Tell Him That You Have The Serial Number Of The Phone(the Embossed One )in Case He Sends You A Busted One Back

I always take a picture if a serialised item(of the s/n) before sending it.

Its a girl so im guessing less likely to try send a busted phone back.

But ive had a idiot try do this to me before hence wy i started taking down s/n's

J4GG4;6977193

I always take a picture if a serialised item(of the s/n) before sending … I always take a picture if a serialised item(of the s/n) before sending it.Its a girl so im guessing less likely to try send a busted phone back.But ive had a idiot try do this to me before hence wy i started taking down s/n's

GOOD MAN:thumbsup:

Banned

Phone ebay now

No sim free phones come with any network setting, you always have to get them yourself. . .

^^ If that is the case, go down the paypal dispute route, send them this info, you should win the outcome

Banned

why would he think it had vodafone settings on anyway?
Just put your side in the dispute console (ie wasn't advertised with vodafone settings and can be obtained from voda free of charge) and you have a fair chance of winning

Original Poster

ARRRGHHH this is soo frustrating in trying to explain to the girl

She said shes gone into a orange shop and they told her unlocked and sim free are 2 different things (correct) but they said sim free means it comes with settings all on.

What she is complaining about is it doesnt have not just the vodafone settings but also the vodafone theme with hot keys such as vodafone live..ect on it.

I'm so sick of eBay

I've listed my phone three times now, and each time some bogus zero feedback buyer bids last, and surprise surprise drops out.

While im on the subject is there any way I can prevent such people from bidding on my items?

Original Poster

hdizzle;6978443

I'm so sick of eBayI've listed my phone three times now, and each time … I'm so sick of eBayI've listed my phone three times now, and each time some bogus zero feedback buyer bids last, and surprise surprise drops out. While im on the subject is there any way I can prevent such people from bidding on my items?

Yes there is in 'my ebay' theres settings to stop zero feedback ebayers and also can stop international buyers bidding.

J4GG4;6978413

ARRRGHHH this is soo frustrating in trying to explain to the girlShe said … ARRRGHHH this is soo frustrating in trying to explain to the girlShe said shes gone into a orange shop and they told her unlocked and sim free are 2 different things (correct) but they said sim free means it comes with settings all on.What she is complaining about is it doesnt have not just the vodafone settings but also the vodafone theme with hot keys such as vodafone live..ect on it.

Hence why eBay has a "ask the seller" function :roll: To find out if the product has a feature :w00t:

Bloody muppets on eBay, i try not to use it if I have too .... Most of them seem to either can't read, can't tell the truth or just want to scam you :roll:

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;6978486

Tbh she sounds a buit on the dizzy side and unlocked phone without … Tbh she sounds a buit on the dizzy side and unlocked phone without network specific buttons she should of bought a voda handset :roll:You would win a dispute as it stands now if you worded it correctly and clearly it's exactly as described, i would however with something of value just refund upon return as there is the risk of the item being deliberately damaged to claim a SNAD..............................

The only thing i didnt word correctly was i said it was Unlocked / sim free
which she is right in both being 2 different things unlocked means it used to be on a network but now its not and sim free means it has always been this way from out the factory therefore has no branding on. Still they both effectively mean the same thing and both unlocked and sim free doesnt mean it comes with vodafone branding or settings on and that is her arguement.

hdizzle;6978443

I'm so sick of eBayI've listed my phone three times now, and each time … I'm so sick of eBayI've listed my phone three times now, and each time some bogus zero feedback buyer bids last, and surprise surprise drops out. While im on the subject is there any way I can prevent such people from bidding on my items?

Go to My eBay.
Click the Account tab, and then click the Site Preferences link in the left navigation.
In the Selling Preferences section, scroll to Buyer requirements, and then click the Show link.
Click the Edit link.

Banned

faevilangel;6978501

Bloody muppets on eBay, .... Most of them seem to either can't read, … Bloody muppets on eBay, .... Most of them seem to either can't read, can't tell the truth or just want to scam you :roll:

Sounds a bit like here then (allegedly!):p:p

guv;6978604

Sounds a bit like here then (allegedly!):p:p

Never had a problem on here, :thumbsup: 73 + sales so far

J4GG4;6978484

Yes there is in 'my ebay' theres settings to stop zero feedback ebayers … Yes there is in 'my ebay' theres settings to stop zero feedback ebayers and also can stop international buyers bidding.

faevilangel;6978542

Go to My eBay.Click the Account tab, and then click the Site Preferences … Go to My eBay.Click the Account tab, and then click the Site Preferences link in the left navigation.In the Selling Preferences section, scroll to Buyer requirements, and then click the Show link.Click the Edit link.

but, it only lets me block buyers with a negative feedback score, the idiots bidding on my items have a zero score. any way round this guys?

cheers for your help

Banned

faevilangel;6978657

Never had a problem on here, :thumbsup: 73 + sales so far

I did say allegedly! I read about scammers all the time on here!

hdizzle;6978663

but, it only lets me block buyers with a negative feedback score, the … but, it only lets me block buyers with a negative feedback score, the idiots bidding on my items have a zero score. any way round this guys?cheers for your help

Yeah, set the buyer requirements to have a credit card on file, :thumbsup:

There is no a lot more you can do for zero buyers, as everyone has to start somewhere :whistling:

Might not be fair but you are technically in the wrong. Paypal will not side with you.

"Get them to return the phone (at their expense) for a full refund, and relist it again." They wouldn't pay for shipping when it is your fault if you demand they ship without you paying for it, they will win the paypal claim (keep the phone and money) and you will get nothing.

electriclinux;6978744

Might not be fair but you are technically in the wrong. Paypal will not … Might not be fair but you are technically in the wrong. Paypal will not side with you."Get them to return the phone (at their expense) for a full refund, and relist it again." They wouldn't pay for shipping when it is your fault if you demand they ship without you paying for it, they will win the paypal claim (keep the phone and money) and you will get nothing.

alledgely, to get a paypal refund, you need to provide a tracking # for the item

That's what i have read, as I have never had to send something back

faevilangel;6978774

alledgely, to get a paypal refund, you need to provide a tracking # for … alledgely, to get a paypal refund, you need to provide a tracking # for the itemThat's what i have read, as I have never had to send something back

That is true, however a seller has to pay for return posting or they lose the money and item.

Banned

electriclinux;6978744

Might not be fair but you are technically in the wrong. Paypal will not … Might not be fair but you are technically in the wrong. Paypal will not side with you."Get them to return the phone (at their expense) for a full refund, and relist it again." They wouldn't pay for shipping when it is your fault if you demand they ship without you paying for it, they will win the paypal claim (keep the phone and money) and you will get nothing.

How is the OP in the wrong? If it wasn't advertised with vodafone settings then how can the buyer expect it to have them?

colinsunderland;6981271

How is the OP in the wrong? If it wasn't advertised with vodafone … How is the OP in the wrong? If it wasn't advertised with vodafone settings then how can the buyer expect it to have them?

Oh I was making a joke about how paypal says the buyer is always right. Sorry I know sarcasm isn't easy to read in text. :oops:

You're basically screwed if it goes to eBay/Paypal - their policy always puts the buyer first.
Get the phone sent back to you ASAP, otherwise you risk losing the phone and the money due to the awful Buyer Protection which results in sellers being left completely exposed.

If you do it mutually, you can also cancel the sale and get your eBay fees back too, ready for a relisting.

Ideally you could just ask the buyer for a phone number that you ca send the settings to via the Vodafone site, but sounds like the muppet is just looking for an excuse to return the phone so this probably won't work.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition56526
    2. Free money and competition entry @ Circle45
    3. Free flights to Europe712
    4. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)44

See more discussions