Ebay Buyer Wants to Return Football Socks?

Posted 5th Dec 2019
Hey guys

Odd one here and more a question of principle rather than £.

I bought my son a pair of football socks from Sports Direct and the numpties sent the wrong size. I forgot about them for a couple of weeks and rather than ****about with SD, I simply listed them on ebay and sold them for what we paid plus postage on top (included in price - £8 all in).

The socks were brand new and in perfect condition (I have the photo from my original listing). I get them back a week later as it looks like someone at Royal Mail has peeled the address label off (it couldn't have fallen off). Anyway I contact the buyer and explain and resend them.

All is good until about 2 weeks ago when I get a message saying the socks have fallen apart and they want a refund as they've now had to buy replacements from the club shop (well that's impossible as they are last seasons and the club have none otherwise I'd have bought them direct).

They sent a picture and it looks more like they have been cut rather than fallen apart or maybe caught in a washing machine or something.

3356942.jpg
I said I'd speak to ebay as I don't think I'm liable as they were in perfect condition and to contact New Balance (who make the socks).

They say it's my responsibility. It's not a great deal of money but I think someone is taking the **** (maybe they had another pair) or they are trying to pull a fast one.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are - seems a bit odd to go to all this length for a pair of football socks.

Ta

WJUK
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

28 Comments
Looks to me like it's separated at a seam, then frayed as it was being worn at the time - though what you say about not being able to buy them at the team shop does sound suspicious. Maybe they decided to spend the extra money and get this years colours?
I don't see that you really have much choice here - always an issue with clothing as you can't tell how things will wear. Selling clothing is a gamble, with a high percentage of returns, which is one reason why stores have such high mark ups.
Looks like they've been chewed up by a dog.
I’m not sure what eBay would say, but it looks like someone has shredded them. Seems a bit unlikely that this was just through normal wear. I guess (because eBay usually sides with the buyer unfortunately), they will have to return them to you and you return them to Sports Direct. This isn’t how it should be, as you are not at fault.
fanpages06/12/2019 00:21

...and the asterisks over the f-word.

Clearly at this early hour of the morning admin is still getting p-worded down the pub.
AndyRoyd06/12/2019 00:23

Clearly at this early hour of the morning admin is still getting p-worded …Clearly at this early hour of the morning admin is still getting p-worded down the pub.

paralytic?
p-word has been removed.
f-word remains in unedited form.

[EDIT]: Both now (fully) replaced with asterisks [/EDIT]
Edited by: "fanpages" 6th Dec 2019
fanpages06/12/2019 00:25

paralytic?

Pedantic, cos more asterixis have arrived. Dunno if OP owns those asterixis or if they're admin's sloshed asterixii.
AndyRoyd06/12/2019 00:27

Pedantic, cos more asterixis have arrived. Dunno if OP owns those …Pedantic, cos more asterixis have arrived. Dunno if OP owns those asterixis or if they're admin's sloshed asterixii.

Nope. He's still there:

[ hotukdeals.com/com…584 ]
Back to the issue!
The perils of trading I'm afraid. You need to be a big trader with a high turnover to withstand such losses as this. Ebay tends to side with the buyer otherwise their reputation suffers and ultimately their business.
Refund and put it down to experience.
Cheers guys. It was the P word btw
Have a look at their feedback left for others to see if there is any sign that they have done this before.

I had something similar happen when I sold a brand new duvet and the buyer said it was damaged when they opened it.

I asked them to return it and it clearly had been washed as it smelt of washing powder/fabric conditioner so the buyer must have torn it.

I had another one where the buyer said the handles on a bag had been damaged and my OH said the picture they sent looked like it had been photo shopped so I asked them to return it and they returned a mailing bag with paper in it no bag

I don't sell much any longer as I can't be doing with unscrupulous people.
I'll admit, I'm quite puzzled why you thought it too much "trouble" to do the obviously easy option and return to SD and get the correct size. Job done. Instead, you went to the "trouble" of creating an Ebay listing, photo(s), communication, processing of sale, packaging and dispatch of the item? This was easier?

As to the item, it does look as if it's split open at the seam. I guess it's hard to say with clothing whether the buyer is "trying it on" (no pun intended) but turning the situation around, you'd be pretty miffed if you pulled your new sock on and it just split open! you'd want a refund too. Therefore, I'd say it's a "take it on the chin" situation.

Alternatively, I know it's further hassle but why not get the socks back - refund the customer - then go back to SD with the exact same problem? At the end of the day, you were still the customer and the socks you purchased were not up to scratch, were they? You could even then specify that you've discovered they weren't the size you ordered anyway...

Regards, Phsy.
AndyRoyd06/12/2019 00:27

Pedantic, cos more asterixis have arrived. Dunno if OP owns those …Pedantic, cos more asterixis have arrived. Dunno if OP owns those asterixis or if they're admin's sloshed asterixii.

Asterisk.

Not
39275557-GOsyS.jpg

Fanpages beat me to it
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 6th Dec 2019
Phsycronix06/12/2019 11:22

I'll admit, I'm quite puzzled why you thought it too much "trouble" to do …I'll admit, I'm quite puzzled why you thought it too much "trouble" to do the obviously easy option and return to SD and get the correct size. Job done. Instead, you went to the "trouble" of creating an Ebay listing, photo(s), communication, processing of sale, packaging and dispatch of the item? This was easier?As to the item, it does look as if it's split open at the seam. I guess it's hard to say with clothing whether the buyer is "trying it on" (no pun intended) but turning the situation around, you'd be pretty miffed if you pulled your new sock on and it just split open! you'd want a refund too. Therefore, I'd say it's a "take it on the chin" situation.Alternatively, I know it's further hassle but why not get the socks back - refund the customer - then go back to SD with the exact same problem? At the end of the day, you were still the customer and the socks you purchased were not up to scratch, were they? You could even then specify that you've discovered they weren't the size you ordered anyway...Regards, Phsy.

Only problem is to get the socks back, you'll have to pay return postage, which makes it less viable taking the chance on awful SD customer service.

Aside from that, and the strangeness of the whole situation, ebay will 100% side with the buyer (it's their business model) so there's not much you can do apart from trying to keep buyer happy (annoying as that may seem) so you don't get bad feedback
If you want to make long term money on eBay anything like this under £10 I just apologise and refund . Not worth the hassle and negs for a £10 or so
Edited by: "ashmac" 6th Dec 2019
On another note I hope there season falls apart like there socks
ashmac06/12/2019 12:21

If you want to make long term money on eBay anything like this under £10 I …If you want to make long term money on eBay anything like this under £10 I just apologise and refund . Not worth the hassle and negs for a £10 or so

Yes. As someone who sells a lot I also find it useful to send the buyer a message on dispatch saying when it's likely to arrive and if any issues I'm always available so get in touch Etc. I just copy and paste it so takes 2 secs, but makes it slightly more personal and touch wood I've only had one of these issues in 4 or 5 years.
Ask them to send them back to you then you'll refund. They probably won't bother.
jmilli206/12/2019 12:49

Ask them to send them back to you then you'll refund. They probably won't …Ask them to send them back to you then you'll refund. They probably won't bother.

The seller pays return postage though
Edit - just checked out the rules wow didn't know that. Sure I've paid return postage before when I didn't need to
Edited by: "jmilli2" 6th Dec 2019
jmilli206/12/2019 13:04

Edit - just checked out the rules wow didn't know that. Sure I've paid …Edit - just checked out the rules wow didn't know that. Sure I've paid return postage before when I didn't need to

Yep - some sellers take advantage of buyers by saying send it back and I'll refund. More often though, buyers take advantage of sellers by saying 'not happy etc' I can either return at your cost or you give me a partial refund and I keep item.
It's been torn open, quite obvious taking the p. You can fight this though. I don't think eBay record it on their account otherwise worth fighting.
Do you have the receipt still?. If so send them a photo of the receipt and direct them to the store for an exchange or refund.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions