Ebay buyer wants to return an item

Found 10th Mar
Hi there, i am looking for an advice regarding an item i sold on ebay.
I sold a pushchair two weeks ago, today i received a message from the buyer says its not as in the listing as it does have orange stripes! Although its shows orange stripes in the listing but buyer says its more orange in real life!
Anyway they sent a return request, in the return request ebay says if i accept the request i will be responsible to cover the return postage!!!
It cost me £9 to send and now another £9 or more for return!!
Thats a big loss for me!
Since when seller is responsible to pay return postage? I have returned a couple of things in the past and seller did not cover the return costs.
Does ebay changed their conditions?
Any advice please? The pushchair is brand new and exactly as in the pictures, no fault from my side so why should i pay for return postage?
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
Hi there I don’t know much about ebay returns but I think that’s unreasonable why don’t you call ebay and explain they are being unfair and want to return because of the colour even though you had uploaded the photo I think the buyer should pay for returns because they are returning it because they are not satisfied with the colour instead of there being anything wrong with the item, i think it’s best to sell on Shpock Hun because it’s easier and you don’t have to pay a fee hope this helps xx
tel:+44-345-355-3229

That’s the ebay number
They are effectively claiming that what you advertised and what they have received do not conform to the contract formed and rejecting it.

In this situation they will get a refund regardless on any action on your part. If you want your goods returned then you need to arrange.

If you have conformed with the contract and they changed their mind it would be the buyers responsibility to incur costs in returning.

What is right and wrong and if the orange in your advert matched their expectation in real life isn't what I am answering in your dispute - just laying out the regulations.
Further thing to note... Lots of Chinese sellers state that "due to difference in monitors, there may be variations in colours.." or something like that. It gives them wriggle room. Maybe you should consider this? Good luck.
Original Poster
mrty28 m ago

Further thing to note... Lots of Chinese sellers state that "due to …Further thing to note... Lots of Chinese sellers state that "due to difference in monitors, there may be variations in colours.." or something like that. It gives them wriggle room. Maybe you should consider this? Good luck.

I am an individual seller, i am not making profit. I am selling unwanted pushchair i bought but not needed anymore.
Thats why i feel its unfair to pay the return postage as i am not a retailer!
Your best bet if they paid by Paypal is tell the buyer he can get refund postage from Paypal. If buyer is reasonable he will follow this and both of you are not out of pocket.

You can search HUKD for threads about the paypal refunds. Sadly if not, you will have to pay the postage.

edit there you go Just send link to buyer and its up to £15 per claim

paypal.com/uk/…rns
Edited by: "shabbird" 10th Mar
I would advise you to call eBay and question them as you could possibly win this case. Pictures show the item clearly and they're questioning something clearly displayed. If not you might be able to persuade eBay to cover the return postage costs as previously quoted brightness/contrast on a monitor can make huge difference on colour appearances and I don't see this being your fault.

To me it sounds like someone needed a pushchair for a holiday or something and now don't need it anymore. It's very common for people to buy something, use it, then claim it's damaged/different to get a full refund.

Call eBay right away, you have nothing to lose and they'll be able to give you a definitive answer on how to proceed
toto12335 m ago

I am an individual seller, i am not making profit. I am selling unwanted …I am an individual seller, i am not making profit. I am selling unwanted pushchair i bought but not needed anymore.Thats why i feel its unfair to pay the return postage as i am not a retailer!

I'm not implying anything. EBay is not what it used to be, it's a dog eat dog place to trade. The only way to minimise risk is to cover every possible avenue, and then people will invent be ways to rip you off. Gumtree is the answer, or Facebook marketplace.... Cash on collection.
Best option nowadays is to sell gumtree schpock Facebook etc as that's cash on collection and people can look at item before taking away, and your less likely to be relipped off, just use common sense if selling something a little expensive. I now avoid eBay for selling as like others have said people want something for nothing and always look for a way to get it free or at a reduced cost.
Not that it's just buyers trying it on I purchased some UV codes the other week which the seller had already used and he tried fobbing me off saying he'll look into it. Funny thing was I did a live chat and proved the codes were redeemed two days previous, so soon got a refund.
Tldr use face to face selling platforms, it may take a little longer to sell you may get a little less but you are less likely to get taken for a ride. Hope you get it sorted
Call them and argue the goods were as described and delivered via tracking. Not faulty or broken in any way so you kept your end of the agreement.

Ebay is almost 99% in favour of the buyer though. Good luck.
Original Poster
Thanks for your advice all
I have searched and found that many sellers lose the case even if there is no fault from their side.
I have decided to offer a partial refund of £9 to the buyer (thats the postage cost i paid and will lose it if i refund the buyer) that will save me the hassle of the whole return process.
Buyer accepted straight away.
To be honest i think they like the pushchair but they were trying to get something from me.
By the way i have just checked their feedback and found 4 negative feedback for them as a seller!
I can't believe eBay still let private punters sell on there, it's an absolute joke of a service that leaves you at the mercy of idiotic, criminal buyers.
There are either different rules with big brand sellers or they can afford to waste their money dealing with the lying scuzzers.
I now car boot things, Schpock and Gumtree are full of scammers and time wasters too.
Back to basics; when you create an ad, you have the option to NOT accept returns. You overlooked that and are paying the price. (Don't shoot the messenger. Its a simple fact). It is quiet normal for a private buyer ot not accept returns so long as the description including photos would be viewed by a reasonable person as accurately describing the goods

Did you description adequately describe the item? You say it has an orange stripe the buyer is not happy with. Is that exactly the same orange stripe that the manufacturer put on it? Did the buyer ask for better pictures?

Did the buyer respond to you immediately or take weeks (tell them to b****r off) or days (they are under a legal obligation to inspect auction goods on receipt). The response from them needs to be within 24 hours of receipt for a court to take it seriously.

If you described a standard item accurately and the pics you took show the colour then you are home dry. Tell eBay to get stuffed if they try it on. You have UK law on your side and despite what ebay thinks, UK law governs this contract.
Original Poster
ccnp26 m ago

Back to basics; when you create an ad, you have the option to NOT accept …Back to basics; when you create an ad, you have the option to NOT accept returns. You overlooked that and are paying the price. (Don't shoot the messenger. Its a simple fact). It is quiet normal for a private buyer ot not accept returns so long as the description including photos would be viewed by a reasonable person as accurately describing the goodsDid you description adequately describe the item? You say it has an orange stripe the buyer is not happy with. Is that exactly the same orange stripe that the manufacturer put on it? Did the buyer ask for better pictures? Did the buyer respond to you immediately or take weeks (tell them to b****r off) or days (they are under a legal obligation to inspect auction goods on receipt). The response from them needs to be within 24 hours of receipt for a court to take it seriously.If you described a standard item accurately and the pics you took show the colour then you are home dry. Tell eBay to get stuffed if they try it on. You have UK law on your side and despite what ebay thinks, UK law governs this contract.

I have chosen not to accept return.
But for ebay this does not mean anything, buyer still can return the item.
Pedantic point; if you mean you selected no returns accepted when posting the ad and the buyer asked no questions before buying, they have absolutely no grounds for being upset with the appearance of the item subject to the accuracy of your description.

Buyer can indeed return the item but that doesn't negate the sale and transfer of funds in payment. You don't have to accept the return. Reject it when it arrives and warn the sender that is what will happen and that it will only be made available for collection. If you have limited space etc you can also warn them it will be disposed of after, say, 30 days. The buyer would be very silly to return it without agreement. Their best bet is to appeal to eBay.

If Paypal is involved, be sure to warn them of the risks they run in returning funds under such circumstances.

If you have been open and honest in the ad, you can see this challenge off. The buyer won't like you but that is a different matter and a risk all sellers run on eBay.
toto1236 h, 32 m ago

I have chosen not to accept return.But for ebay this does not mean …I have chosen not to accept return.But for ebay this does not mean anything, buyer still can return the item.

Ebay are only giving a framework around the legislation in place required of them - ccnp seems to have a different interpretaton to me as to what consumer protection regulations are in place - this link gives it in more detail than I could Consumer rights act

You said you sold 2 weeks ago but under distance time to reject start on arrival of goods and you will see time frames detailed in the above link. Glad you got a reasonable compromise though.
ccnp13 h, 14 m ago

Pedantic point; if you mean you selected no returns accepted when posting …Pedantic point; if you mean you selected no returns accepted when posting the ad and the buyer asked no questions before buying, they have absolutely no grounds for being upset with the appearance of the item subject to the accuracy of your description. Buyer can indeed return the item but that doesn't negate the sale and transfer of funds in payment. You don't have to accept the return. Reject it when it arrives and warn the sender that is what will happen and that it will only be made available for collection. If you have limited space etc you can also warn them it will be disposed of after, say, 30 days. The buyer would be very silly to return it without agreement. Their best bet is to appeal to eBay.If Paypal is involved, be sure to warn them of the risks they run in returning funds under such circumstances. If you have been open and honest in the ad, you can see this challenge off. The buyer won't like you but that is a different matter and a risk all sellers run on eBay.

If the item sent back gets refused, OP will lose the item and the money. Bad advice!
PayPal themselves told me that if an item returned is rejected by the seller the buyer will still be refunded!

Also, the no returns in the ad is only about returning an item for a change of mind.
Business sellers can't put that as they are obliged to accept change of mind returns under the law.

If the buyer finds the item isn't as described they have the right to return it as it's not what they bought!
Bertz997 h, 45 m ago

Ebay are only giving a framework around the legislation in place required …Ebay are only giving a framework around the legislation in place required of them - ccnp seems to have a different interpretaton to me as to what consumer protection regulations are in place - this link gives it in more detail than I could Consumer rights actYou said you sold 2 weeks ago but under distance time to reject start on arrival of goods and you will see time frames detailed in the above link. Glad you got a reasonable compromise though.

Distance selling regulations don't apply to private sellers.

The "no returns" is no returns if you change your mind.
Buyers will always be able to ask for a return if they claim the item isn't as described.
Seems like this isn't clear to many on here.

Best thing for OP is to take the item back and resell it to someone else. Buyer will win the case most likely if they say it isn't as described, even if it is.
Doing stupid things like refusing to take the delivery of the item returned will only lead to losing both the money and the item. I'm talking about if the buyer wins the case and gets to return the item as it will be deemed not as described.
The buyer isn't obliged to ask for more pics or more details... The ad should already be as complete as possible. OP won't win a case basing their defence on that.
The only way to win the case is by proving the buyer's statement false.
If OP didn't specify the colour of the stripes in the description that could be a problem as colours can be slightly different depending on what screen is used and depending on who sees them.

For OP... if the buyer requests a return claiming item not as described you seller pay for the postage.

You seller don't pay for the postage only if the item is returned because the buyer changed their mind. Business sellers have to allow returns for this reason within the timeframe stated by the law. Private sellers don't have to (see the no returns you can put in the listing).
Edited by: "hearts22" 11th Mar
hearts221 h, 2 m ago

Distance selling regulations don't apply to private sellers.

Was unaware that they had redefined seller to trader in the latest rounds of the consumer rights and protection acts. Although the sales of goods acts still covers all and the tone can be deduced from what I have linked although your point is very valid.
hearts221 h, 2 m ago

The "no returns" is no returns if you change your mind. Buyers will always …The "no returns" is no returns if you change your mind. Buyers will always be able to ask for a return if they claim the item isn't as described. Seems like this isn't clear to many on here.

Think we are both on the same page here - see my first post above!
hearts221 h, 2 m ago

Best thing for OP.....

In agreement - albeit I am not sure if you are directing this to the Op, myself or ccnp.

The OP has already negotiated a compromise in refunding the cost of return the buyer has accepted. Imagine not their ideal but path of least resistance.

Following ccnp's advise, the buyer claiming to have received goods not conforming to the contract has the responsibility to look after the sellers property and enable their return. As you say, if the seller does not arrange collection within a reasonable time frame or reach a reasonable compromise they could lose both goods and the money from the transaction.
"Do not accept returns" is absolutely irrelevant on Ebay. It might as well not be there.

You can very easily get scammed as a seller on Ebay - but if you must sell on there

1) Never send anything without tracking info. Buyer can claim it didn't arrive and without tracking proof you automatically lose the case
2) Don't sell very expensive items on there. Buyer can be buying it just to replace a broken one then you get shafted by Ebay.
3) Bulky/larger items which could cost a lot in postage - offer them as cash on collection only
4) Set up some seller rules to filter out buyers not in the same country, buyers with 0/negative feedback and a few other options to try to protect yourself. (I can't remember how to do this but you can set up some "buyer requirements")
5) Don't use Ebay.

Sadly in this case it looks like the buyer just needed it for a short time, replaced it for a broken one or some other way got it for free. Ebay seller protection is next to worthless.
Edited by: "xxbluedragonxx" 11th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants