Expired

ebay buyer wants a return

Found 28th Sep 2013
I sold a non working laptop for spares/parts, clearly stated that the screen doesn't work and hardrive not included. The buyer has messaged me saying he wants a refund/return. I'm a new seller, bought stuff but never really sold, so paypal have withheld the money for I think 21 days. Where do I stand in this case? What shall I do?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
Surely he has a right to return his items? He just won't be refunded for postage and package.
Did he give a reason? What return policy did you have?
If you buy a item as spares or repairs you can't expect a refund
Thats what I thought 'emodan', he said because he can't fix it, he wants a refund. My return policy was 'no returns'. Confusing especially as its my first time selling.
If you buy anything you can ask for a refund. Maybe they were wrong spare parts? I still see nothing in him asking. I wouldn't refund p&p though as it's not a fault or wrong item etc.
Hmm if you stated no refunds and there was no fault your end , I would say you would be ok assuming he bought exactly what he expected and what you advertised.
state clearly that you are because you (the seller) is not at fault (the item is as described) and your policy is no returns, the buyer will not be getting a refund.
If paypal force you to give a refund just be aware that the buyer may not send the broken laptop back, they can send any old shizzle, so be careful when you sign for any parcel that you may think is the returned laptop and feel for the weight and size. Some postman may let you open it before signing by put that is unusual.
On eBay stating 'no refunds' is pointless as it is never taken into account. If the buyer opens a dispute, eBay will tell the buyer to return the item recorded delivery and when proof of postage is given, eBay will refund the buyer.

But, they may not rule in favour of the buyer in this case if you put the listing as spares/repairs rather than 'used'.
dav465

If you buy anything you can ask for a refund. Maybe they were wrong spare … If you buy anything you can ask for a refund. Maybe they were wrong spare parts? I still see nothing in him asking. I wouldn't refund p&p though as it's not a fault or wrong item etc.

Anyone can 'ask' for a refund, whether or not they will get one is another question.

Personally if it was spares or repair, then I am assuming it was an auction style, if this is the case, then I am pretty certain PayPal will back you in this case, hold on for a bit, see what PayPal do, why should he have the chance to buy the item, see if he can repair it and end up with an item worth more, then decide he doesn't want to and send it back? Not fair if you ask me.
thanks for the advice guys! Not fair that he bought it, couldn't do what he wanted it to do and and trying to get a refund. Hope it all turns out ok!
What has the buyer stated as a reason for return - item not as described? - or what.

I would refuse the refund and discuss with EBay, not the buyer.

If the item is returned in the end do as Mark2111 says and check the contents carefully. The buyer may have removed or swapped a part to fix his laptop.
He said because he can't fix it he wants a refund. Ok well I've sent him a message already saying "I won't give a refund, as I've described it correctly and he reason is totally unfair'.
You sold it as spares or repairs. The fact that he can't repair it is not your fault. I would hope eBay side with you.
I don't see why ebay would take their side???????

You clearly sold a item as spare or repair, just because the buyer risked buying and cant repair he now wants a refund? they shouldn't have risked it in the first place. I dont see how this is a "item not as described" case as everything seems as you have described, not your fault the buyer cant fix what they bought
JaYy_dOg

I don't see why ebay would take their side???????You clearly sold a item … I don't see why ebay would take their side???????You clearly sold a item as spare or repair, just because the buyer risked buying and cant repair he now wants a refund? they shouldn't have risked it in the first place. I dont see how this is a "item not as described" case as everything seems as you have described, not your fault the buyer cant fix what they bought

Believe me, as a seller on eBay with 8500+ feedback.....the term "I don't see why ebay would take their side" has absolutely no grounds what so ever.....eBay always takes the buyers side.....ALWAYS!!

But if you had clearly stated that the item was not working, and no returns were accepted, You should be good, It's all about specifying in your listing.
If the guy has said "i cant fix it" that means he's opened it up and tampered with it!. He also may have removed a part or broken a part. good luck
Basically a classic case of someone thinking they could make a quick buck trying to fix a laptop, realising they can't so they want some damage limitation, typical ebay buyer.
just tell the buyer i am not happy with any returns as it was sold spares or repairs and ask him to relist it on ebay himself and sell it. its what i done manier time when i didnt need or want anything after a while. he will most likely get near the same price as he paid.
I agree with CookinBat and Sambat. Isn't it like a warranty that if you have opened it up and fiddled about inside it's invalid. I'm sure that it's not right that he has 'used' it in trying to fix it, can't, so wants to return it. I would also be worried that he has in fact stripped the part that he wanted and now wants to return it and get his money back. It would also be a bit of a job for you to check nothing is missing from the inside - would you then be able to put in a claim if he hadn't returned the complete or true item?
Similar happened to me sold a laptop as not working spares or repair.
Buyer wanted a refund as he could not fix it.
I disputed it and ebay/PayPal found in my favour.
Err if the buyer has opened the laptop it cannot comeback in the same condition so it is a no refund of all you know the buyer may have removed something from the item. My reasoning of this is that the buyerSaw what he was buying the only reason he cannot use it is that it doesn't contain the bits he wants
Report him on ebay, go to report buyer, then click on 'buyer abused a buyer protection programme'.
You stated spares and repairs.

You stated the screen didnt work.

You stated no refunds.

He has opened it up and altered the condition of the item.

He doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Refuse!
sound like classic ebay scam again , you likely to get something back, tho unlikely to be laptop sold.

stat your case to ebay thu help section as they tend to lean towards buyer in every case hope it works out
I can't see how you can lose tbh. You clearly stated it was for spares/parts and that the screen didn't work. Sounds like as some have said he's tired to fix it or he'll take out the parts he wants and then try and send you back your laptop with missing/duff parts. Be strong and stand your ground. You as the seller have done nothing wrong!!!
I HATE eBay - Phew, that's better!!!
If selling as spares or repairs olways state it may have more folts so that can't make things up
Bungle1972

If selling as spares or repairs olways state it may have more folts so … If selling as spares or repairs olways state it may have more folts so that can't make things up

why you replying to a thread from over 3 years ago ?
Wonder what the outcome of the case was.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants