Ebay buyer wants items sent to different address.

Sold some rare coins on eBay and the buyer wants me to send them to his mums house as he says his is a building site? My first instinct is this is a scam, either he'll claim they didn't arrive, wrong address, chargeback down the line etc. Even though they are being sent special delivery and are insured should I just say I will only post to the registered address as it's almost £800 of coins! This is the first time this has happened to me and I would really appreciate any advice from anybody this has happened to or has an opinion on. Thanks in advance.

25 Comments

Only send to registered eBay address, it could be a compromised account which has purchased the coins, don't understand why they cant take mail at his 'building site' if they are a legitimate buyer

The buyer can have multiple addresses on PayPal

I'm not a seller but buy regularly, as a seller would not be covered by a PayPal address

I wouldn't do it as I've been stung in the past after someone bought a galaxy tab off me and asked me to send it to a different address and several weeks later claimed it hadn't arrived and eBay found in their favour.

Wouldn't be selling anything of that value on eBay after the horror stories of buyers complaining for reasons which weren't true and then opening cases to get their money back and eBay siding with the buyer each time.

I wouldn't do that. Tell him to add his mum's address as his address on PayPal. Defo a scam. The buyer should know better how eBay works. Protect yourself

Surely they could collect it from the post office if their original address is not available. What is their feedback like?

scam 99.99%

Original Poster

Feedback 70 mostly low value items but selling some of the coins recently that I'm selling

Don't do it. EBay states that you have to post to the address on the address book only

Don't take a risk.. Just refuse to send it to another address..

Send to the address on the PayPal receipt and it's fine. If he has paid with the receipt showing a different address and messaged you after with an alternate then apologise and state you can only dispatch to the address on the PayPal receipt and refund. If you send them to any other address than that on the PayPal payment you'll have no protection.

PayPal won't cover you if you detract from their payment instructions. Avoid.

Original Poster

I contacted him to say I would only send to a registered address and he said fine and to send it registered post. I was always going to send it by Royal Mail Special Delivery. Is there any other way I can protect myself or is that all I can do? Thanks for all your comments.

make sure coins are actually covered by royal mail insurance, some stuff isnt

beermonster12521

I contacted him to say I would only send to a registered address and he … I contacted him to say I would only send to a registered address and he said fine and to send it registered post. I was always going to send it by Royal Mail Special Delivery. Is there any other way I can protect myself or is that all I can do? Thanks for all your comments.

cancel the sale, cash on collection / delivery, video yourself sealing and handing over the package in the post office etc

always a risk selling high value items on eBay, not a lot else you can do

if they attempt to scam you, threaten with police

eslick

Wouldn't be selling anything of that value on eBay after the horror … Wouldn't be selling anything of that value on eBay after the horror stories of buyers complaining for reasons which weren't true and then opening cases to get their money back and eBay siding with the buyer each time.

​ive had this before. i now uv mark everything i sell and take loads of pics as proof and have won two cases under their buyer gaurantee..

don't do it you will lose your seller protection.

and don't send it by royal mail. they are an awful company to deal with when things go wrong.

steveblackman

and don't send it by royal mail. they are an awful company to deal with … and don't send it by royal mail. they are an awful company to deal with when things go wrong.

not as long as you use the right service never had a problem

steveblackman

and don't send it by royal mail. they are an awful company to deal with … and don't send it by royal mail. they are an awful company to deal with when things go wrong.

Who do you recommend to send £800 worth of goods then?

jb66

Who do you recommend to send £800 worth of goods then?

royal mail special delivery would cover that amount

It's very easy to add an address to PayPal, I do it all the time when I send gift. Cancel the transaction. Get them to add the correct address and re-send payment. Not an issue if they're genuine.
When the new payment comes through, ensure you're still covered by sellers' guarantee. My account is very old and with thousands of successful transactions, so my new addresses seem to be verified straight away, but may vary for other accounts. Not sure how this protects PayPal against compromised accounts but if it's coming up with the guarantee, it becomes their problem

I ordered a bath tub to be delivered to a different address and it was fine but i specified the different delivery address at the purchase stage so the ebay receipt stated that the bath tub would be delivered to the address that I had requested.

If this is not specified on the purchase itself when the buyer initially bought it, then I would say don't agree to send it to a different address to what it stated on the purchase. although i bought mine from a buy it now option on an ebay shop so not sure if this is different to an auction bid purchase.

Original Poster

Hi all. Thanks for all the advice. I've taken loads of pictures and sent it to the registered eBay address by Royal Mail Special Delivery with up to £1000 insurance. Hoping I'm just being paranoid but I suppose you're always taking some kind of risk selling anything of value on eBay. Thanks again and I'll update when and if I get feedback!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Car Leasing Deals (Audi, Golf or Scirocco)23
    2. Any know of offers on London eye and Maddam Tussauds please11
    3. E-liquid44
    4. Acer RT280k Monitor refuses to sleep.56

See more discussions