eBay buyer saying item broke , proof it’s a lie

Posted 9th Jul
Had a return today saying item is damaged they sent me pics but I’ve examined them and they sent me a pic of the damage but I’m one of the pics they took at a funny angle there is no damage !

How can I play this one as it’s £200
3502564.jpg
3502564.jpg
Buyer has 2 feedback and has opened a return as damaged , I think the have broken it them self
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
ashmac09/07/2020 17:47

Would be easier for me to take a £40 hit then pay postage again and then …Would be easier for me to take a £40 hit then pay postage again and then resell for lower price and pay more postage

When I was getting scammed I googled the nearest army base and said my brother is in the army nearby, he can collect item and refund you
I never heard anything else from them for some reason
sicklysweet09/07/2020 18:41

Tbh I wouldn’t let on. Still ask for them. Call their bluff

Sold an expensive keyboard on ebay a while back and he emailed me 3 weeks later to say there is a fault and wanted to return. I didn't have serial number but I still asked him to send me a photo of the serial no. before returning.

Not heard from him since.
Edited by: "Speculator" 9th Jul
61 Comments
Did you take pictures before you sent it to prove the damage wasnt there before?
You have said item returned undamaged?
Not easy to tell from the pics what the item is or how big it is. If it's been damaged in transit then presumably you would have a claim against Royal Mail or whoever delivered it. I think you are entitled to ask the buyer to return it, but unsure where ebay would stand on who should pay the postage.

In most cases, ebay will side with the buyer so tread carefully.
Deal.hunter12309/07/2020 16:32

Did you take pictures before you sent it to prove the damage wasnt there …Did you take pictures before you sent it to prove the damage wasnt there before?

It’s was new sealed
It’s a pool heater , was in a box with packing supports around it , they got them item today and said it’s not new and it’s been used and it’s damaged so they don’t want it
There is nothing you can do. ebay will force returns even if you have proof.
Edited by: "Love__Bargains" 9th Jul
Love__Bargains09/07/2020 16:45

There is nothing you can do. ebay will force returns even if you have …There is nothing you can do. ebay will force returns even if you have proof.

Ye thought that , il offer partial refund to the price of a used heater , save all the messing .

Should I send me evidence I the buyer and spook them ?????
I started selling a few things on eBay recently so far had 3 returns all for made up reasons. I had to pay for them to return and also refund them the original postage cost.
eBay are no help, they told me there’s no way around it as it’s not as described. They don’t believe sellers.
Tom464609/07/2020 17:00

I started selling a few things on eBay recently so far had 3 returns all …I started selling a few things on eBay recently so far had 3 returns all for made up reasons. I had to pay for them to return and also refund them the original postage cost. eBay are no help, they told me there’s no way around it as it’s not as described. They don’t believe sellers.

Well I’ve had three returns and refund in
month getting abit I annoying now .

One person I let them keep the item and it was £50
ashmac09/07/2020 17:05

Well I’ve had three returns and refund in month getting abit I annoying n …Well I’ve had three returns and refund in month getting abit I annoying now .One person I let them keep the item and it was £50

I know. I am thinking about stopping eBay, it is very annoying when I am very honest about the items.
Make sure you get your one back and not swapped for their faulty old one.
ashmac09/07/2020 16:51

Ye thought that , il offer partial refund to the price of a used heater , …Ye thought that , il offer partial refund to the price of a used heater , save all the messing . Should I send me evidence I the buyer and spook them ?????

I’d ask for more photos detailing the damage and stated signs of use.

Did you take a photo of the serial number before you sent it? Ask if they can get a photo showing both the damage and the serial number at the same time. If you ask politely and kindly no one should have any reason to deny the request.

I’d be polite but firm.

Ask about the damage, and how it affects the product. Could it be one of those plastic coverings that you remove rather then damage?

I’d tread carefully as they may be trying to pull a fast one and get a partial refund and product on the cheap, but it may also be a genuine issue.

Photos are your friend!
Edited by: "sicklysweet" 9th Jul
Probably someone has damaged theirs and is swapping old for new and you are the victim unfortunately. EBay is just a cesspit
sicklysweet09/07/2020 17:19

I’d ask for more photos detailing the damage and stated signs of use. Did y …I’d ask for more photos detailing the damage and stated signs of use. Did you take a photo of the serial number before you sent it? Ask if they can get a photo showing both the damage and the serial number at the same time. If you ask politely and kindly no one should have any reason to deny the request.I’d be polite but firm.Ask about the damage, and how it affects the product. Could it be one of those plastic coverings that you remove rather then damage?I’d tread carefully as they may be trying to pull a fast one and get a partial refund and product on the cheap, but it may also be a genuine issue.Photos are your friend!

The item was sealed and new so I couldn’t get the serial number which is a bummer , they did send a lot of pics .

There main issue is it’s not new and it shows signs of use .

They message me and said they will see if it works and take it from there
Pretty sure you can set listings so that people with less than 5 feedback (for example) aren't able to bid or buy them. I know not all new ebayers are dodgy but I'll bet a large percentage of problem cases and complaints involve people using new-ish accounts set up specifically to scam people with.
Would be easier for me to take a £40 hit then pay postage again and then resell for lower price and pay more postage
ashmac09/07/2020 17:05

Well I’ve had three returns and refund in month getting abit I annoying n …Well I’ve had three returns and refund in month getting abit I annoying now .One person I let them keep the item and it was £50

I’d never do that, it just encourages them

Would be easier for me to take a £40 hit then pay postage again and then …Would be easier for me to take a £40 hit then pay postage again and then resell for lower price and pay more postage

When I was getting scammed I googled the nearest army base and said my brother is in the army nearby, he can collect item and refund you
I never heard anything else from them for some reason
deleted2512149

Will they agree to a £40 refund? If they're saying it's damaged/used I'd imagine they're aiming for more than a £40 deduction
Tom464609/07/2020 17:11

I know. I am thinking about stopping eBay, it is very annoying when I am …I know. I am thinking about stopping eBay, it is very annoying when I am very honest about the items.

Sadly there are chancers out there,I've had a couple.
deleted251214909/07/2020 18:03

Will they agree to a £40 refund? If they're saying it's damaged/used I'd …Will they agree to a £40 refund? If they're saying it's damaged/used I'd imagine they're aiming for more than a £40 deduction

No , they sell for £180 used . So annoying as I’ve sold loads today and all the money is - £ in my PayPal
ashmac09/07/2020 17:42

The item was sealed and new so I couldn’t get the serial number which is a …The item was sealed and new so I couldn’t get the serial number which is a bummer , they did send a lot of pics .There main issue is it’s not new and it shows signs of use .They message me and said they will see if it works and take it from there

ashmac09/07/2020 18:05

No , they sell for £180 used . So annoying as I’ve sold loads today and al …No , they sell for £180 used . So annoying as I’ve sold loads today and all the money is - £ in my PayPal

Sorry to hear the hassle. I hope you get it resolved. I would suggest leaving the money available in the PayPal account for now, and contacting PayPal to tell them your concerns.
chunk198509/07/2020 17:41

Probably someone has damaged theirs and is swapping old for new and you …Probably someone has damaged theirs and is swapping old for new and you are the victim unfortunately. EBay is just a cesspit

This is why you need to push for serial numbers (just blag it even if you don’t have them).
snoopy1809/07/2020 18:00

When I was getting scammed I googled the nearest army base and said my …When I was getting scammed I googled the nearest army base and said my brother is in the army nearby, he can collect item and refund you I never heard anything else from them for some reason

Haha..... genius !!!
Edited by: "chunk1985" 9th Jul
sicklysweet09/07/2020 18:41

Sold an expensive keyboard on ebay a while back and he emailed me 3 weeks later to say there is a fault and wanted to return. I didn't have serial number but I still asked him to send me a photo of the serial no. before returning.

Not heard from him since.
to op, maybe set price £40 higher on Buy it now and ask for offers. If someone with low feedback makes an offer, reject. If he buys it even though price is £40 higher, cancel order and refund.
snoopy1809/07/2020 18:00

When I was getting scammed I googled the nearest army base and said my …When I was getting scammed I googled the nearest army base and said my brother is in the army nearby, he can collect item and refund you I never heard anything else from them for some reason

would be better to google the nearest prison and say that your brother is coming out today, so you will ask him to pick it up for you
Speculator09/07/2020 18:58

Sold an expensive keyboard on ebay a while back and he emailed me 3 weeks …Sold an expensive keyboard on ebay a while back and he emailed me 3 weeks later to say there is a fault and wanted to return. I didn't have serial number but I still asked him to send me a photo of the serial no. before returning.Not heard from him since.

Will try this
ashmac09/07/2020 19:28

Will try this

I’ve known you long enough on here to have complete faith you’re a decent guy and aren’t the dodgy one in this.

You deserve better.

Soak up the advice on here and hopefully it’ll help.
Should ask her why one pic it’s not damaged and the next pic it is damaged ?
And I would remove the photos from the OP as the buyer may see this, or some weirdo Hukkers may look up the sale & stalk your eBay profile
ashmac09/07/2020 19:39

Should ask her why one pic it’s not damaged and the next pic it is damaged …Should ask her why one pic it’s not damaged and the next pic it is damaged ?

I would be more succinct.

Ask for photos of the damage that include the serial number.

Ask for photos that show it’s been used.

Don’t be too aggressive with the wording is my recommendation, but be very firm and act like you know what you’re both doing and implying.
sicklysweet09/07/2020 19:44

I would be more succinct. Ask for photos of the damage that include the …I would be more succinct. Ask for photos of the damage that include the serial number. Ask for photos that show it’s been used.Don’t be too aggressive with the wording is my recommendation, but be very firm and act like you know what you’re both doing and implying.

She sent photos with the return request,
41344686-kVGDl.jpg

41344686-ZWRQI.jpg
This is my gripe this pic she took there is not damage , she’s saying the badge is broke ! Look at the B it’s still fully intact .

Then she send this pic with the B missing and the top smashed off !
41344686-1sn7A.jpg
She also said the instructions are not new and the creased !

I got it from very.co.uk I’ve looked at other ones on eBay and mine was sealed the exact same way so it has not been opened since it was made .

Message form buyer description of return

Hi ***
I’m sorry but this item received is below standard, and not new as described and the basis on which I made this purchase from you. The Bestway sticker is off from the machine, and there are several deep scratches. The instruction manual has clearly been used before. I’m not happy purchasing this item, as it’s not as expected nor described.

Hi ****

I’m really disappointed too, there old debris stuck to the back of the sticker that’s come away. It’s definitely not new.

Give me a day to test to see if it even works as you’ve asked and we can go from there.
Edited by: "ashmac" 9th Jul
ashmac09/07/2020 19:47

She sent photos with the return request, [Image] [Image] This is my gripe …She sent photos with the return request, [Image] [Image] This is my gripe this pic she took there is not damage , she’s saying the badge is broke ! Look at the B it’s still fully intact .Then she send this pic with the B missing and the top smashed off ![Image]

I can’t see any damage?!
ashmac09/07/2020 19:47

She also said the instructions are not new and the creased ! I …She also said the instructions are not new and the creased ! I got it from very.co.uk I’ve looked at other ones on eBay and mine was sealed the exact same way so it has not been opened since it was made .Message form buyer description of return Hi *** I’m sorry but this item received is below standard, and not new as described and the basis on which I made this purchase from you. The Bestway sticker is off from the machine, and there are several deep scratches. The instruction manual has clearly been used before. I’m not happy purchasing this item, as it’s not as expected nor described.Hi ****I’m really disappointed too, there old debris stuck to the back of the sticker that’s come away. It’s definitely not new. Give me a day to test to see if it even works as you’ve asked and we can go from there.

So they say there’s no sticker and then they say there’s stuff stuck to the sticker?!
Best way badge at the top is there in one pic and the next snapped of the top is missing
How much was postage?

Mention the serial numbers to her initially and ask her not to use it if she isn’t happy, and instead return it (as you won’t be able to resell it as new if they use it).

It must be returned in the same state in which she received it so using it is unacceptable in my opinion.

It won’t take 2 days to plug it in and see if it functions. And it’s not like it’s an ornament on your kitchen table, tbh a few scratches isn’t the end of the world for what it is (my opinion if I was a buyer and seller).
sicklysweet09/07/2020 19:57

How much was postage?Mention the serial numbers to her initially and ask …How much was postage?Mention the serial numbers to her initially and ask her not to use it if she isn’t happy, and instead return it (as you won’t be able to resell it as new if they use it). It must be returned in the same state in which she received it so using it is unacceptable in my opinion.It won’t take 2 days to plug it in and see if it functions. And it’s not like it’s an ornament on your kitchen table, tbh a few scratches isn’t the end of the world for what it is (my opinion if I was a buyer and seller).

£15 parcel 48 , I’ve messaged and asked for the serial number and the damaged as I ask for this on all high value returns .

So I should say rerun it and don’t try it . I’ve sent her partial refund request now so I’m
Stuck ! Until she decides what to do .

Jumped the gun there dam
It
Post a comment
@
    Text