eBay, Can I refuse delivery, and still get a full refund?

Found 27th May 2015
I bought a leather jacket on Monday morning via eBay, and told the seller I needed it by tonight at the latest, as I'm going away to the Isle of Man TT tomorrow morning (27/05). I wasn't notified via eBay whether or not it had been sent, but I thought it had been sent anyway, as sellers don't always mark as dispatched on eBay.

I then got a message off the seller at 05:10am this morning, saying he will send it via 48 hour tracked, and I should get it in 2-3 days. I then sent the seller a message at 07:50am this morning, saying I paid for 24 hour tracked, and told him the jacket won't reach me in time now, so I asked if he could he cancel the order, twice. I then was notified at 16:10pm this afternoon that he sent it anyway, but now with 24 hour tracked!

I had to order another jacket this morning on Amazon with Prime delivery to go to a friends house, who will be going to the TT at a later date. Will I still get a refund if I refuse delivery of the parcel, if I'm still in when they try and deliver it?

Thanks.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
18 Comments

As it's Ebay with all the complicated rules around tracking numbers. doing it this way would solely be down to the sellers honesty as you will not have a tracking number for the return parcel. You could say that he cannot prove it's been delivered, but many postman nowadays just mark it as delivered.

Plus they will not return it straight away as they will hold it at the local sorting office for you to pick it up. Do not know the exact time scales involved with that.

Edited by: "Argoj" 27th May 2015

If you do refuse it, make sure you right REFUSED on the package or the parcel company's machine. Otherwise Mr Parcel man might simply scrawl a name and keep the item.

Original Poster

So, would it be better to just take the parcel in and open a resolution with eBay, to have the seller pay the return cost, is that how it works?

If your still in when they try to deliver it, why would you refuse it?

Original Poster

So I don't have to pay the return cost, after I told the seller I no longer wanted it. I'm going to be £8+ out of pocket, when he could have just canceled the order then and there.

Plus, now I've had to order another bike jacket, as I mentioned earlier, through the incompetence of the seller not sending the item sooner as instructed, and which I paid extra for.
Edited by: "JohnIIIrd" 27th May 2015

There's complications with refusing a parcel, I wouldn't bother with any of that, I'd take the parcel and return it recorded otherwise if the seller says he doesn't recover it back you're going to be more than £8 out of pocket.

He will refund you the postage you paid to get to you, but you'll have to pay for the return postage which is about £4.

Original Poster

rhysccfc31

There's complications with refusing a parcel, I wouldn't bother with any … There's complications with refusing a parcel, I wouldn't bother with any of that, I'd take the parcel and return it recorded otherwise if the seller says he doesn't recover it back you're going to be more than £8 out of pocket.He will refund you the postage you paid to get to you, but you'll have to pay for the return postage which is about £4.

Cheers mate, I understand where your coming from. I have returned items before, and always send things back recorded, to cover my back. Where can I send a leather biker jacket back for £4, Hermes? I thought it might be more than that, but I was thinking of Royal Mail. Thanks again for the guidance, like I said, I've never refused delivery before, so was just curious.

I'm guessing a bike jacket weight around a kg roughly? So small parcel second class recorded is £3.90 with Royal Mail, or you could use Hermes, but I usually just stick with Royal Mail.

Is the seller totally at fault here? Did you discuss delivery etc. with them before you committed to buying the jacket? Whilst you did pay for 24hr delivery what did the seller indicate as a dispatch time?

Original Poster

ipswich78

Is the seller totally at fault here? Did you discuss delivery etc. with … Is the seller totally at fault here? Did you discuss delivery etc. with them before you committed to buying the jacket? Whilst you did pay for 24hr delivery what did the seller indicate as a dispatch time?

I let the seller know prior to ordering the jacket that I wanted it as soon as possible, and I left this message on the Seller Note:

Buyer note to seller
Hi, if you could ensure I receive this jacket as soon as possible, as I'm going away to the Isle of Man TT this Thursday morning, that would be great. Many thanks.

I let the seller know twice that I wanted to cancel the order this morning, but they still sent it out anyway this afternoon, with no guarantee of it coming in time tomorrow, furthermore, the seller didn't even reply to my messages. That's why I ordered it on Monday morning, to give enough leeway. So yes, the seller is at fault, plus he wanted to send it 48 hour tracked, after I paid for 24 hour tracked!

Original Poster

rhysccfc31

I'm guessing a bike jacket weight around a kg roughly? So small parcel … I'm guessing a bike jacket weight around a kg roughly? So small parcel second class recorded is £3.90 with Royal Mail, or you could use Hermes, but I usually just stick with Royal Mail.

Cheers rhysccfc31, I will send it back with Royal Mail 2nd class, to be on the safe side.

Did the listing state dispatch time frame? When I sell anything I can't always get to the post office right away so all my listings state dispatched within 4 working days Regardless of what method I use to send. That might be something to think about too. If they have stated not immediat. Dispatch or within 24 hours check with eBay see what they say

JohnIIIrd

I let the seller know prior to ordering the jacket that I wanted it as … I let the seller know prior to ordering the jacket that I wanted it as soon as possible, and I left this message on the Seller Note: Buyer note to sellerHi, if you could ensure I receive this jacket as soon as possible, as I'm going away to the Isle of Man TT this Thursday morning, that would be great. Many thanks.I let the seller know twice that I wanted to cancel the order this morning, but they still sent it out anyway this afternoon, with no guarantee of it coming in time tomorrow, furthermore, the seller didn't even reply to my messages. That's why I ordered it on Monday morning, to give enough leeway. So yes, the seller is at fault, plus he wanted to send it 48 hour tracked, after I paid for 24 hour tracked!

Did they confirm that they could do what you asked? If so I am sure they'll be helpful in letting you return and cancel the order.

Original Poster

nitelighter

Did the listing state dispatch time frame? When I sell anything I can't … Did the listing state dispatch time frame? When I sell anything I can't always get to the post office right away so all my listings state dispatched within 4 working days Regardless of what method I use to send. That might be something to think about too. If they have stated not immediat. Dispatch or within 24 hours check with eBay see what they say

The dispatch time was 1 day. I'm in talks with the seller now, so we have hopefully come to an amicable resolution regarding this unfortunate circumstance. I've told the seller I won't leave feedback until I have received a full refund, so its a ball in my court. I'm not going to leave negative feedback just to be a pain, I'll judge the situation on its merits, as I've sold on eBay too, and realize that things sometimes happen, although the seller could have done something to avoid this situation, which he clearly chose not to do.

Bought from eBay for years and have been thinking about selling something's recently, but after reading threads like this don't think I would bother. Adding that sort of note in a message after you commit and expecting to refuse delivery isn't right. Hope you get it sorted and hope the seller doesn't lose out.

Comment

eslick

Bought from eBay for years and have been thinking about selling … Bought from eBay for years and have been thinking about selling something's recently, but after reading threads like this don't think I would bother. Adding that sort of note in a message after you commit and expecting to refuse delivery isn't right. Hope you get it sorted and hope the seller doesn't lose out.

To be fair to the op, if it said dispatch within 1 day and was purchased on Monday morning, then you would expect it to be sent out by final post Tuesday for delivery Wednesday.

When it wasn't the op asked to cancel and the seller should have just cancelled and refunded there and then.

I've sold loads over the years on eBay and as long as you keep to your promises and have good customer service you're unlikely to have a problem.

Sellers fault, best thing to do is sell it back on.

rhysccfc31

I'm guessing a bike jacket weight around a kg roughly? So small parcel … I'm guessing a bike jacket weight around a kg roughly? So small parcel second class recorded is £3.90 with Royal Mail, or you could use Hermes, but I usually just stick with Royal Mail.

Lol, seriously?

I proper biker jacket would weigh well over a Kg, more like 5Kg.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions